Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Rank - Officer wanting to go active in the Army after National Guard contract is fulfilled Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank - Officer wanting to go active in the Army after National Guard contract is fulfilled

I have a question (I looked around the forum before I posted but didn't find anything helpful) in regards to joining the active Army after a contract with the Army National Guard is completed. Will a soldier keep his rank if he joins the Army after serving in the National Guard? What about officers in the Army National Guard who decide to join the Army as a full time soldier, would they be able to keep their rank? This is to assume the soldier has served one normal contract with the Army National Guard. Also, does this type of thing occur often? Is it a very difficult process? I know it is very difficult to receive a full time position in my state's Army National Guard because of the limited amount of officer slots and was wondering if it would be better to try and join the active Army once my contract is up if I decide I want to go active full time.

Re: Rank - Officer wanting to go active in the Army after National Guard contract is fulfilled

Once you have completed your service obligation to the National Guard, you are welcome to join any component that will have you. Officers maintain the same rank.

As a practical matter, you may find that the active component might want only certain ranks of certain career fields. This forum won't be the best place to find specific guidance, although you'll likely find no one on the active component side will put a great deal of effort into helping you either. If you want to resign your commission and enlist, an active component recruiter will work with you on that.

To start your self-directed scavenger hunt, visit https://www.hrc.army.mil. You may need a CAC reader to get to the pages you need.

Comment

Re: Rank - Officer wanting to go active in the Army after National Guard contract is fulfilled

Originally posted by Slater View Post
      I have a question (I looked around the forum before I posted but didn't find anything helpful) in regards to joining the active Army after a contract with the Army National Guard is completed. Will a soldier keep his rank if he joins the Army after serving in the National Guard? What about officers in the Army National Guard who decide to join the Army as a full time soldier, would they be able to keep their rank? This is to assume the soldier has served one normal contract with the Army National Guard. Also, does this type of thing occur often? Is it a very difficult process? I know it is very difficult to receive a full time position in my state's Army National Guard because of the limited amount of officer slots and was wondering if it would be better to try and join the active Army once my contract is up if I decide I want to go active full time.
      http://www.army.mil/article/68861

FORT KNOX, Ky. -- Army National Guard and Army Reserve captains and majors seeking Regular Army appointment and service on active duty can apply for the Call to Active Duty, or CAD, program.

"The CAD program is one of several measures used by the Army to ensure we have the best officers available in select critical functional areas," said Jon Finke, the chief of Officer Accessions and Appointments under the Officer Personnel Management Directorate in the Army Human Resources Command. "In the past the program had focused on branch needs but this year the program is transitioning into a skills- and experience-based program."

The CAD program this year is more restricted than in the past, but the possibility exists for active army appointments for captains and majors with knowledge, skill and experience in science, technology, engineering or mathematics. Any officer selected for this program incurs a three-year active-duty service obligation.

The basic criteria for this year's CAD program require captains be graduates of an active component Captains Career Course. Majors must have credit for completion of the active component common core phase of Intermediate Level Education. All applicants must have credit for at least four years active federal commissioned service, hold a security clearance of secret or higher, be medically qualified in accordance with standards of medical fitness, be in compliance with Army height and weight standards, have a baccalaureate degree, and be able to complete 20 years of active service by age 62.

Selections for the program will be made by the Officer Management Directorate of the Army Human Resources Command as detailed in MILPER Message 11-318.
      Some things that I found interesting in this particular MILPERs
      D. THIS PROGRAM REMAINS OPEN FOR ACTIVE DUTY ACCESSIONS FOR OFFICERS WITH KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE IN ONE OF THE FOLLOWING ACADEMIC DISCIPLINES: SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENGINEERING AND MATH.

Comment

Working...
      X