Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MDSSP payback before HPLRP?

Hello,

I am a dental student in the guard currently receiving the MDSSP. I started receiving the stipend at the beginning of my 2nd year so when it's all said and done, I will owe a 6 year commitment to the guard (3 years of stipend = 6 year obligation). My question is this; Will I have to pay back my 6 years owed for MDSSP before I can sign up for HPLRP? Or will I be able to do the HPLRP THEN do the payback for MDSSP? I've been getting some conflicting answers. A definitive answer, or any input for that matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Re: MDSSP payback before HPLRP?

slayer- This information was actually very hard to track down for some reason, but it's buried in the AMEDD Officer Incentives policy memo. Ask your state AMEDD Officer recruiter for a copy of the memo.

The official word is that Dental Corps officers who received MDSSP can sign up for HPLRP. Once you complete dental school, you complete the HPLRP packet for the NGB AMEDD Incentives team. During your HPLRP phase, you will sign on (for example), July 1, 2013 and then come July 1, 2014, you will have $40K paid towards your loans. You can do this for a total of 6 years ($240K). During the years you take HPLRP, you are deferring your obligation phase. In other words, while you continue to drill and receive drill pay during the year you receive HPLRP, you are NOT paying back the time you are obligated to payback for your MDSSP years. Make sense?

Comment

Working...
    X