Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARNG to AD

Greetings,

I have been reading that sometimes the transition from ARNG to AD, while still on contract, with the guard can be a challenge to say the least. I am going to BCT to this summer and then starting OCS afterwards. By 2014, I should have a MS in Applied Math, and I may go for a PhD. After my PhD (2016-2017), I would like to transfer to AD. I would have about 4-5 years remaining left on my ARNG contract. I would like to branch into MI, Combat Arms, or Chemical.

Realistically, how hard would it be to transfer to AD with this plan?

Thanks.
    Last edited by dwsmith; March 27th, 2012, 12:45 PM. Reason: grammatically unsound

Re: ARNG to AD

It would be very hard, regardless of the plan. It's tough to get the guard to release you and then it's also tough to get AD to accept you as prior service.

Comment

The general recommendation is to enlist active now if that's what you ultimately want. Although things might be different 5 years from now. No one knows.

Comment

Originally posted by dwsmith View Post
        Greetings,

I have been reading that sometimes the transition from ARNG to AD while still on contract with the guard can be a challenge to say the least. I am going to BCT to this summer and then starting OCS afterwards. By 2014, I should have a MS in Applied Math and I may go for a PhD. After my PhD (2016-2017), I would like to transfer to AD. I would 4-5 years remaining left on my ARNG contract. I would like to branch into MI, Combat Arms, or Chemical.

Realistically, how hard would it be to transfer to AD with this plan?

Thanks.
        Given the current numbers of the active army, their imminent downsizing and non interest in prior service applicants....you need a new plan.

Comment

Unfortunately going active now wouldn't be conducive to my educational goals. So I am going to continue with the aforementioned plan. I will see if I can leverage my education as means to get in because I would qualified to work at DARPA and the NSA with a PhD and some service branches have members in the NSA.

Thanks for the input though.

Comment

Understood. Drive on and hope things work out when the time comes. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
            X