Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Life for Officers (Or Any Guardsmen, Really)?

Hello all. As I mentioned in my first post (this being my second) I am a current ROTC cadet and am trying to get a feel for what life in the Guard will be like when I commission in 2015. My first thread was very general, so I decided to focus in on a subject that is quite important to me, or will be in the future: family. I realize like all soldiers there will be training and deployments, but I was curious as to how much time officers in particular get to spend with their families during regular drill months. I am planning on getting engaged to my girlfriend sometime after I am out of BOLC II and have a civilian job. From the posts I've seen around the forum and in my thread, I've gathered that the Guard can be a full-time commitment for officers even though it's considered a "part-time" military component. I'm opening this up to NCOs and other Guardsmen as well, but I'm most interested in the officer perspective: Do you have a decent amount of time to spend with family during regular drill months? Thanks ahead of time for your help and, of course, for doing all that you do.

Re: Family Life for Officers (Or Any Guardsmen, Really)?

I am an active duty officer currently on my third deployment to Afghanistan. When not in the field training for the month, I spend quality time with the family; especially with the 30 days leave I earn a year. So I would say that my NG counterparts should say yes unless your civilian job takes your time.

Comment

For starters, don't worry about getting engaged in 3+ years right now. The biggest mistake I had in college was having a serious girlfriend...at any rate, to answer your question, there is plenty of family time between drills. I mentioned previously I spend 8-10 hours / week (average) on company business. If you think about it, that's really only an hour or two per day, but sometimes more and sometimes less.

I appreciate your interest, but you're over thinking this. A lot. Enjoy your time in college, the rest will follow in due time.

Comment

I love it. Part-time is where it's at. The glorious citizen-solider briefly leaving his yeoman life to serve his State and Nation is the zenith of service in my mind's eye.

The cause is greater than the cost. Often it's difficult to move into position, depending on the location of your unit. There must be a synergy between your civilian employment and your service. Sometimes you have three day drills, or extra orders therefore your employer must be willing to assist in your vocation. You may have to work late on Friday, then drive across the state to be in formation early Saturday morning. Which will give you plenty of time to drink coffee and consider the weekend's actions. In between drills there is considerable amounts of work, Command Update Briefs, and preparation for the coming drills. Plus you must take care of your own administrative readiness, which is often a job in itself. It's all together wonderful. I say do it.

Comment

Originally posted by collk22 View Post
          For starters, don't worry about getting engaged in 3+ years right now. The biggest mistake I had in college was having a serious girlfriend...at any rate, to answer your question, there is plenty of family time between drills. I mentioned previously I spend 8-10 hours / week (average) on company business. If you think about it, that's really only an hour or two per day, but sometimes more and sometimes less.

I appreciate your interest, but you're over thinking this. A lot. Enjoy your time in college, the rest will follow in due time.
          Ha ha so I've been told. In fact, my girlfriend's been the one telling me not to stress out so much about the future and focus on living in the present. Thanks for the insight and advice. Ever since I first joined the military, I've always been one to make sure I know exactly what I'm getting into far ahead of time. Still trying to find that balance between stressing out and being prepared :-).

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
          I love it. Part-time is where it's at. The glorious citizen-solider briefly leaving his yeoman life to serve his State and Nation is the zenith of service in my mind's eye.

The cause is greater than the cost. Often it's difficult to move into position, depending on the location of your unit. There must be a synergy between your civilian employment and your service. Sometimes you have three day drills, or extra orders therefore your employer must be willing to assist in your vocation. You may have to work late on Friday, then drive across the state to be in formation early Saturday morning. Which will give you plenty of time to drink coffee and consider the weekend's actions. In between drills there is considerable amounts of work, Command Update Briefs, and preparation for the coming drills. Plus you must take care of your own administrative readiness, which is often a job in itself. It's all together wonderful. I say do it.
          Wow, you've read my mind, sir, thank you for the insight. Being a Citizen-Soldier has been my dream for awhile now, and now that I'm finishing up my first year of ROTC, I am more motivated than ever. All the feedback on here plus the support of my family, ROTC Battalion, and girlfriend has been really reassuring. Thank you all very much. I'm very certain I'm on the path I was meant to be on.

Comment

While I don't disagree with fmcityslicker, please understand you do need to put a significant amount of YOUR time into your job as a part time NG officer. Just doing drill weekends and no other work between drills will result in a poor OER, or at a minimum the lack of respect from your troops.

Comment

Originally posted by RobLyman View Post
              While I don't disagree with fmcityslicker, please understand you do need to put a significant amount of YOUR time into your job as a part time NG officer. Just doing drill weekends and no other work between drills will result in a poor OER, or at a minimum the lack of respect from your troops.
              Absolutely. I want to be able to put all of my effort into every facet of life equally. My troops are family, too.

Comment

Uh oh...this...
                Originally posted by jdark135 View Post
                my girlfriend's been the one telling me not to stress out so much about the future and focus on living in the present.
                = "I probably wont be around in 3 years, so lets just have fun for now"

Just kidding...I just wanted to give you one more thing to stress about.

Comment

Originally posted by RSP NCO View Post
                  Uh oh...this...

= "I probably wont be around in 3 years, so lets just have fun for now"

Just kidding...I just wanted to give you one more thing to stress about.
                  Ha ha ha ha ha, thanks for that, Sergeant. Nah, she's a keeper for sure. Puts up with me and with a smile on her face. And I'm an MSI: I don't know what stress is yet :-).

Comment

Working...
                  X