Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the total number of years commissioning into the National Guard?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the total number of years commissioning into the National Guard?

I know 8. But is it 4 years in the Guard then IRR? (Usually enlistments in Guard are 6x2 so im basically wondering the commissioning as a Lt.) Also, what are some non-combat jobs that would place me staying state side for the majority of my career? Only say that because I'm still finishing up school and then going to law school. A huge majority of people have said if I'm in school, they won't touch me. Is that true? Especially it is a job like Civil Affairs Officer? or Financial? or Human resources?

Has anyone been in the Guard and not deployed? (By that I mean the one Army JAG recruiter i talked to said he's never been deployed in his 14 years in areas of conflict.)

Also everything that has been deployed, what is it really like?

Re: What is the total number of years commissioning into the National Guard?

Originally posted by isteyr View Post
    I know 8. But is it 4 years in the Guard then IRR? (Usually enlistments in Guard are 6x2 so im basically wondering the commissioning as a Lt.) Also, what are some non-combat jobs that would place me staying state side for the majority of my career? Only say that because I'm still finishing up school and then going to law school. A huge majority of people have said if I'm in school, they won't touch me. Is that true? Especially it is a job like Civil Affairs Officer? or Financial? or Human resources?

Has anyone been in the Guard and not deployed? (By that I mean the one Army JAG recruiter i talked to said he's never been deployed in his 14 years in areas of conflict.)

This is your fourth thread in 4 days where you seem extremely concerned about the possibility of deployment.

Yes, there are drawdowns occurring, but mainly in the AD. There are due to be force reductions in Afghanistan over the next couple of years, but deployment is contingent on many things.

The only way to 'guarantee' that you will not deploy, is to not enlist. I am in no way discouraging you; I highly recommend you pursue a military career if you feel it is best for you and your goals, compulsion to serve, etc...

Basically if you enlist there IS the possibility you COULD deploy; if you do not enlist, there isn't.

Comment

Plenty of people have been in the guard and not deployed. Being in school does not mean a unit won't touch you - needs of the Army dude. We pulled plenty of kids out of school to go with us. You take on the risk of deploying when you sign up. If you're concerned about deploying, the Guard may not be for you right now. There's really no such thing as a "non-combat job that would place me staying state side." Warfighters require tons of logistical support to stay in the fight so there's really no branch immune from getting pulled.

Comment

I agree with Chris36, sounds like you are really concerned about deployments and when joining any branch of the armed services there is ALWAYS the possibility of a deployment. One of the first things you are taught at Basic Training is that no matter what MOS you choose, you are always a soldier first. That is why every soldier learns to maintain and effectively use a weapon.

If you look around the world today, there are numorous other places that we could be called to serve that are just as dangerous (if not more so) than Afghanistan and Iraq. I know many people who have been in the Guard for years and never deployed, and I know many who were deployed within a few months of graduating Basic. There is no way to tell if you will or not before you even sign up.

There is no such thing as a safe MOS. Sure, there are some that put you in more harms way than others, but as I stated above, everyone is a Soldier first. There is always a potential of deploying and being put in harms way, but you could not enlist, stay home and get hurt or killed in a car accident driving to work.

As far as non-combat jobs within the officer ranks, there are many, and you should talk with your recruiter on what your qualified for based on interests and ASVAB scores. Some of the possibilities are Signal Officer, Supply Officer, JAG, Transportation Officer and more. These are not Combat MOS' but that doesn't mean they are necessarily safe jobs. All depends on time and location.

So do your research and talk with your recruiter. Ultimately they will be able to answer your questions and help guide you in your decision making process.

Comment

I'm highlighting the point of deployment to get more answers. And more opinions. Obviously I can deploy, My first 2 years I will not be but after that yeah i understand that. But as for the commissioning how many years?

