X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amedd

Do they accept bachelors degrees for Environmental Science Officer direct commission? Or is more often graduate level? And do they just attend BOLC?

Re: Amedd

Yes-BA/BS. Yes-BOLC only.

Comment

But it is degree specific.

Comment

They would ideally prefer an environmental science, hygiene or similar degree. That said, they will take a natural science degree. Your experience has a lot to do with being selected.

Comment

I was never certain how they would feel about a BS. I have mine in Environmental Health Science with a minior in Biology. I have also worked in the Environmental/ Public Health field for several years and publshed one article. But I was told somewhere that they prefered to recruit from with in the service, with prior experience in the field. I think it was a recruiter that told me that. He also told me that Graduate studies w prefered.

I am suprosed that there is no OCS or officer training. I know that the ESO position is more deployable than most Medical service jobs. I read that the AMEDD BOLC can be compressed to like 28 days. I didnt think that was long enough to ensure physical fittness and competency with weapons.

Comment

The Medical Service Corps BOLC is between 7 - 9 weeks depending on AOC. MC, ANC, SP have the shorter BOLC that lasts just over 3 weeks.

Comment

I have also heard that you are required to take a Direct Commission Officers Course. Is that part of the 7-9-weeks? Can the course be taken at a later date?

Comment

To clear up BOLC for ARNG AMEDD, the only people required to take the 9 week long course are 67J (Aero evac pilots) and 70B, entry level Platoon leaders. All other direct commissions take the short (Reserve) course which was 28 days last I knew. You can, subject to your availability and the money if available take the long course.

I would recommend that anyone take the long course if possible. The only difference is the long course has six weeks of PowerPoint. Non prior would benefit. BOLC is not there to get you in shape. You'll do PT in the field, but that's it. Both the long and short course merge for the three weeks in the field. The Short course jumps right in, no days off.
                Last edited by rat4spd; October 3rd, 2012, 04:11 PM. Reason: 70B not 72B, ento.

Comment

I think it is probably the same for Army reserves too. I wouldnt expect powerpoint. Must be an interesting 6 weeks.
                  Last edited by EasternShoreman; October 3rd, 2012, 05:10 PM.

Comment

In the Army, learn to love powerpoint. That extra six weeks buys you leadership time also.

Comment

Working...
                    X