Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to join a Long Range Surveillance Unit as a 2LT?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to join a Long Range Surveillance Unit as a 2LT?

Does the National Guard restrict LRSU leaders to NCO's and Officer's with Branch experience? If they do allow 2LT's, what would be a very general estimation of a timeline for the whole process from BCT to joining a unit, assuming traditional OCS.

I plan on going to basic this summer followed up with traditional OCS and BOLC. I know that Alabama has a relatively new LRSU and I am interested in joining that unit as an officer. Does anyone know if the Alabama National Guard allows for a person to sequentially join the guard, proceed through OCS and become comissioned, pass the required schools (Ranger, Airborne...), and join the LRSU? Or do I need to commission as an infantryman and wait till I become a 1LT or Captain before I am eligible to join the LRSU?

I understand that the Bama Guard prefers to send Infantry officers to Ranger School, as long as the budget can afford to pay for the training. I just need to know if its possible. I am a 30 year old MBA Alum from a top 15 University, a triathlete, I train in Jujitsu and Kick Boxing, and I lift weights several times a week. I believe I have the intellectual and physical skills, as well as the intense drive to better myself that would make a great surveillance officer.

I spoke with a recruiter but he has been too busy to respond to my questions. I would greatly appreciate any help you guys/ladies can provide in answering my questions.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by memphis; March 12th, 2012, 03:27 PM.

Re: Is it possible to join a Long Range Surveillance Unit as a 2LT?

You'll have to contact the unit directly about their requirements. I imagine that it would depend on demand for those PL slots in the LRSU. Obviously the higher the demand, the more selective they can be. If the demand is low, and vacancies always exist, it would be quite easy to get a slot in that particular unit.

Comment

Re: Is it possible to join a Long Range Surveillance Unit as a 2LT?

Rhadamanthus,

Thank you for the reply. That was the response I kind of expected.

I spoke with someone in the Alabama guard about two weeks ago and he has since been "trying" to get the information I requested.

I will call back next week.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X