Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I commission into the NJARNG if I complete my ROTC in Texas?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I commission into the NJARNG if I complete my ROTC in Texas?

Currently I am in the TXARNG. I am going to enroll with SMP and I want to commission into the National Guard in New Jersey. I do not want to go Active Duty because I have been accepted into law school so I will be doing that once I am done with college. Do I have to commission into the AD? Someone told me,

"Nope...You commision into the Regular Army...
    For a minimum of 4-6 years...
    You go where they tell you to go...

"Oh, You didn't read that ROTC Contract" ???

Beaware...ROTC has nothing to do with Expida.com..."

Questions to answer

1. I don't know the truth in that answer above which i stated.... But can someone tell me If i'm able to commission into the Guard, and if i am, if i can commission into the NJARNG if i'm in another state?

2. Do I HAVE to commission into the AD once i complete my rotc at school?

3. If i want to commission into the guard, what course of actions must i take? Do I get to choose when im making my commissioning contract? Or do i have to take another course to ensure my commissioning into the Guard?

Thanks guys!

Re: Can I commission into the NJARNG if I complete my ROTC in Texas?

Originally posted by isteyr View Post
    Currently I am in the TXARNG. I am going to enroll with SMP and I want to commission into the National Guard in New Jersey. I do not want to go Active Duty because I have been accepted into law school so I will be doing that once I am done with college. Do I have to commission into the AD? Someone told me,

"Nope...You commision into the Regular Army...
    For a minimum of 4-6 years...
    You go where they tell you to go...

"Oh, You didn't read that ROTC Contract" ???

Beaware...ROTC has nothing to do with Expida.com..."

Questions to answer

1. I don't know the truth in that answer above which i stated.... But can someone tell me If i'm able to commission into the Guard, and if i am, if i can commission into the NJARNG if i'm in another state?

2. Do I HAVE to commission into the AD once i complete my rotc at school?

3. If i want to commission into the guard, what course of actions must i take? Do I get to choose when im making my commissioning contract? Or do i have to take another course to ensure my commissioning into the Guard?

Thanks guys!
    That someone is very uninformed.

1. You can commission and then you can IST to NJ if you need to.
    2. No, you do not. It should be your choice.
    3. Others that have gone through ROTC would be able to answer this question better than I can.

Comment

ROTC-land is full of people who misinterpret a bit of information and blow it out of proportion. All new lieutenants from all sources in all components will attend a period of active duty training of ~5 months. National Guard officers then go back to part-time status in their home units.

About a year prior to commissioning, engage a dialog with the OSM from New Jersey, to get a pinpoint assignment. Your goal is to commission into the NJARNG on commissioning day, because that is the most elegant solution. That won't happen magically, you've got to bird-dog the OSM and your ROTC staff to make that happen.

Comment

The first two questions have been answered. Question 3: Find a unit and get a Letter of Acceptance (LOA) into an LT slot. If you don't know the unit you want to join, there should be a NG liaison in your program that will help you. You won't need to be attached to a unit until your last semester of ROTC, so don't worry about that yet. You're getting way ahead the train with all this stuff. Take a breath and listen to the people on THIS BOARD before you start thinking absurd things like LTs and CPTs not being in the same career track or all NG Officers being AGR (I WISH!!!)

Comment

Working...
        X