X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residency

Current PA student here. I would like to complete an emergency medicine residency after graduation. How would the Guard view this? Would it be possible to build a contract stating that I would NOT deploy until after I finished residency? I have no problem with deployment, I just wouldn't want to lost my residency spot in the process. I am aware of the Baylor EMPA residency, but as it only selects 2 candidates every cycle, it seems as if the odds are with applying to several civilian programs. Thank you for any and all info.

If you are in the pipeline to become an Army doc, your contract states that you will not deploy during residency. It is not in the Army's interests. Please contact your State's AMEDD recruiter (your local enlisted recruiter can put you in touch).

Comment

Thanks- my question was in regard to physician assistant though - residencies are optional but quickly becoming the norm. any info for PAs?

Comment

I'm a doc, not a PA, but from my understanding, PA residencies are considered "needs of the Army." You can technically be pulled out of residency for deployment, but if you have prior approval of your command to do the residency, you are lower priority for deployment. Not to say it couldn't happen, but less likely.

Comment

Working...
        X