Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Lesson learned...Don't wait to go after what you want in life. Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lesson learned...Don't wait to go after what you want in life.

Its a shame...to finally reach that point in life, which your dreams don't require approval by "majority vote," only to find out you waited too long. You're "too old".

I'm 44, single, and my children are grown and no longer living at home.

I have a Masters Degrees in Nursing; a board certified Nurse Practitioner in both Adult and Gerontological health.

I'm also a 2nd degree Black Belt, still actively training and competing. I qualified to be a member of Team USA in 2012, and competed in the ITF World Championships in Canada, winning a Silver medal in my bracket.

Although I've always given 100% to the commitments I've made; my decision to commit to something was heavily influenced by those in my life who would be most affected.

I can proudly and honestly say...I fulfilled my family "duties". No longer will my dreams be hindered by external influence...setting goals will no longer be placed on the "back burner". What I achieve, will be totally up to me...(but limited by age restrictions.)

So I offer some words of advice...Do what you love and love what you do. Don't procrastinate. Compromise is essential...but don't ever chip away pieces of who you are, to make a relationship "fit". Associate with those who respect your dreams, encourage your goals and complement who you are and where you want to be in the future.

Though Im too old for the National Guard, watch for me in 2014 as I aspire to qualify for Team USA and compete in the next World Championships in Rome, Italy.

Re: Lesson learned...Don't wait to go after what you want in life.

Nice to be schooled in the art of "critical thinking skills"....you go grandma! Did u call an AMEDD recruiter about DC? Perhaps your years in your profession may advance you to CPT/MAJ ?

Comment

I thought that too, but wondered how receptive they would be to an age waiver for direct commission. You'd think these cases would be the most flexible.

Comment

Originally posted by 7011USMC View Post
        Nice to be schooled in the art of "critical thinking skills"....you go grandma! Did u call an AMEDD recruiter about DC? Perhaps your years in your profession may advance you to CPT/MAJ ?
        Ok..Seriously? You did not just call me grandma! Lol...Im (half) kidding. I have not talked to a recruiter about DC. Seems asking to overlook age requirement by a few months, with my background is one thing..by a few years, seems a little too much to ask. If only they didnt need that whole birth certificate and photo ID proof..I look half my age...Im more physically fit than most...Im trained in emergency preparedness, rapid response, and biochemical warfare. Most important, Im able, willing and dedicated. But the age limit restriction, is set for a reason, as with all companies...it has nothing to do with performance... everything to do with pension. I appreciate your support...even tho you called me a grandma (lol). Be safe & God Bless!

Comment

You may not be too old, especially since your profession is critically needed in the US Army. Talk to an AMEDD recruiter and request an age waiver. I was just told of a clinical psychologist who received a commission at age 58. I am 48, former active duty Army Nurse (1989-1994) and now an Emergency Medicine Physician Assistant. My recruiter seems quite optimistic that I can get into the Guard with an age waiver. If you aspire to serve your Nation as an Army Nurse, pursue it to the fullest and you might be surprised where you end up if you have the right recruiter working for you. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X