Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What am I getting into?

Hi everyone,
    I am in process of getting everything ready to join National Guard. I am a RN with no prior military service. My recruiter is a little flaky, so I am confused about some information. Do I go straight to OCS? How long is OCS? I'm not in the tip top shape and my recruiter is not really telling me what’s expected of me physically at OCS as well. HELP.

Re: What am I getting into?

Are you doing a direct commission?

Comment

You may not be going to OCS. Are you an AMEDD recruit? i.e., Are you going into the National Guard to be a Nurse?

Comment

Originally posted by Lance13A View Post
        You may not be going to OCS. Are you an AMEDD recruit? i.e., Are you going into the National Guard to be a Nurse?
        To add on to what the Lieutenant said, they hold special Meidcal Service boards for anyone attempting to branch into Medical. That's a completely separate process outside of the OCS realm, and most of those are direct commissions. If you're going straight for medical and can get it without OCS...by all means do it!

Comment

Yes I am joining as a nurse for national guard part time. I filled out the AMEDD aplication so I am assuming I am. I not sure if it's direct commission or not, how would I know?

Comment

Originally posted by jayr View Post
            Yes I am joining as a nurse for national guard part time. I filled out the AMEDD aplication so I am assuming I am. I not sure if it's direct commission or not, how would I know?
            If it's AMEDD, it should be a direct commission. Talk to your recruiter and ask for more details. Be aware that, even though you won't have to attend OCS, you will still PT at training, and be expected to pass a PT test. You may want to start running today.

Comment

ok thanks

Comment

Even as a direct accession, s/he will be expected to attend BOLC, albeit the 27 day flavor.

Comment

Working...
                X