Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

In the National Guard, commissioning into a branch, do you get a chance to choose what job you want?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the National Guard, commissioning into a branch, do you get a chance to choose what job you want?

1. For instance, If I want to go to Finance branches or combat support, do I choose the branch and the National Guard chooses the job?

2. Do I get to choose the branch along with the desired job if there is an opening?

3. And as for the officers wishlist, what does that entail?

Re: In the National Guard, commissioning into a branch, do you get a chance to choose what job you w

The National Guard is all about states. Each state has an Officer Strength Manager (OSM) who is your best guide for how this shakes out in your state. You can't branch Finance, for example, unless you have a pinpoint assignment for a Finance slot (of which there are very few, and in your state likely none). You really need to work with the OSM, because this forum can offer only generalized advice.

Comment

• keydet2016
      keydet2016 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sir,is there an appropriate chain of command with which to contact a state's OSM? I am an ROTC cadet at a SMA. How early is too early to contact a state's OSM with questions about branching in aforementioned state?

Your ROTC department likely has a National Guard officer in the cadre, who can serve as a resource and guide. I recommend making contact with your state's OSM at once, because there's nothing to gain by waiting. The worst that happens is ... nothing. Think now about your priorities, and what you're willing to sacrifice. For example, you may get an offer for your first choice of branch, but at a location very far from home. You may be happier with your second choice at a closer location. Best wishes.

Comment

Working...
    X