X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dentists in the National Guard?

First of all I want to thank everyone that takes the time to write in these posts that benefit so many people. I joined this forum today while looking for answers to many questions I have, Hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction or help me out.

I recently graduated AIT as a 92A about a week ago. (still don't have a unit since I am in the process of moving to this state so I don't have any one to ask this to)Honestly I have always wanted to pursue a career in the medical field but after months of waiting for ANYTHING to open up before making an MOS decision I had to give up and choose something else. I want to go ROTC route while staying in school to become a dentist. But as I have been doing a lot of research and still not found anything. What exactly do I need to do (steps need to be taken) to become a dentist for the National Guard. Is that even possible, or will I have to look towards the reserve or even only active. Can I still go ROTC/SMP and that way it will help me pay for some of my school. Having said that, I already have completed 2yrs of college toward pre-med so its mainly biology, chemistry and all those good courses. How many years are the minimum I would have to serve if (in case available) the Guard pays for all or most of my studies and can I choose to do more. Are there AGR positions available, and are those only available to certain states. I live in NC and currently a PFC.

Thank you for all your help and here is my email mm.ggg.12@gmail.com
    I normally do not get on this site so I will also gladly reply any emails with information anyone can share with me.

PFC Martinez M
    NC National Guard

Re: Dentists in the National Guard?

I'm pretty sure that Medical is very similar to the Chaplain Corp. They have an early commissioning program, you could wait to do that while you are in.

I see great things in your future. Or you can do SMP ROTC now, and collect your R GI Bill, then in two years apply to delay your commission. And go to dentist school. Medical is direct commission so it is not absolutely necessary to do ROTC. Though the money and training of ROTC is priceless.

Years served, as an early commission you would have a temporary commission, then as an Officer you can be called back into service for pretty much the rest of your life. I think the obligation for SLRP is 6 years though.

I met a full bird dentist not too long ago, seems like an awesome way to serve.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaplain4me View Post
      I'm pretty sure that Medical is very similar to the Chaplain Corp. They have an early commissioning program, you could wait to do that while you are in.

I see great things in your future. Or you can do SMP ROTC now, and collect your R GI Bill, then in two years apply to delay your commission. And go to dentist school. Medical is direct commission so it is not absolutely necessary to do ROTC. Though the money and training of ROTC is priceless.

Years served, as an early commission you would have a temporary commission, then as an Officer you can be called back into service for pretty much the rest of your life. I think the obligation for SLRP is 6 years though.

I met a full bird dentist not too long ago, seems like an awesome way to serve.
      Thank you so much for your help Chaplain4me. I have another question, what is applying to delay commission, and how can I go about that.. Would they allow me to do that?? and what does it mean to have a temporary commission by early commission? I am so sorry about so many questions but I am brand new to military life and want to make the best decisions. Thank you again.

Comment

Temporary commissions are like milk they expire, they are pretty much for training purposes.

Delaying your ROTC commission is for the purpose of continuing your education, which they probably would do because dentists are harder to come by than line officers.

The best financial path is to do SMP/ROTC, in my opinion. I don't know though you should call the Medical recruiter for your state and talk to them because they have the information on incentives for dentists.

You have a lot of options you don't have to do ROTC....you can go straight from enlisted into a temporary commission. You might think about doing the Army Reserve, it may be easier to go active duty when you are finished with medical school.

Somewhere in your state is a O5 COL dentist or medical officer, that would be a good person to talk to.

Comment

Temporary commissions are like milk they expire, they are pretty much for training purposes.

Delaying your ROTC commission is for the purpose of continuing your education, which they probably would do because dentists are harder to come by than line officers.

The best financial path is to do SMP/ROTC, in my opinion. I don't know though you should call the Medical recruiter for your state and talk to them because they have the information on incentives for dentists.

You have a lot of options you don't have to do ROTC....you can go straight from enlisted into a temporary commission. You might think about doing the Army Reserve, it may be easier to go active duty when you are finished with medical school.

Somewhere in your state is a O5 COL dentist or medical officer, that would be a good person to talk to.
          Thank You soo much Chaplain4me, you have been very helpful. This week I will take your advice and track my Medical recruiter and either a medical officer or military dentist and do my homework locally! I appreciate your help and motivation. Will keep you updated! here is my email mm.ggg.12@gmail.com

Comment

Being an army dentist is a good gig. On active duty they pay you regular officer pay along with other medical pay and it adds up quick....plus you'll start out as an O3 CPT...

You don't have to do the early commissioning thing, you can wait until you become a dentist and go straight from being enlisted into the dental corps. Like I said you have many options now that you are enlisted. I would think the earlier you become a cadet (you should also speak with an ROTC enrollment officer) or an early commission (once you finish your undergraduate degree) the more pleased you will be with your career, perhaps.... Good luck in finding the right path to the dental corps.

Being a staff officer is great!!!! There's not as much prestige as running troops but being an expert in your lane is amazing. And you don't have to command troops, and get paid the same or more....amazing...I'm telling you staff officer work is where it's at. As a Chaplain you have one boss, the battalion cmdr, and no one to supervise other than your assistant. Life is good on this side brother....
            Last edited by Chaplain4me; December 2nd, 2012, 08:26 PM.

Comment

http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/

http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG7...d/dentist.html

Good places to start..

Comment

Originally posted by jmclaughlin1701 View Post
                Thank You, jmclaughlin1701 and Chaplain4me.. If ya'll know anything else please let me know. I am still looking for information, schools and opportunities.

Comment

I would strongly suggest thinking long and hard about combining ROTC with plans of dental or medical school. It's possible, but far from ideal. Depending on your particular unit, ROTC can eat up LOTS of your time and are not necessarily going to be accommodating to a premed/predent student schedule. This can hit your grades hard and potentially sabotage your ability to get in to med or dental school.

Secondly, educational degrees are NOT automatically granted. Chaplain2Me's logic that it's a no brainer as docs and dentists are a lot harder to recruit than line officers makes sense, but this is not how it's always done. You can find yourself NOT granted the educational deferment and spend years with a line unit in a potentially deployable status which could be a real problem with med or dental school.

Feel free to PM if you have more questions.

Comment

notyetdead is a AMEDD student (perhaps a doc now, he's a mysterious enigma on the forum) by the way....you've heard it from the horses mouth.....I never said it was a no brainer, you need to go back and reread the thread....
                    Last edited by Chaplain4me; December 16th, 2012, 09:42 PM.

Comment

notyetdead is a AMEDD student (perhaps a doc now, he's a mysterious enigma on the forum) by the way....you've heard it from the horses mouth.....I never said it was a no brainer, you need to go back and reread the thread....
                      Doc now, thank God.

You never did say it was a no brainer. I'm probably editorializing, apologies. The ROTC folks at lots of campuses make it sound very easy to get an ed delay when you're thinking med school, dental school, etc. but many potentials end up not getting them (which is odd, since filling those slots is about the hardest to recruit for... go figger...).

Comment

Great to see you are well.

Comment

You too. Are you a full Chaplain now, or still in the pipeline? Hope it's going well. Marathons not sprints, and all that...

Comment

It's looking promising....almost there
                            Last edited by Chaplain4me; December 17th, 2012, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X