X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dentist HPLRP

I am a practicing dentist and I am considering the guard for student loan repayment. I have not gotten a direct answer from recruiters but I have federal and private student loans. Will my private loans be eligible for repayment? Anyone had this situation?

Re: Dentist HPLRP

Originally posted by Eagle01 View Post
    I am a practicing dentist and I am considering the guard for student loan repayment. I have not gotten a direct answer from recruiters but I have federal and private student loans. Will my private loans be eligible for repayment? Anyone had this situation?

No, your private loans will not qualify for SLRP. See the SLRP sticky in the Benefits section for more information.

Comment

I trust that you're working with an AMEDD recruiter. No one else can even pretend to deal with medical incentives.

Comment

I am working with a recruiter but I am in the early stages of getting him all of my credentials and he doesn't have a clear answer either. It seems that SLRP is different than HPLRP. I don't know many post-graduates that come out of school without private education loans considering $18,500 is the max federal loan you are allowed per year. That doesn't even cover the cost of tuition.

Comment

Ditto what LTC Ritchie says. Recruiters will give lots of well-meaning advice, but AMEDD benefits and policies are worlds away from non_AMEDD. For instance, disregard the link to SLRP. HPLRP is completely different.

That said, OP, private loans DO NOT qualify for HPLRP. I know you mentioned there being a $18K year federal loan limit, but this isn't true. $18K (I think it's $18.5K?) is the limit for federally SUBSIDIZED loans, but you can qualify for an additional $38K in federally UNSUBSIDIZED loans. Might you be confusing subsidized vs. unsubsidized with private vs. government? I know this to be true, because I am looking down the barrel at close to $200K in federal loans for four years of medical school.

As a licensed dentist, you qualify for $40K per year for a maximum of $240K total towards your student loans, but only for your federal loans. Your private loans do not qualify. The policy is very explicit about this. One of my roles in the Guard while in medical school was AMEDD Officer Recruiting.

By the way, you might focus your questions on one thread rather than multiple ones. It cuts down on the efforts of folks trying to help you.

Comment

Working...
          X