X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life after ROTC when trying to apply to med school

Hello! I am a current MSIII on a GRFD/SMP contract. I decided at the end of the semester last year that I wanted to pursue a degree in medicine. Since I decided late, it is going to be difficult for me to fulfill all of the pre reqs for medical school in the two years that I have left and the cadre seem absolute in not allowing a migration in my contract for a year. Can anybody tell me what my options are for now or after graduation? Can I do medical services still? Has anybody been in my position before? I'd really like to just commission and apply to medical school as soon as possible. Any help would be great.

Re: Life after ROTC when trying to apply to med school

Graduate as planned, and complete medical school requirements after BOLC in your basic branch (don't worry about what that branch is). Look into using federal and state TA to fund those classes. Once accepted to medical school, you can switch to medical service corps, and continue to serve after graduation as a doctor in the National Guard.

I have summarized greatly, you should talk with your State's AMEDD recruiter to fill in the details and talk about your future.

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
      Graduate as planned, and complete medical school requirements after BOLC in your basic branch (don't worry about what that branch is). Look into using federal and state TA to fund those classes. Once accepted to medical school, you can switch to medical service corps, and continue to serve after graduation as a doctor in the National Guard.

I have summarized greatly, you should talk with your State's AMEDD recruiter to fill in the details and talk about your future.

Thank You LTC Ritchie. Would you or anybody have any suggestions as to what Branch to go into? How easy is the transition to Med School from your original Branch? Has anybody gone through what I am right now? Changed their course half through college and only told to suck it up until you graduate/then make the move to med school?

Comment

Well, the problem is.. you have already committed to a degree plan and graduation path. You risk losing the whole she-bang if you change course now. The Army gave your the scholarship for the program you originally chose.

If med school is your overall goal, you can look at changing your undergrad as long as it doesn't add time to your program. If it does, you *have* to get ROTC approval and they *do not* have to approve. So, if the latter is your... choose Med Corps as a admin. Least you'll be in the med field and then follow LTC R's advice.

Comment

Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
          Well, the problem is.. you have already committed to a degree plan and graduation path. You risk losing the whole she-bang if you change course now. The Army gave your the scholarship for the program you originally chose.

If med school is your overall goal, you can look at changing your undergrad as long as it doesn't add time to your program. If it does, you *have* to get ROTC approval and they *do not* have to approve. So, if the latter is your... choose Med Corps as a admin. Least you'll be in the med field and then follow LTC R's advice.
          What do you mean by *Have* and *Do not*?

Comment

Meaning, read you contract. When you signed it for the ROTC, you committed to a time/date for graduation. You can not leave school early or extend. There is some wiggle room on your degree plan if the timing to graduate is the same.

Now, let's say you really want to change majors. And this is going to add, say, another semester. You *have* to get ROTC approval because this throws off your commission timeline by another 6 months, possibly evening changing you commission cohort. In return, they do not *have* to approve it. You already signed up for XX amount of years to finish school and commission... ie - you scholarship contract.

Why do you think they harp on GPA so much and make you review your CC104R so often? You've already signed the dotted line and committed. Now, your MSI/II year, you have some time to change things around a bit. But you are in your MSIII year, which is your make/break year. They are going to resist changing anything around that could hurt your grad date and LDAC performance.
            Last edited by TxIntel 1978; September 26th, 2013, 02:27 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

Working...
            X