X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RN Registered Nurse Age Limit

I am 43 years old (male) and interested in joining the guard or reserves. They tell (AMEDD) me 48 is the limit with a waver and 46 is also very possible with an easy "check the box" waiver no questions asked. I am 20 hours away from my BSN and am already an RN with an ADN and another bachelors degree. I will be 44 at the the time I get the BSN. No criminal history etc. Is it realistic to join up at my age? Things change so often it is hard to tell what the regs are and the army web sites and other info is usually out of date. any older guys join at this stage of life? All constructive input is welcome.

thank you,
    V/R
    Older RN

Re: RN Registered Nurse Age Limit

Originally posted by LB5522 View Post
    Is it realistic to join up at my age? Things change so often it is hard to tell what the regs are and the army web sites and other info is usually out of date. any older guys join at this stage of life? All constructive input is welcome.
    Yes, it's realistic. You are right about the "things change" part. With downsizing and state budgets, waivers of any kind are going to be harder to come by (that said, AMEDD is usually just about the last to get their waivers taken away). Another issue is that RNs are way over strength in many states, so available slots are a challenge (except for FNPs). I know nothing about the Reserve side on this.

I'm a doc but joined in my 30's. It's definitely do-able. It might be different in other specialties, but if you're medical, your CO and your soldiers are much more interested in your clinical abilities than your ability to max out on APFT or shoot expert. Be willing to go the extra mile for your soldiers, take an interest in their overall wellbeing, and take the time to do your job well and you'll be appreciated and respected.

Comment

So he would be allowed to retire at 63???

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
        So he would be allowed to retire at 63???
        There was a doc that joined at age 64yo in 2008 and served two years before being forced to resign at age 66yo. You can get age waivers in AMEDD, depending on what you do and how bad they need you. More likely for an FNP than RN.

Comment

I had a 60 year old Nurse in OBLC. There were a lot of "older" people in OBLC. They knew they'd only be able to do a few years, but they did it anyway.

Comment

Hello, I am a 41 yr old RN with an Associate Degree in nursing. I am enrolled in a BSN program and I will graduate in 1 year when I am 42. I am also part of the TX Military Forces with the Texas State Guard I received a 1LT commission from Governor Perry to serve TX. My unit is not National Guard it is State Guard. I would like to join the TX Army National Guard when I graduate next year. I was wondering if there is still a chance for me to join. Would I be able to join now with a promise to graduate with a BSN in 1 year?

Comment

Working...
            X