X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nurse Corps, Active Duty to Guard or Reserves

Just starting to look for some info, but here's the situation. I'm active duty, Nurse Corps, active obligation expiring in a year and a couple of months. Due to life circumstances, I need more flexibility about where I live (husband will be going to med school, don't know exactly where, I'd like to NOT be a bazillion miles away, just came back from 9 months in the remote corners of Afghanistan, haha). I don't want to cut all ties with the service, so I'm considering NG and Reserves. Any advice? I am an experienced 66HM5 (ER nurse), will likely be living in Georgia, possibly the Savannah area. I know if I start working with my local NG or Reserves people in the next year I can transition without a break in service. I'm kinda (okay, very) clueless when it comes to the pros/cons of NG vs. Reserves, and what I'd actually do for my drill weekends. Any insight welcome. Thanks!

If you're not going to school, the USAR would probably be the best option since they have the majority of the medical units. Also, they now offer money to cover travel expenses to attend drill.

Comment

Ma'am, I am active duty and when you start your ACAP, you will be able to discuss about your transition options with the transition rep.

Comment

Army National Guard medical capabilities focus on tactical care, and physicals/MEB. Your drill weekends could consist of instructing combat lifesaver courses, providing additional instruction to combat medics, or running the medical portion of an SRP.

Please speak with the National Guard AMEDD recruiter for your future state of residence.

Comment

Amazing how someone could join a forum; post one question and add a photo but yet disappear lol

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
            Amazing how someone could join a forum; post one question and add a photo but yet disappear lol
            Sorry, I didn't have a chance to log back in until today. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
              Army National Guard medical capabilities focus on tactical care, and physicals/MEB. Your drill weekends could consist of instructing combat lifesaver courses, providing additional instruction to combat medics, or running the medical portion of an SRP.
              Thanks, this is the kind of information I was looking for. Sounds like it would be right up my alley, as I'm also a paramedic. Many things to consider.

Comment

Working...
              X