Comment

I'm highlighting the point of deployment to get more answers. And more opinions. Obviously I can deploy, My first 2 years I will not be but after that yeah i understand that. But as for the commissioning how many years?
            Even on those conditions; I just dont get it. I am active duty and on my third deployment. I came back from Afghanistan in 2010 and was assigned to a brigade combat team for my PCS. I get an email (while on leave) directing me that I am needed to go to another brigade combat team because they are deploying. I am gone again in less than two years based on the needs of the Army. I don't purposely duck deployments.

Get your priorities in order first before you decide to enlist.

Comment

Technically, you will spend the majority of your Guard career stateside. Majority, by definition, means more than 50%.

There are absolutely no guarantees that you will not be deployed. However, Guard deployments are far more predictable than USAR deployments. The only way to stablize yourself for longer than most other M-day soldiers is to be assigned to a non-deploying unit such as the RTI (schoolhouses).

Also, I'm not sure if you are a female or not. But there's a chance that officers branched into a logistical field may be called upon more often than an MFE officer as we wind down in Afghanistan. Civil Affairs is known to deploy quite often. I cannot speak for Finance and AG.

Comment

By no means am i trying to "duck" out of a deployment. I'm asking questions, and that does not mean I do not want to deploy. Deployment is a stressful period for all personnel and families for the most part, and I ask questions so I understand more. So the deployment aspect is an appropriate area to be discussing. And of course in the Army there is no "safe" job. You are a soldier and that's pretty much COMMON SENSE. But again, a majority (by that I would say most of the time), the Army typically wouldn't send a Paralegal into an infantry job like patrols or etc. However if transportation between bases there comes an instance where you need to fight, then there's the soldier aspect. What the likelihood? Significantly smaller than a combat job unless **** really hits the fan and we need as many people fighting as possible. But even in the world wars that rarely happened especially in areas of my expertise i will be training for. Since Afghanistan is transitioning to the Afghans I want to know how deployment odds look. Cause chances are now since the war is basically over, I will be sitting behind a desk for the number of years I am a Lt. with a thumb up my ***. Is that a correct way of seeing it?

Let's be realistic the Army has aspects of it that rarely ever experiences combat. If they do, that's what basic training is for just in case. None of you need to preach, I understand the duties, i understand deployment. I'm looking into more in-depth answers as to what i will expect in my job position in Human Resources administrative job or Civil Affairs or Finance. And deployment opportunities. As well the commissioning contract for the Guard. For example is the years 5 x3 or 4x4?

I'm sorry for any of the misunderstanding. Let me emphasize, I will follow my duties and I want to serve.

Comment

By no means am i trying to "duck" out of a deployment. I'm asking questions, and that does not mean I do not want to deploy. Deployment is a stressful period for all personnel and families for the most part, and I ask questions so I understand more. So the deployment aspect is an appropriate area to be discussing. And of course in the Army there is no "safe" job. You are a soldier and that's pretty much COMMON SENSE. But again, a majority (by that I would say most of the time), the Army typically wouldn't send a Paralegal into an infantry job like patrols or etc. However if transportation between bases there comes an instance where you need to fight, then there's the soldier aspect. What the likelihood? Significantly smaller than a combat job unless **** really hits the fan and we need as many people fighting as possible. But even in the world wars that rarely happened especially in areas of my expertise i will be training for. Since Afghanistan is transitioning to the Afghans I want to know how deployment odds look. Cause chances are now since the war is basically over, I will be sitting behind a desk for the number of years I am a Lt. with a thumb up my ***. Is that a correct way of seeing it?

Let's be realistic the Army has aspects of it that rarely ever experiences combat. If they do, that's what basic training is for just in case. None of you need to preach, I understand the duties, i understand deployment. I'm looking into more in-depth answers as to what i will expect in my job position in Human Resources administrative job or Civil Affairs or Finance. And deployment opportunities. As well the commissioning contract for the Guard. For example is the years 5 x3 or 4x4?

I'm sorry for any of the misunderstanding. Let me emphasize, I will follow my duties and I want to serve.
                  What EXACTLY are you asking?

