X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions

Okay so I am getting ready too start my 2nd year of college and I now have two years in the National Guard. I am interested in going to MED School and becoming a Doctor in the National Guard, and I wanna do it as soon as I can. My unit is planning to deploy sometime next year, but I really want too focus on getting my grades as good as I can and hopefully wait too deploy after MED School. Does anyone know if this is possible, like is there a possibility I could just drill with the Rear Detachment or anything?

Re: Questions

Originally posted by Blake Neese View Post
    Okay so I am getting ready too start my 2nd year of college and I now have two years in the National Guard. I am interested in going to MED School and becoming a Doctor in the National Guard, and I wanna do it as soon as I can. My unit is planning to deploy sometime next year, but I really want too focus on getting my grades as good as I can and hopefully wait too deploy after MED School. Does anyone know if this is possible, like is there a possibility I could just drill with the Rear Detachment or anything?
    If I was your commander, I'd tell you to get your @$$ on that plane like the rest of us did as privates at the beginning of the war(s).

Why are you asking this here? This is a question for your chain of command.

Comment

So you want to be an MD but you don't have the ability to research different ways to work the system? Me thinks you need to re-evaluate.

Comment

Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
        So you want to be an MD but you don't have the ability to research different ways to work the system? Me thinks you need to re-evaluate.
        I have been researching the system, but this isnt a very big subject... so.i came on bere too seek more knowledge about the system.

Comment

I agree with the above posters. This is a specific question best asked of your Commander at the time of a deployment. Deployments now a days are usually planned way in advanced and often start with volunteers. Bottom line is, if you are called to go, you need to be prepared to go regardless of where you are at in your education.

On a personal note, as a Soldier that has seriously looked into the medical field, I would encourage you to focus on getting into medical school first. It's a long and arduous path with many challenges. One does not just say "I want to go to medical school." It is going to take a lot of effort and scholastic excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by RyCass View Post
            I agree with the above posters. This is a specific question best asked of your Commander at the time of a deployment. Deployments now a days are usually planned way in advanced and often start with volunteers. Bottom line is, if you are called to go, you need to be prepared to go regardless of where you are at in your education.

On a personal note, as a Soldier that has seriously looked into the medical field, I would encourage you to focus on getting into medical school first. It's a long and arduous path with many challenges. One does not just say "I want to go to medical school." It is going to take a lot of effort and scholastic excellence.
            That's what im trying too do, is.get into medical school before i deploy

Comment

I think you're (significantly) underestimating the amount of time and effort it takes to apply and be accepted to medical school. If you're serious about it, you should talk to your advisor at school and your supervisors in the Guard to figure out the best way. Unless you are in a biological sciences field already, you will need to plan your undergraduate courses appropriately to be qualified to apply to medical schools when you graduate.

Comment

You need to understand that you signed a contract and your obligation to it comes first; hence a deployment. AD Soldiers do not have the option to request this based on education goals and I think Guard members have much more latitude to skirt out of a deployment. My suggestion is to go on the deployment and gain experience and it will make you more reputable for a direct commission as a Doctor down the road which is many years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by PirateFace View Post
                  I think you're (significantly) underestimating the amount of time and effort it takes to apply and be accepted to medical school. If you're serious about it, you should talk to your advisor at school and your supervisors in the Guard to figure out the best way. Unless you are in a biological sciences field already, you will need to plan your undergraduate courses appropriately to be qualified to apply to medical schools when you graduate.
                  Absolutely. Well said

Comment

...there is always DO school.

Comment

Yes, that is true. The course load is still the same, however. It's really the entrance requirements that are less competitive. Either way, the OP is choosing a challenging path! And as posters have said above, he will need to find a way to honor his enlistment commitment while pursuing his education.

Overall, OP, I wish you the best in your endeavors.

Comment

You need to get a book or google how you go about getting into medical school. You still have to do two plus more years of undergraduate courses before you can get in to medical school. You will not get in before a deployment next year.

I'm a doc but also a Guardsman and I'm with the others on this: you need to do the legwork yourself with your Chain of Command. If they want to get a free pass to someone because they want to stay behind and study for pre-reqs on the off chance he'll end up getting into med school (there are FAR more premeds than medical school matriculants), that will be a great thing for you. Worst case scenario, you defer your studies for a year and fulfill your Guard obligation, which will be good for you personally, professionally, and give you something to talk about in med school interviews.

Talk to an advisor. There are very specific prereqs for med school and if you're thinking you'll be getting in next year as a sophomore, I'd do a bit of leg work to make sure you're satisfying the courses you need.

Comment

Working...
                        X