X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is ROTC right for me?

Hey guys, I've been looking online and could not find the question that's on my mind. I'm currently an E2 heading out to BCT & AIT. When I come back I'll be heading back to school. When I start the new semester I would like to contract with ROTC. But my question is, will I have to be commissioned after graduating or will I be able to just go through ROTC and stay as enlisted NG?

Thanks for your help?

Re: Is ROTC right for me?

Originally posted by jroberto21 View Post
    Hey guys, I've been looking online and could not find the question that's on my mind. I'm currently an E2 heading out to BCT & AIT. When I come back I'll be heading back to school. When I start the new semester I would like to contract with ROTC. But my question is, will I have to be commissioned after graduating or will I be able to just go through ROTC and stay as enlisted NG?

Thanks for your help?
    You may need to re-evaluate why you want to even pursue ROTC in this case if you wanted to stay enlisted.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
      You may need to re-evaluate why you want to even pursue ROTC in this case if you wanted to stay enlisted.
      Seriously. Why would you go through officer training without the intent of becoming an officer? I could imagine LDAC being a lot less warm and fuzzy if the "you're commissioning in a year" fairy wasn't around to cheer you up.

That said, you COULD enroll in military science courses at your school without actually being in the program, but you could only do 101, 102, 201, and 202. Once you hit the 301 level, you have to contract to take the classes. But you'll find pretty quickly that the 101 - 202 classes just stretch out and cover what you learned at IET, and it's really boring and you'll find it pointless. There's a reason that they allow prior service Cadets to skip those classes.

And to answer the question, yes. You will commission if you contract. That is, if you're successful. If you don't want to be an officer, don't sign up for the Reserve Officer Training Corps.
      Last edited by Lance13A; February 28th, 2012, 12:26 PM.

Comment

The reason why I'm asking is I'm considering it because of some financial problems my family is having, and the pay could help, but I don't feel ready though.

Comment

For financial difficulties there are many options available to those serving in the Guard. Talk with your unit Readiness NCO, they may be able to help you out. If your only looking at ROTC for the money, I'm not sure that is right option. The ultimate goal of ROTC is to earn a commission

Comment

Working...
          X