Comment

well for one any of the sentences followed by question marks would be helpful please...

Comment

well for one any of the sentences followed by question marks would be helpful please...
                      The sarcasm is absolutely uncalled for, especially towards a commissioned officer or anyone attempting to assist you on this forum.

We are trying to clarify what part of your question we have missed answering; for 4 different threads you have asked the SAME thing and each time it has been aswered (you're lucky, usually the answer the OP will get is to not ask the same question in multiple threads).

If you you are trying to emphasize a different question, please clarify, otherwise it seems that it is you that is being redundant with your line of questioning.

The deployment question that you have asked, repeatedly, has been answered repeatedly.

What OTHER questions might you have?

Comment

You are a soldier and that's pretty much COMMON SENSE. But again, a majority (by that I would say most of the time), the Army typically wouldn't send a Paralegal into an infantry job like patrols or etc. However if transportation between bases there comes an instance where you need to fight, then there's the soldier aspect. What the likelihood? Significantly smaller than a combat job unless **** really hits the fan and we need as many people fighting as possible. But even in the world wars that rarely happened especially in areas of my expertise i will be training for. Since Afghanistan is transitioning to the Afghans I want to know how deployment odds look. Cause chances are now since the war is basically over, I will be sitting behind a desk for the number of years I am a Lt. with a thumb up my ***. Is that a correct way of seeing it?
                        Your questions seem to contradict themselves. One minute, you sound like you want to know that a support MOS will keep you far away from combat duties then the other minute you want to be this finance, JAG or civil affairs officer itching for action.

You truly sound like a civilian that does not have a clue about the military.

I am in serving in an Infantry Brigade Combat Team and more than likely as a soldier in a MOS that will support these warfighters; you will do just that. I am in charge of supply, signal and logistic soldiers and they will move throughout Afghanistan on air clips.

When I was in Iraq I conducted mounted and dismounted patrols but now I no longer do that.

So for a paralegal that will be moving by ground that will engage in combat? Depending on the unit and mission could be zero. There is fighting going on but it is not non-stop. I know people who been on FOBs in Afghanistan who never got hit by a rocket or mortar attack and others that went on patrols for a year and never engaged the enemy.

Bagram got hit by an enemy assault in mid-2010. The Special Forces and other combat types wanted everyone to remain indoors until the all clear signal. They were the only ones that engaged. I had friends that were there (I just left the month before) and they just wanted in hard-site barracks or buildings for hours until they were told it was ok to start moving again.

You cant be realistic until you have actually served and deployed so you can get a sense of what I am writing about. Your concern at this point is your enlistment or commissioning options.

I'm sorry for any of the misunderstanding. Let me emphasize, I will follow my duties and I want to serve.[/QUOTE]

Comment

You are a soldier and that's pretty much COMMON SENSE. But again, a majority (by that I would say most of the time), the Army typically wouldn't send a Paralegal into an infantry job like patrols or etc. However if transportation between bases there comes an instance where you need to fight, then there's the soldier aspect. What the likelihood? Significantly smaller than a combat job unless **** really hits the fan and we need as many people fighting as possible. But even in the world wars that rarely happened especially in areas of my expertise i will be training for. Since Afghanistan is transitioning to the Afghans I want to know how deployment odds look. Cause chances are now since the war is basically over, I will be sitting behind a desk for the number of years I am a Lt. with a thumb up my ***. Is that a correct way of seeing it?
                          Your questions seem to contradict themselves. One minute, you sound like you want to know that a support MOS will keep you far away from combat duties then the other minute you want to be this finance, JAG or civil affairs officer itching for action.

You truly sound like a civilian that does not have a clue about the military.

I am in serving in an Infantry Brigade Combat Team and more than likely as a soldier in a MOS that will support these warfighters; you will do just that. I am in charge of supply, signal and logistic soldiers and they will move throughout Afghanistan on air clips.

When I was in Iraq I conducted mounted and dismounted patrols but now I no longer do that.

