X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROTC Summer Schools slot

What are the specific criteria for getting a slot thru ROTC to go to Airborne and/or Air Assault? Obviously high APFT score is one but is there anything else? I've been trying to get in contact with the cadre who handles those schools but haven't had any luck. Also, does anyone recommend I go to pre-Air Assault? If I do, I will be missing school which is fine due to the fact that any preparation will help considering the difficulty of the school itself, but if I don't need to I won't elect to.

Re: ROTC Summer Schools slot

Are you in ROTC? If you are then you should ask your ROTC leadership about school offerings. Pre AAS? LOL! You won't need it. Just make sure you can ruck 12 miles with 40lbs within 3 hours, can climb a rope and run 2 miles in ACU's within 16 min and you will be fine. The hardest part about that course is the sling load phase because you really have to pay attention to detail. For that all you need to do is take advantage of the study time and practice. I thought it was a little overrated personally. Hardest 10 days in the Army my ***.

That being said it was still a worth while school because of the sling loading and it was fun most of the time. Pathfinder would be a better choice if it were given.
    Last edited by Explosive Hazard; January 22nd, 2012, 07:49 PM.

Comment

SGT is that the one they did the Surviving the Cut on?

Comment

Originally posted by scjohnny View Post
        SGT is that the one they did the Surviving the Cut on?
        Not that I'm aware of. The hooah Army schools they have covered to the best of my knowledge is Ranger, Sapper, Sniper, and Special Forces Diver.

Comment

Sapper.
          That's the one I was thinking. Where they were on the ledge of a cliff with another Joe
          on their back.

NOT FOR ME!

Comment

That actually reminds me, LoneStar, ROTC has a few Sapper slots per year along with Special Forces Diver and Mountain Warfare School. Sapper would be a great opportunity for small unit leadership training. Mountain Warfare offers great training that you can take back to your gaining unit. Not many people are very experienced with mountain operations and it can really come in handy having people with that kind of knowledge in the mountains of Afghanistan/Pakistan/Iran. Something to think about. Everyone wants to jump on the airborne bus but that school offers little value in the long run unless you are in an airborne unit, because you can't take that skill and pass it on. SF Diver is considered by many as the hardest school the Army has to offer. One **** of an accomplishment and awesome training the way I see it. You see airborne wings a plenty but how many scuba bubbles have you seen? I can count all the ones I've ever seen on one hand. There are only a handfull of slots allocated to all of ROTC in the US per year for all the above mentioned 3 but if you can manage to land even one of those you would be very fortunate.

Also, if you are planning on commisioning active duty then Airborne slots and AAS slots are somewhat easy to get. Especially if you branch combat arms, then a lot of times Airborne is given out like candy. All the above 3 though, probably never get the opportunity ever again. Food for thought.

Comment

Thanks. If one of those higher echelon schools becomes available I will definitely jump on it, however my school doesn't have a lot of funding or recruitment numbers to facilitate or justify awarding one of thsoe slots to us (I'm not sure how the schools awarded the training slots is determined) so I'm fairly certain that I won't see one of those schools, at least not in Cadet-Land. I also don't want to be perceived as a badge-hunter. If I'm not assigned to an Airborne unit, etc. and I don't have a use for one of the schools I don't see a point in going. Just my two cents, I could be wrong.

Comment

One of the most under rated school offered is Moutain Warefare up in Jericho, VT. It is some of the most applicable and userful training, given our current climate of operations...

Comment

LOL @ being called a badge hunter for going to AAS/ABN. Really man? If the opportunity comes up, and it's of interest to you, go. Once you get out of ROTC, training opportunities like are a lot harder to get, ESPECIALLY if you're not in a unit that requires the skill.

The fact that you may never go to an ABN/AAS unit should strengthen your resolve to go, not deter you. I went to Airborne as a cadet knowing full well I'd probably never jump again - I had a great time and cherish the experience I had. Now that I'm in the Guard there's no chance in **** I'd get to go, so you can bet your *** I'm glad I went when I had a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by collk22 View Post
                    LOL @ being called a badge hunter for going to AAS/ABN. Really man? If the opportunity comes up, and it's of interest to you, go. Once you get out of ROTC, training opportunities like are a lot harder to get, ESPECIALLY if you're not in a unit that requires the skill.

The fact that you may never go to an ABN/AAS unit should strengthen your resolve to go, not deter you. I went to Airborne as a cadet knowing full well I'd probably never jump again - I had a great time and cherish the experience I had. Now that I'm in the Guard there's no chance in **** I'd get to go, so you can bet your *** I'm glad I went when I had a chance.
                    You have a better chance of going to Airborne or AAS in active duty and national guard then you do Sapper Leader Course, Mountain Warefare or Special Forces Diver. The latter three being 1, more rare and 2, offer better and more unique training then the former two. Think big picture. For retention incentives some states will offer Airborne or AAS to keep you in or award a slot for high PT, so there is a real possibility of getting to go later in your career. That will never happen with Sapper, Mountain or Diver. Those opportunities will almost assuredly never come up again, unless you transition to the unconventional later in your career. Also, for the skill learned in AAS, and that being the sling loads, SLICC and Pathfinder provide equal or better training then AAS. So you have two other options for that particular training. Sapper, Mountain and Diver, unique.

Comment

Jugg, I think you and I are mostly saying the same thing...

Antecdotal, I know, but the AAS/ABN incentive slots seem to be pretty rare these days...I still think cadet command offers the best opportunity to go for an ROTC cadet headed to the Guard.

Comment

I plan on commissioning, or attempting to commission, into Active Duty and more specifically Military Intelligence, Aviation, or Military Police. I'm still deciing between MI and Aviation since to get those you'd have to put them as #1 on your branch choices, but I think that in either case both ABN and AAS would be useful. I have an even beter opporunity for AAS because it is held in my hometown at Ft. Bliss which eliminates travel, but I'd have to do Pre-Air Assault + AAS itself and I'm not privvy to missing that much school.

Comment

Working...
                        X