X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combat Arms officer while in Medical School

I am currently studying pre-med in college, and considering joining the SC National Guard when I graduate. I am considering joining ROTC and commissioning as soon as I graduate, or taking a year off after school and going through OCS, BCT, BOLC and other training during that time. My question is, is it possible to be a combat arms officer specifically Aviation, Armor or Infantry while in medical school? I know they are very different career paths, but that is what I like so much about the National Guard. I'm just looking for information on people who have done it before, training requirements and a possible path to completing this goal. Also, would it be possible to attending high-speed schools (airborne, air assault, sapper or pre-ranger) during the summer?

Thanks

Re: Combat Arms officer while in Medical School

There are no legal or regulatory impediments to what you have described. As a practical matter, however, I do not think you have realistically compared the time commitments of both service as a combat arms officer and medical student. I strongly recommend a conversation with your state's AMEDD recruiter, and a current ARNG doctor and medical student.

Comment

Thank you for your response sir.

I haven't talked to a recruiter yet because I go to school outside of SC, but if I were to be commissioned through ROTC and completed all the necessary training in the following year. Is there a greater time requirement other than one weekend a month and two weeks a year for combat arms? I understand all the un-told time requirements it would take being an officer and having soldiers under my command. Is combat arms in the guard almost a full time job like active duty?

Comment

From every doctor I've talked to, medical school tends to keep people occupied for a sustained period of time. The ordinary requirements of serving as a combat arms officer, while not as great as one on active component, will still prove burdensome to a medical student. I strongly recommend having this conversation with your National Guard AMEDD recruiter, because we have a special duty status code for medical students, which allows them to serve while having maximum flexibility to meet their educational requirements. I also recommend speaking with some current medical students, to gauge their time commitment and lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
          The ordinary requirements of serving as a combat arms officer, while not as great as one on active component, will still prove burdensome to a medical student.
          +1.

OP, many of our platoon leaders and commanders here have said in the past that it is difficult/near impossible to be a 1 weekend a monthly only kind of officer in the Guard.

Comment

Working...
          X