Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Nursing School and want to become a Nurse Officer

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

I will be starting the 18month Associate Degree nursing program in August and will continue on to the 1-year program to receive my Bachelors in nursing. My main goal is to become an officer, and I would like to have a head start on this process. Any advice and suggestions is greatly appreciated.

-Prior-Enlisted Marine served 4 years. 28 yrs. old
    -Any information on financial assistance while going to school fulltime.
    -Suggestions and advice with STRAP, ROTC, etc.

From what I have read thus far, a bachelors is needed to be commissioned as an officer, but I would like to know my options while I am going through school.

Thank you!

Re: Starting Nursing School and want to become a Nurse Officer

Once you have your RN Degree you can apply for a Direct Commission to AN Corps but since it will be an ADN you have to be enrolled in and taking classes toward your BSN. Your recruiter will need to board you for STRAP during the direct commission application process. You don't have to take the STRAP but you do need to be boarded for it in order to be approved

Comment

Originally posted by MedRecruiter View Post
      Once you have your RN Degree you can apply for a Direct Commission to AN Corps but since it will be an ADN you have to be enrolled in and taking classes toward your BSN. Your recruiter will need to board you for STRAP during the direct commission application process. You don't have to take the STRAP but you do need to be boarded for it in order to be approved
      Thank you so much for the information! Is it competitive to be on the STRAP program once you I have my ADN (pursuing a BSN?)

Comment

And just to verify, you are intending in the future to access into the National Guard, Army Reserve or Active Component?

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
          And just to verify, you are intending in the future to access into the National Guard, Army Reserve or Active Component?
          I want the best route after I finish my ADN program. I am still researching which would be more beneficial. I want the route where I can be guaranteed that I will be an officer as a Nurse. I want to get my BSN right after, but my main goal is to be an officer. I would like to be Active, but if the reserve component gets me to my goal as an officer quicker, then I would look into that first.

What are your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by USMC2RN View Post
            I want the best route after I finish my ADN program. I am still researching which would be more beneficial. I want the route where I can be guaranteed that I will be an officer as a Nurse. I want to get my BSN right after, but my main goal is to be an officer. I would like to be Active, but if the reserve component gets me to my goal as an officer quicker, then I would look into that first.

What are your thoughts?

First, it is important to know that you cannot access under any circumstance into the Active Duty Army Nurse Corps with anything less than a BSN.

Secondly, the National Guard does not have a vast amount of nursing positions in comparison to the Army Reserve. State Medical Commands do have 66H and a few other AOCs, but their numbers aren't significant. States can assess up to 125% for Nurses, but you should check in what state you would be considering service in to see if there is any avaliblility, or projected avalibility. Even if there is, the likelyhood of other prior service, higher qualified candidates being "in the pipeline" for the slots is not atypical. Many states, (mine included), do not even entertain a ADN applicant (even though regulation technically allows it). Again, after checking with your state's AMEDD Strength Manager, if you came up empty, it would be worth talking to an AMEDD Reserve recruiter.

Although I know you are eager, it is a far wiser career move to finish your BSN education and then start looking at both Active and Reserve opportunities. I would ask you what your motivation is. (i.e. "My main goal is to be an officer"). If you are serious about serving in a significant commissioned capacity why not attend ROTC during college, or OCS and basic branch? Frankly, a 66H in a State Medcom is not particularly challenging unless you like watching medics give HEP B shots, or running the hearing booth.

Comment

First, it is important to know that you cannot access under any circumstance into the Active Duty Army Nurse Corps with anything less than a BSN.

Secondly, the National Guard does not have a vast amount of nursing positions in comparison to the Army Reserve. State Medical Commands do have 66H and a few other AOCs, but their numbers aren't significant. States can assess up to 125% for Nurses, but you should check in what state you would be considering service in to see if there is any avaliblility, or projected avalibility. Even if there is, the likelyhood of other prior service, higher qualified candidates being "in the pipeline" for the slots is not atypical. Many states, (mine included), do not even entertain a ADN applicant (even though regulation technically allows it). Again, after checking with your state's AMEDD Strength Manager, if you came up empty, it would be worth talking to an AMEDD Reserve recruiter.

Although I know you are eager, it is a far wiser career move to finish your BSN education and then start looking at both Active and Reserve opportunities. I would ask you what your motivation is. (i.e. "My main goal is to be an officer"). If you are serious about serving in a significant commissioned capacity why not attend ROTC during college, or OCS and basic branch? Frankly, a 66H in a State Medcom is not particularly challenging unless you like watching medics give HEP B shots, or running the hearing booth.
              Thank you very much for the reply. I will focus more so on getting my BSN and consider both the Active and the Reserve opportunities. I have looked into the ROTC and OCS, but the recruiter who I was referred to would want me to enlist while I am in school. I know this could be done, but since I was prior-enlisted I know at times it could be very difficult to be in school. I will be attending nursing school, so I know enlisting would not be an option. I don' t know if the recruiter was an AMEDD officer or not, but I have tried contacting the numbers I am provided on the internet as well as the automatic email reply I receive when I try to get more information about a particular program.

Looking at the website for the ROTC for either Active/Reserve, there is an age requirement that I know I will surpass by the time I am commissioned. Is there an age waiver for that? When I look at the basic requirements for ROTC or OCS, I don't think I can qualify because of my age. I am 28 now, but with the ADN and BSN program it would be over the minimum age requirement.

I have made up my mind when I was still enlisted that I would like to be a Nurse Officer when I was in a humanitarian mission at Pakistan. Even though my duties then was Communications, I had to take part in a Triage and a hospital setting, which I knew I would like to be a part of. Thank you again for your advice and suggestions!

Comment

At 28 years old, you remain eligible for just about everything excluding West Point. ROTC, OCS are still viable options for you for several years to come, or you could just rely on your professional nursing education and accept a ANC commission when you graduate. You can do that well into your 40s, so you've got plenty of time.

Comment

At 28 years old, you remain eligible for just about everything excluding West Point. ROTC, OCS are still viable options for you for several years to come, or you could just rely on your professional nursing education and accept a ANC commission when you graduate. You can do that well into your 40s, so you've got plenty of time.
                  Thank you very much! This has been very helpful. I am now looking at some ROTC options. I am currently in a Community College, and I don't see my school as a crosstown school from the schools that have the ROTC program. I will email them anyways. For ROTC, do you need to be accepted to a school that provides it or can I still attend while going through my Nursing program?

Comment

Hey guys,
                    I am a BSN student looking into Navy nursing schools. I just talked to a Navy Medical Recruiter who sent me the Nurse Candidate Program (NCP) application. There are a lot of forms to fill so I am just trying to get everything done as soon as I can to increase my chances of getting in. I was wondering if anyone who has experience with the Navy Corps and the NCP to share their experiences with me. Here are a few questions I have to start. Thanks in advance!

1. How long did the application process take?
                    2. Any tips on making my application more appealing?
                    3. For those who were accepted to NCP, how long did it take for the Navy to inform you?
                    -------------

www.askforeducation.com/online-schools/by-subject/health-medicine/nursing/
                    Last edited by jennimme; February 2nd, 2013, 05:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X