X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Branching Preference

Quick question in regards to branching preferences as an Officer Candidate, soon to be a 2LT.

When you submit your wishlist, and once you're up on the OML, do you personally get to choose your slot?

Take this for example:

Say my first choice is the Infantry. My spot in OML comes up, multiple infantry spots are available throughout the state. At that point, do I get to choose, or have any say in, which unit I become assigned to?

I understand this may be different from state to state, but maybe someone has experienced something of this nature?

Any opinions/help would be great!

Thanks again for all the help this forum provides!

Re: Branching Preference

Originally posted by anxi12 View Post
    Quick question in regards to branching preferences as an Officer Candidate, soon to be a 2LT.

When you submit your wishlist, and once you're up on the OML, do you personally get to choose your slot?

Take this for example:

Say my first choice is the Infantry. My spot in OML comes up, multiple infantry spots are available throughout the state. At that point, do I get to choose, or have any say in, which unit I become assigned to?

I understand this may be different from state to state, but maybe someone has experienced something of this nature?

I would say the best bet is to give your State OSM a call and tell him/her you preference. That may help although everything is still "the needs of the Army".

Word of advice: if a particular IN company is very understrength in LTs, it would be in your interest to find out why.

Comment

I'd take advice about talking to your OSM with a grain of salt. Just becuase they are the OSM, they may not know what's best for your career. For instance, when I commissioned, my OSM was a CW2 or Florida had a LT as the OSM. Probably not the ones you want career guidance from. I've also noticed over the years, there often seems to be a breakdown between TPU Soldiers and AGR/MilTech's. My advice is to find a post-command TPU CPT or above and ask them for advice.

How your state branches questions really need to be directed towards your TAC's or ask your senior class. While you'll always have input into your career, it's really going to depend on the needs of the NG.

Comment

Originally posted by RedLeg View Post
        I'd take advice about talking to your OSM with a grain of salt. Just becuase they are the OSM, they may not know what's best for your career. For instance, when I commissioned, my OSM was a CW2 or Florida had a LT as the OSM. Probably not the ones you want career guidance from. I've also noticed over the years, there often seems to be a breakdown between TPU Soldiers and AGR/MilTech's. My advice is to find a post-command TPU CPT or above and ask them for advice.

How your state branches questions really need to be directed towards your TAC's or ask your senior class. While you'll always have input into your career, it's really going to depend on the needs of the NG.
        That wasn't the original poster's question.

Originally posted by anxi12 View Post

Take this for example:

He's simply asking:
        1. How many IN PL slots are available in the state?
        2. Where these slots may be?
        3. How the process by which he is assigned to a particular slot of all availabe IN slots works?

The State OSM is more likely to be able to answer these questions with certainty than his TACs or the senior class. He's not asking what branch is better; he's simply asking the three questions above which is based on vacancies across the state.

Comment

Working...
        X