X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prior Enlisted Air Force and Question about credits

I'm currently working on a bachelor's degree with the intention of applying for OCS for either Active or Reserve Army, but had so far overlooked the guard. Once I remembered the NG existed, I noticed that the officer requirements for it(at least to initially commission) are only 90 credit hours, which I meet. Now one thing that I was wondering about was the source of some of my credits. They are CCAF(Community College of the Air Force) credits, which are fully accredited credits awarded for certain AF training(my associates degree is also from the CCAF). Even though they are regular college credits from an accredited institution on paper, would the NG still count those even though they are credit for enlisted training?

The second part of my question, is if my Air Force prior service "counts" as far as attendance of basic training is concerned and that sort of thing, or would I have to start all over again and go through basic training again before I could go the OCS?

And finally, I know competitiveness of officer slots is going to vary from state to state(I'm in Ohio), but general anecdotes and information would be welcome on the subject.

Re: Prior Enlisted Air Force and Question about credits

Originally posted by bsharitt View Post
    I'm currently working on a bachelor's degree with the intention of applying for OCS for either Active or Reserve Army, but had so far overlooked the guard. Once I remembered the NG existed, I noticed that the officer requirements for it(at least to initially commission) are only 90 credit hours, which I meet. Now one thing that I was wondering about was the source of some of my credits. They are CCAF(Community College of the Air Force) credits, which are fully accredited credits awarded for certain AF training(my associates degree is also from the CCAF). Even though they are regular college credits from an accredited institution on paper, would the NG still count those even though they are credit for enlisted training?

The second part of my question, is if my Air Force prior service "counts" as far as attendance of basic training is concerned and that sort of thing, or would I have to start all over again and go through basic training again before I could go the OCS?

And finally, I know competitiveness of officer slots is going to vary from state to state(I'm in Ohio), but general anecdotes and information would be welcome on the subject.
    If an accredited college awarded you credits for your enlisted time than the Guard will accept them as well.

Concerning basic training, yes you will go to Army basic, no matter what branch you decide on, Active, Reserves, or Guard.

This is best answered by your states OSM. Anything I tell you would only apply if you commissioned in MS.

Comment

Originally posted by Marine2Guard View Post
      Concerning basic training, yes you will go to Army basic, no matter what branch you decide on, Active, Reserves, or Guard.
      When I looked into Active and Reserve(never go around to the Guard) when I was considering just going back in enlisted, I got the impression that I would be able to get back in as without re-attending basic(I've only been out two years, still on IRR). Is this an OCS specific thing?

Comment

No, this is a change that happened last year.

Comment

That's odd, I talked to the recruiter in January, but it seems like the Army seems to be changing its rules everything every other day here recently. Not a big deal I suppose, not like basic training is particular difficult in any branch, though unfortunate redundancy is redundant and unfortunate.

Comment

Next question based on that information then. What would I be paid as when I attend basic training? I was an E-5 when I left the Air Force. From what I've seen at least OCS pay grade is E-5 (or highest rank attained if over E-5) with some states at E-6 for NG OCS, but I haven't seen any information on basic training pay.

Comment

That's odd, I talked to the recruiter in January, but it seems like the Army seems to be changing its rules everything every other day here recently. Not a big deal I suppose, not like basic training is particular difficult in any branch, though unfortunate redundancy is redundant and unfortunate.
              I hope you mean you talked to a recruiter in Jan of 2011, because if you talked to a recruiter in Jan of this year he was very out of the loop. It's been going on for over a year. Also, it's not quite as redundant as you might think, airforce and army basic training is quite different.

Next question based on that information then. What would I be paid as when I attend basic training? I was an E-5 when I left the Air Force. From what I've seen at least OCS pay grade is E-5 (or highest rank attained if over E-5) with some states at E-6 for NG OCS, but I haven't seen any information on basic training pay.
              You "should" be able to enlist with your previous rank, in which case you would go to basic as an E5. You wouldn't start getting paid as an E6 until you started OCS.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                I hope you mean you talked to a recruiter in Jan of 2011, because if you talked to a recruiter in Jan of this year he was very out of the loop. It's been going on for over a year. Also, it's not quite as redundant as you might think, airforce and army basic training is quite different.

You "should" be able to enlist with your previous rank, in which case you would go to basic as an E5. You wouldn't start getting paid as an E6 until you started OCS.
                It was actually January of this year. I just called, not actually went into an office, so I suppose there was a chance I didn't talk to an actual recruiter and instead some sort of assistant who wasn't sure. Either way basic training is easy unless you're a moron or horribly out of shape. I'll admit I've looked more into Navy OCS more than Army at this point, so maybe basic training would be a bit more redundant for the Navy since most of the basic stuff is rolled into OCS there in just a tougher form. Either way I'm not worried about it.

That's good to hear about the pay thing. I had heard that when attending basic training everyone gets paid as an E-1 regardless of rank, though I think that had more to do with people who were coming in with a higher rank due to college credit(I came in as an E-2, but don't think I got that pay until after basic) and stuff like that. I didn't think it was the same for prior service, but I wanted to be sure since E-1 pay for the duration of basic training wouldn't really work for me.

I suppose at this point I need to decide what I want to do. Active Army would have been my first choice, but I'm just now 28 and should already have my degree done and package turned in for OCS, so that door is closed to me. Active Navy was a thought, but for the jobs I actually want, I'll need age waivers in an already highly competitive field, so I may be setting my self up for disappointment there. So my choices seem to be either less desirable jobs(for me at least) in the Air Force or Navy or try for my preferred jobs in the Army via the Reserves or National Guard. Right now the guard is winning mostly because I could do it almost immediately rather than wait the 1 or two years before I finish my degree and try one of my other choices.

Comment

Hmm, my other post didn't seem to post. Anyway, now that I think back, I think maybe the person that I talked too(not certain it was actually a recruiter, I just called) may have have answered that I wouldn't not have to go through AIT(assuming I came in as an equivalent MOS) even though I was asking about basic. It was still nearly 3 months ago, so I can't be certain about that one conversation. Anyway not a big deal either way.

Comment

Either way basic training is easy unless you're a moron or horribly out of shape.
                    soo so true

Comment

Working...
                    X