X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armor Officer

Does anyone have any information on becoming an Armor officer? Things such as quickest route, training requirements, and time it would take from joining to being MOS qualified.

Thanks

Re: Armor Officer

I don't really have specific info, but I can give you a general idea. First, if your not prior military then you will need to complete Army Basic Training and that is approx 11wks from start to finish (could be a week or two shorter or longer depending on how long reception takes). Then after Basic you will return to your home state to complete OCS. If you do the traditional OCS then it is approx 15 months long, if you go AOCS route then it is 8 wks. Finally, Armor Officer School is 19 wks long. So, the fastest possible would be 38 wks if you could do them back to back to back. However, that is extremely unlikely to happen and depending on your state if you're not prior service then you can expect to go through traditional OCS.

And since Armor is an Infantry slot (I believe) then there may be more training at Basic that I am not aware of. I hope that this gets you started. The best way to get the most accurate info is to talk to your local recruiter. If you have more specific questions let us know.

Comment

Originally posted by Portree228 View Post
      I don't really have specific info, but I can give you a general idea. First, if your not prior military then you will need to complete Army Basic Training and that is approx 11wks from start to finish (could be a week or two shorter or longer depending on how long reception takes). Then after Basic you will return to your home state to complete OCS. If you do the traditional OCS then it is approx 15 months long, if you go AOCS route then it is 8 wks. Finally, Armor Officer School is 19 wks long. So, the fastest possible would be 38 wks if you could do them back to back to back. However, that is extremely unlikely to happen and depending on your state if you're not prior service then you can expect to go through traditional OCS.

And since Armor is an Infantry slot (I believe) then there may be more training at Basic that I am not aware of. I hope that this gets you started. The best way to get the most accurate info is to talk to your local recruiter. If you have more specific questions let us know.
      My understanding is that BCT and OCS would be identical and branch immaterial. Once you commission, you would attend Armor OBC at Fort Benning, GA. I don't know the exact length but it's something you could check via the course catalog on ATTRS.

In NJ, we have RSTA units that have Armor and Infantry elements. The Armor element takes the form of a Calvary unit. The differences between CAV and IN are blurred because you have many IN officers attending the Mechanized Leader's Course at Fort Benning before going to their assignments.

However, in our RSTA unit we have 2 Armor companies and 1 Infantry company.

I've heard of CA Guard units having a mix of AR and IN officers within the same company of a RSTA unit.

Comment

Armor is not an Infantry slot. It is a separate branch.

OP, just understand that there are no Armor/Cavalry units in South Carolina, so you may have to consider NC or GA. But if your goal is specifically to be on an M1 tank, then the closest you'll find is in TN.

Comment

“OP, just understand that there are no Armor/Cavalry units in South Carolina, so you may have to consider NC or GA. But if your goal is specifically to be on an M1 tank, then the closest you'll find is in TN.”[/QUOTE]

I have been told that there was an armor unit in SC. I believe it was the 1st Battalion - 263rd Cavalry. Is this unit no longer active?

Comment

Correct. The 218th Heavy Brigade Combat Team became a Maneuver Enhancement Brigade a few years ago. The the 263rd went away.

However I was mistaken. There are actually two tank companies left. They belong to 4th bn 118th Infantry Regiment. I didn't realize that they were a combined arms battalion (two infantry companies, and two tank companies).

Comment

Working...
            X