X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rank Determination

I am currently a civilian Physician Assistant and am in the process of finishing my application to the ANG. I have no prior military experience, but was wondering how my rank will be determined. I have 20 months experience as a full time PA in Family Practice, and 17 months part-time in Orthopedics.

Re: Rank Determination

What's your educational background?

Comment

Originally posted by bai78 View Post
      What's your educational background?
      Explain how thats relevant (im not being sarcastic). He is a physician assistant...they all direct commiss in my expereience.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
        Explain how thats relevant (im not being sarcastic). He is a physician assistant...they all direct commiss in my expereience.
        Well, there are physician assistants... and then there are physician assistants.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Incognito View Post
          Grade of appointment for direct commission special branches (i.e., AMEDD, JAG, and Chaplain) are based on educational level and experience. A PA could have some additional advanced degrees, although the years of experience in the field have influence as well.

The applicant's AMEDD recruiter can show you the process on grade determination from NGR 600-100 and AR 135-100, as well as any current policy updates.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
            Well, there are physician assistants... and then there are physician assistants.
            +1. I have given myself better diagnosis than some. Anyway, it's 5am and off to PT formation.

Comment

Probably O2 or O3, 1LT or CPT. It's only 30 months from 1LT to CPT so it's no biggie.

Comment

I commissioned in the Guard last October as a 1LT. I have 5 years experience as a practicing PA specializing in neurosurgery. I have 7 years prior active duty. My guess is you'll come in as a 1LT also.

Comment

Originally posted by hurricane View Post
                  I commissioned in the Guard last October as a 1LT. I have 5 years experience as a practicing PA specializing in neurosurgery. I have 7 years prior active duty. My guess is you'll come in as a 1LT also.
                  I am inclined to agree with hurricane. AMEDD Rank is determined (typically) by 3 factors.... .A-Prior COMMISSIONED Service time , B-Exp in the field you are applying for. C-Education beyond your basic qualifying degree3 (PA's it's a BA/BS)
                  It is my understanding you can't use the same time frame twice

Hope this helps.

Comment

Someone at federal HQ granted credited 1 year time in grade (TIG) when I joined as a JAG as a 1LT. I'm not sure how common it is. Something similar may be available to you.

Comment

Constructive Credit is awarded to individuals based on advanced education, internship/residency training, professional experience and prior commission services. When configuring constructive credit, a given time period can only be counted once. For example you cannot count commission service time in another branch druing the period the SM is attending school where credit was given. For PA constructive credit is as follows:

Physician Assistant with PA Certificate - No Credit
                      PA with BS in PA - 1 Year
                      PA with Bachelors degree in other than PA and MS in PA - 2 years
                      PA with BS and MS in PA - 3 years

Appointment rank for AN, MS, SP, VC, Med and Den Students is also as follows:

2LT - Less than 18 Months
                      1LT - 18 Months
                      CPT - 7 Years
                      MAJ - 14 years
                      LTC - 21 years

You will more than likely enter as a 1LT. Hope this helps!!

Comment

I was curious. When they look at your qualifying degree, are they just looking to make sure you meet the qualifying educational requirements, or are they looking deeper? Will they take additional education and occupational license's and accreditations into account in addition to work experience, barring any time in service?

Comment

Working...
                        X