X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critical Skill Shortage list

I'm applying for a 66P position with ARNG (packet being considered on 7/31). I just got a document about incentives from my recruiter, and it included a list of Critical Skill Shortages. 66P is listed as a shortage for ARNG only, but not ANG, NR, AFR, or AR. Other professions seemed to be shortages on one or two branches, but not all of them. Does this list change very often? Just curious if my profession could be a shortage in a different branch in the future.

Also, a doctorate degree is becoming the standard for nurse practitioners, and will probably be required for licensure in the next few years. However, STRAP and other educational funding seems to only go through a masters degree for us. Is this likely to change? I would consider getting a doctorate if there was educational funding available, but I really can't afford more student loans.

Thanks for all your input!

Re: Critical Skill Shortage list

Originally posted by mcnacht View Post
    I'm applying for a 66P position with ARNG (packet being considered on 7/31). I just got a document about incentives from my recruiter, and it included a list of Critical Skill Shortages. 66P is listed as a shortage for ARNG only, but not ANG, NR, AFR, or AR. Other professions seemed to be shortages on one or two branches, but not all of them. Does this list change very often? Just curious if my profession could be a shortage in a different branch in the future.
    The list does change, and has changed a fair bit with the tempo of the war. No one is really sure how much shorter that list will get with drawdown and budget cuts. FNPs are only relatively recently being utilized as such in the Army as providers. Whether they are only on the list is a sign of things to come or a sign that this may drop from the list with time is anyone's guess.
    Originally posted by mcnacht View Post
    Also, a doctorate degree is becoming the standard for nurse practitioners, and will probably be required for licensure in the next few years.
    I wouldn't hold my breath for a doctorate of nursing being considered standard for licensure anytime soon (its a silly idea and doesn't expand an NPs scope or practice significantly) and probably long after your initial obligation is over. And I definitely would not expect the Army to be pushing for that.

Comment

Working...
    X