X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is OCS a possibility for me?

I am interested in joining the California Army National Guard and going to OCS. I just turned 40 in November, recently received my AA degree and have 4 years prior USMC service. I can graduate with a BA in about 18 months. Is OCS an option for me or am I too late? I am not confident in the information I am getting from my recruiter because he does not seem to be informed and always has to ask other staff about my “what if” questions. I am mainly interested in going to the once a month training but will consider the accelerated program if that is my only option. Is there any possibility of a waiver of any kind for me if I am qualified and only obstacle is the time crunch?

If OCS is an option how should I best approach this and what will be my biggest obstacles?

If OCS is not an option, does anyone have a suggestion for a military path with the highest potential for someone like me?

Re: Is OCS a possibility for me?

You exceed the maximum age for commissioning, although you may still have eligibility to enlist. Several factors impact that determination, so visit a recruiter today. www.nationalguard.com/car

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
      You exceed the maximum age for commissioning, although you may still have eligibility to enlist. Several factors impact that determination, so visit a recruiter today. www.nationalguard.com/car
      He's only 40. Doesn't he have time to go the accelerated route and commission before 42?
      Last edited by VICEROY06; February 1st, 2012, 03:09 PM.

Comment

While Federal law allows someone to be commissioned up to the age of 42, it does allow service components to lower the age limit.

Comment

Isn't his age right now for commissioning purposes 36? He has 4 years of prior service.

Comment

Originally posted by rat4spd View Post
            Isn't his age right now for commissioning purposes 36? He has 4 years of prior service.
            No. You're confusing maximum age for re-enlistment and maximum age for initial appointment as a commissioned officer.

Comment

My understanding is that he would have to be comissioned prior to his 42nd birthday.

I was a NPS O9S at age 39 back before they raised the commisioning age to 42 (it was 40 years old back then).

Depending on how many credits he has with his associates, why couldn't he atttend summer accelerated OCS & be done with it? As a prior service Marine he could forego basic, saving time.

Why not just ask the recruiter for his state's OSM contact info and go straight to the folks with the answers?

'Course if he does not have 90 credits he's not going to OCS at all. What's the Marine equivalent of AARTS?

Comment

Originally posted by 91YJ View Post
                What's the Marine equivalent of AARTS?
                It is SMART.

Here is the link

https://smart.navy.mil/smart/welcome.do

Comment

Originally posted by 91YJ View Post
                  My understanding is that he would have to be comissioned prior to his 42nd birthday.

I was a NPS O9S at age 39 back before they raised the commisioning age to 42 (it was 40 years old back then).

Depending on how many credits he has with his associates, why couldn't he atttend summer accelerated OCS & be done with it? As a prior service Marine he could forego basic, saving time.

Why not just ask the recruiter for his state's OSM contact info and go straight to the folks with the answers?

'Course if he does not have 90 credits he's not going to OCS at all. What's the Marine equivalent of AARTS?
                  LTC is correct.

The 09S reg reads as follow

"1) Be at least 18 and not have reached your 35th birthday prior to enlistment. Be able to complete the Accelerated OCS course and commissioning requirements prior to reaching age 42."

So this means He needs to be "age" 35 at time of enlistment. So all PS years (not irr) - current age. So 40-4 = 36 = Disquallified.

Comment

Working...
                  X