Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 70B Direct Commission?

Hi all,

I have been in contact with my NG recruiter and he informed me that, as a new 70B, I can not direct commission and would have to enlist then go to OCS; Does this sound right? From everything I have researched, all AMEDD officers get direct commission. I fear that my recruiter is just trying to get my to enlist but I just don't have enough information to make an informed decision. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Re: 70B Direct Commission?

Originally posted by mrobert6 View Post
    Hi all,

I have been in contact with my NG recruiter and he informed me that, as a new 70B, I can not direct commission and would have to enlist then go to OCS; Does this sound right? From everything I have researched, all AMEDD officers get direct commission. I fear that my recruiter is just trying to get my to enlist but I just don't have enough information to make an informed decision. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.
    You need to talk to your states AMEDD recruiter. I have never seen a 70B be produced from OCS, although I guess it is technically possible. It would be a lot of extra stuff for nothing, as 70B can direct commission. Talk to your AMEDD / Officer Strentgh Manger.

Comment

Here's the deal. The Guard, unlike the Army Reserve, tends to have higher standards for DC, although, of course there are exceptions in some cases. That being said, most guidance on DC of a 70B requires either some extensive health care admin background, and having prior service as at least an E5. Not all states will adhere strictly to one set of rules. But, for this, there is only one authority that decides. That is a board at USAREC which convenes about once a month for 70B's. Typically, the AMEDD recruiter will only send up a packet for someone that has a high degree of being selected, since there is a cubic boat load of paperwork to do.

Do you have any prior service experience, or a background that would give you favorable odds at being selected? The AMEDD recruiter can answer that. In the guard, at least in my unit, OCS produced every one of our medical officers in the 70 series except one, who was a 70D. The reason is, that they pretty much are all prior service, usually from the Med units in a medical MOS, get recommended for OCS by the chain, and since everyone knows everyone in the Guard that gets anything done, that future officers slot (para/line) is already identified and reserved for the OCS candidate. How many people request to branch medical??? (EDIT: I know this is kind of contradictory, but our state usually sends them to OCS). I'm not talking a few officers here. This a a Medical Bn, LTC, 4 MAJ, over a dozen CPT, and a LT.

The Army Reserve has their own way of doing things. However, if you lack the credentials to direct commission, your option would be to go to OCS and try branching medical. If that is the only option, you need to get to know the Med unit, and let them know you are interested. But, as mentioned, speak to the AMEDD recruiter. This is from my states point of view. Yours may be different. Once again, bypass the recruiter immediately and ask for the states AMEDD recruiter. Therein lies your answer.

On a side note, just to illustrate that paths of commissioning can vary: My replacement in the Bn (72D Environmental Science Officer- Almost exclusively DC'd) came up through ROTC, was commissioned as a 70B because there was a holdup with some paperwork. The interesting thing is, 6 months later, she was boarded for the 72D, and got it. So she ended up in a slot that is usually (almost always) a DC officer, but will now have far more options to promote because any state at best has (4) 72D's. She will be able to branch transfer or change AOC's whereas a DC officer is stuck in that AOC (well, except 70 series..they work up the chain from 70B to 70K,H...etc. to be eligible to promote to major).
      Last edited by rat4spd; January 28th, 2013, 06:43 PM. Reason: Add a story.

Comment

Originally posted by rat4spd View Post
        Here's the deal. The Guard, unlike the Army Reserve, tends to have higher standards for DC, although, of course there are exceptions in some cases. That being said, most guidance on DC of a 70B requires either some extensive health care admin background, and having prior service as at least an E5. Not all states will adhere strictly to one set of rules. But, for this, there is only one authority that decides. That is a board at USAREC which convenes about once a month for 70B's. Typically, the AMEDD recruiter will only send up a packet for someone that has a high degree of being selected, since there is a cubic boat load of paperwork to do.

Do you have any prior service experience, or a background that would give you favorable odds at being selected? The AMEDD recruiter can answer that. In the guard, at least in my unit, OCS produced every one of our medical officers in the 70 series except one, who was a 70D. The reason is, that they pretty much are all prior service, usually from the Med units in a medical MOS, get recommended for OCS by the chain, and since everyone knows everyone in the Guard that gets anything done, that future officers slot (para/line) is already identified and reserved for the OCS candidate. How many people request to branch medical??? (EDIT: I know this is kind of contradictory, but our state usually sends them to OCS). I'm not talking a few officers here. This a a Medical Bn, LTC, 4 MAJ, over a dozen CPT, and a LT.

The Army Reserve has their own way of doing things. However, if you lack the credentials to direct commission, your option would be to go to OCS and try branching medical. If that is the only option, you need to get to know the Med unit, and let them know you are interested. But, as mentioned, speak to the AMEDD recruiter. This is from my states point of view. Yours may be different. Once again, bypass the recruiter immediately and ask for the states AMEDD recruiter. Therein lies your answer.

On a side note, just to illustrate that paths of commissioning can vary: My replacement in the Bn (72D Environmental Science Officer- Almost exclusively DC'd) came up through ROTC, was commissioned as a 70B because there was a holdup with some paperwork. The interesting thing is, 6 months later, she was boarded for the 72D, and got it. So she ended up in a slot that is usually (almost always) a DC officer, but will now have far more options to promote because any state at best has (4) 72D's. She will be able to branch transfer or change AOC's whereas a DC officer is stuck in that AOC (well, except 70 series..they work up the chain from 70B to 70K,H...etc. to be eligible to promote to major).
        Boom! And there you have it.

Comment

Originally posted by ParalegalNCO1 View Post
          You need to talk to your states AMEDD recruiter. I have never seen a 70B be produced from OCS, although I guess it is technically possible. It would be a lot of extra stuff for nothing, as 70B can direct commission. Talk to your AMEDD / Officer Strentgh Manger.
          As well as ROTC. All my 70D supervisors commissioned from ROTC. OP, you did not provide enough background to provide a lucid response but Paralegal'a advice on talking to an AMEDD recruiter is the proper step to take.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
            As well as ROTC. All my 70D supervisors commissioned from ROTC. OP, you did not provide enough background to provide a lucid response but Paralegal'a advice on talking to an AMEDD recruiter is the proper step to take.
            Our 70D was ROTC as well.

Comment

Sorry for the lack of info. I have a BS in Respiratory Care and a Masters in Health Care Administration. I have 6 years of hospital management experience, a six sigma black belt, and an ACHE fellow (so I don't lack credentials). I do not have any prior service however. FYI I was talking to my states AMEDD recruiter. The path he wants me to take is: enlist, basic, a year long OCS doing one weekend a month/ two weeks a year, then BOLC long course. This is the reason for my thread, it just doesn't seem right to me. I have heard of 70Bs with a graduate degree and health care experience DC then BOLC short course.

Comment

Your lack of prior service is probably why they want you to go through OCS. No matter what commissioning path you take, BOLC for 70B's is the long course. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by rat4spd View Post
                  Your lack of prior service is probably why they want you to go through OCS. No matter what commissioning path you take, BOLC for 70B's is the long course. Good luck.
                  Going the OCS or ROTC route is always going to afford one more opportunities later on in their career, especially if they want to switch MOSs.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
                    Going the OCS or ROTC route is always going to afford one more opportunities later on in their career, especially if they want to switch MOSs.

+1. And then they were two.

Comment

Working...
                    X