X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RN enlisting at 68W?

I will be graduating with my RN degree in May 2013. After graduation I would like to enlist. I am trying to get as much information as possible before I go to my recruiter, so that I know what I want and what to ask for.

I have tried to research MOS's, but am not sure which one I should request. It appears that 68WM6 results in an LPN level position, which is lower than my will-be qualifications. I do not want to go on to become a MD or PA, I would just like to be a nurse in either the Guard or Army.

I would also like to know how being a RN prior to enlistment affect my AIT training, length-wise.

Any advice?

Thanks so much!

Re: RN enlisting at 68W?

Consider becomming an officer through direct commission.

I believe these are the MOS you could be as an Army Nurse:

BRANCH 66 ARMY NURSE CORPS (ANC)
    66C PSYCHIATRIC/MENTAL HEALTH NURSE
    66E OPERATING ROOM NURSE
    66F NURSE ANESTHETIST
    66H MEDICAL-SURGICAL NURSE
    66N GENERALIST NURSE

I don't know how direct commissioning works, just that its possible. When you goto your recruiter, ask about it.

Comment

Good luck. I am thinking nursing positions in each state are far and few though. Good thing about doing a DC is you avoid basic training and take a course on military/officer customs instead. You also can get a higher rank depending on your experience and education. But for a fresh nurse, count on 2nd lieutenant.
      Last edited by SteveLord; August 19th, 2012, 10:27 PM.

Comment

The LT is correct that MOST states have very few avalible Army Nurse Corps slots that exsist, and fewer that are open. 66 series can be filled to 125% strength, but it's not uncommon for states to already be exceeding the regulatory maximums. Your state's OSM will know for certain. Maybe you'll get "lucky". If not, my advice would be to talk to a local AMEDD Recruiter and consider the Army, Navy or AF Reserve. Your BSN-RN will allow you to direct commission into any of the services, other medical and moral issues nonwithstanding. I don't typcially push people away from the Guard, but we simply do not have a huge pool of nurses within our ranks, and even the ones we do have don't have the clinical opportunities their Reserve counterparts have.

Comment

Working...
        X