So for a paralegal that will be moving by ground that will engage in combat? Depending on the unit and mission could be zero. There is fighting going on but it is not non-stop. I know people who been on FOBs in Afghanistan who never got hit by a rocket or mortar attack and others that went on patrols for a year and never engaged the enemy.

Bagram got hit by an enemy assault in mid-2010. The Special Forces and other combat types wanted everyone to remain indoors until the all clear signal. They were the only ones that engaged. I had friends that were there (I just left the month before) and they just wanted in hard-site barracks or buildings for hours until they were told it was ok to start moving again.

You cant be realistic until you have actually served and deployed so you can get a sense of what I am writing about. Your concern at this point is your enlistment or commissioning options.

Comment

Slick thank you so much. In terms of experience of deployment that was a great answer to what I was looking for. And with your last post with the "2 years no deployment" and you said to get my priorities right, my priorities is ROTC which is why i'm non-deployable. Also Slick here a question directed towards you, I don't see myself deployable until atleast for another 3 years, and by that what is your opinion in terms of US military involvement and Guard involvement in the middle east in 2015 or 16?

The last post I wrote had no sarcasm present in it so I am sorry if it is taken like that. And I for one am being redundant because I was hoping to get more opinions from others with experience in my particular field. Yet most answers state that I will deploy which I knew from the beginning. Some jobs deploy more than others and I wanted someone with experience of having work in Finance or Adjutant General or Military Intelligence (that might be a new one i could look into) as a Officer to give me some information that would benefit me. Most answers I receive are ones of "Oh if you don't want to deploy and are worried do not join." or answers that don't give me clear evidence of what exactly the job title entails. And the reason I had made other posts is to increase the likelihood of getting a variety of answers from personnel in the fields I highlighted. Not get the same answer from the same people in each thread post and getting unnecessary comments when I could be discussing something actually important that answers my questions that again reflects back to the last post that was supposedly "sarcastic".

My apology to any individuals I may have insulted with my remarks. If i have, that of course is not my intention. You should know that. It is a clear miscommunication on my part for you being clear enough and provide more reasoning toward my questions.

Along with OTHER questions i have, none of you answered these.....

1.) Education is important to the military, and from others in the service and non-service, they said typically they do not touch you for deployment if you are in school. So what are your opinions on that?

2.) What type of experience would you see as an Adjutant General or Finance Officer in the Guard?

3.) Finally, when commissioning into the Guard, what is the common terms of the contract when looking at the length of service? I know it's 8 years of course, but do i commission in my job for 4 years then the remainder in IRR? Please someone explain the terms to me.

Thank you for all your great help. I appreciate the time you are taking to answer my questions.

Comment

No problem. But all my deployments have been while serving on active duty. When I left the Guard, my former unit then deployed to Kuwait in a force protection mission even though it was a Personnel Services Detachment. That was 2004.

The Guard, Reserves and Active Army make up the total Army so I try to sway away from Guard involvement because as long as the US is involved in hostilities across the pond; the Guard will be involved.

My current deployment is only for 9 months and I am supposed to have 24 months of dwell time that I will not deploy. Anything can happen but again; Afghanistan is supposed to end in December 2014 will a non-combat role starting next year. I do not get involved in what-ifs because I been involved in many changes so I just roll with the punches.

There are some states and units that have only deployed once since GWOT started. That is why I said do not get wrapped on when and where you might deploy. Just understand as a soldier period that is not flagged to not deploy; you can deploy at a moments notice.

1) About your question one; someone can answer that question. But in my case, I been taking master courses for years and deployed. I am currently still working on them while I head to theater. So it depends on your contract if you have that option that you are taking classes and will not deploy based on that.

2) I do not know. But the ones that I know and see that work in garrison and deploy gain a wealth of experience and then move on to other positions. But again, I am talking active duty.

3) A Guard officer or officer strength manager can answer that question.

Comment

Working...
                              X