X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NG effects on civilian job promotion?

Does anyone fear that being in the NG will negatively effect their chances for promotion in their civilian job? I understand that your employer is required to hold your position while you are deployed, but I worry about being passed up on potential promotions because of this as well. Who wants a COO/CEO that might need to be deployed for up to nine months? Unless your organization has a predetermined rank for promotions, it will be hard for someone to prove discrimination, and of course no hospital HR will ever admit it. Maybe I am overthinking things, but does anyone else share this fear? Thanks.

Re: NG effects on civilian job promotion?

Originally posted by mrobert6 View Post
    Does anyone fear that being in the NG will negatively effect their chances for promotion in their civilian job? I understand that your employer is required to hold your position while you are deployed, but I worry about being passed up on potential promotions because of this as well. Who wants a COO/CEO that might need to be deployed for up to nine months? Unless your organization has a predetermined rank for promotions, it will be hard for someone to prove discrimination, and of course no hospital HR will ever admit it. Maybe I am overthinking things, but does anyone else share this fear? Thanks.
    There are always those situations that could appear discriminatory but the "official" reason is something else. In my opinion, for evey employee that got a shady deal because of his reserve service there are 2 out there who got ahead of the game because of their reserve service.

Comment

Before I got hired at my current job, I was very upfront with my employer about my Guard obligations. My boss (who is a retired O-6 / BDE commander in the USAR) was very supportive, and I think it actually helped me stand out and get hired (and subsequently survive the layoffs from this &#!^!*% sequester). As long as I have orders, I can go to any school my unit can get me into. The nature of my work allows for this, though, and I'm not screwing over anyone when I'm out.

I've missed over 4 weeks of work for AT/other training this year, and just told my boss I expect to be out over 7 weeks next year, and I just got promoted. I've found that Guard service and the skills I take away from it supplement my civilian career well.

However, YMMV in the medical field. Try to engage other 70-series O's in your state and see how they balance their work/NG commitments. I'd try to sell to your boss that the training/managerial skills you gain from the NG, that you can bring back to your hospital, will more than make up for your occasional absence.

Comment

Depends on what you do. For doctors, you are basically limited to working for large practices for your career. You can't reasonably work for a 3 doc practice and expect others to cover for you for that length of time and you'd go broke hiring locum tenens. You will face prejudice in terms of employers not wanting to hire you because you are in the Guard, but you will also find it helps out with some places. Remember that a lot of the docs in positions of power right now are the ones who were pulled into the Army part-and-parcel because of Vietnam.

I wouldn't sweat the chances for possible career advancement at the low to mid levels of power in the medical field. I would sweat it if I wanted to join a small practice somewhere. How it relates to when you reach the CEO level is way over my paygrade, but I reckon by the time you hit that level with that much time in, you can probably find a fairly cush slot where you will have more command over your schedule.

Comment

Working...
        X