Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Physician Assistant Deployments - new rules? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Physician Assistant Deployments - new rules?

    does anyone know what the current policy is on PA deployments?

  • #2
    Re: Physician Assistant Deployments - new rules?

    I made your post an individual thread so that you can get more relevant responses.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Physician Assistant Deployments - new rules?

      If you are the assigned PA to an MTOE unit (Battalion Aid Station for example) and your unit is deploying, the policy is for you to deploy with your unit for the duration of the deployment unless sooner released by proper authority.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Physician Assistant Deployments - new rules?

        Originally posted by ncorthopa View Post
        does anyone know what the current policy is on PA deployments?
        The current policy memorandum for PAs is "180-day Boots on the Ground (BOG)" plus processing time on each end not to exceed 30 days. If you are deploying with your own unit you can voluntarily stay for the entire deployment.

        After the 180 day period, you have 3 years before you can be deployed again.

        Message me if you want me to e-mail you the current policy memo.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Physician Assistant Deployments - new rules?

          Originally posted by Sentinel36 View Post
          The current policy memorandum for PAs is "180-day Boots on the Ground (BOG)" plus processing time on each end not to exceed 30 days. If you are deploying with your own unit you can voluntarily stay for the entire deployment.

          After the 180 day period, you have 3 years before you can be deployed again.

          Message me if you want me to e-mail you the current policy memo.

          My apologies. I usually try to make sure my homework is done prior to posting. I haven't seen the policy memo for PAs. I would think it would be quite complicated for a BAS to loose their PA 1/2 to 3/4 through a deployment cycle. I can think of cases where there would be no one else to replace them. I thought it was only Physician's with serious "special interest" issues. Go figure.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Physician Assistant Deployments - new rules?

            Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
            My apologies. I usually try to make sure my homework is done prior to posting. I haven't seen the policy memo for PAs. I would think it would be quite complicated for a BAS to loose their PA 1/2 to 3/4 through a deployment cycle. I can think of cases where there would be no one else to replace them. I thought it was only Physician's with serious "special interest" issues. Go figure.
            My last unit was with a medical one and doctors only could deploy for 180 days (and I was there for a year). Now I know PA is not the same as a medical doctor but they do alot of the same functions. My experience with medical and medical service corps officers goes to show they operate in a "different" Army.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Physician Assistant Deployments - new rules?

              That's how it goes. A new doc every 90 days, a new PA every 180 days. I did it last year in Iraq on the final rotation to operation New Dawn. Was deployed to an ASMC, which has 3 docs and 3 PAs assigned.

              The unit PA can VOLUNTARILY stay for the entire deployment.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Physician Assistant Deployments - new rules?

                Sentinel36,

                I'm a new PA in the guard. If you could send me a pm, email or even post the policy letter info that would be very helpful. I know commanders like to have solid references (policy letter or regulation) when planning for deployments rather than having a cherry Lt say "I heard on the internet" or "my buddies unit does...."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Physician Assistant Deployments - new rules?

                  Good evening,

                  I'm new to the forum. I'm also a newly commissioned PA. I too would like a copy of this policy memo since I can not find it anywhere. I have approached my recruiter as well as command, both with conflicting responses, and none with black and white policy. I emailed sentinel36, but if anyone else has current information, please feel free to email or message me with the info. It would be greatly appreciated!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Physician Assistant Deployments - new rules?

                    Originally posted by Armyrsvepa View Post
                    Good evening,

                    I'm new to the forum. I'm also a newly commissioned PA. I too would like a copy of this policy memo since I can not find it anywhere. I have approached my recruiter as well as command, both with conflicting responses, and none with black and white policy. I emailed sentinel36, but if anyone else has current information, please feel free to email or message me with the info. It would be greatly appreciated!
                    I e-mailed you the policy letter. It also has the NGB contact number so you can get a current copy if needed. Otherwise your State Surgeon's Office should have it.

                    v/r,
                    TRS

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Physician Assistant Deployments - new rules?

                      I am currently a practicing PA and have been looking into the National Guard rather seriously. I have several questions, but the issue of deployment times and policies are at the top of the list. Also, when enlisting, what is the policy of enlistment in terms of "contract" vs enlistment (3 year contract as mentioned in loan repayment/special pay and total time requirements in the Guard)? Are they the same? Are you all able to keep your current clinical/surgical civilian jobs during deployment?
                      Last edited by ProspectPAC; December 15th, 2012, 10:08 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Physician Assistant Deployments - new rules?

                        First of all, you will be an officer. That means you receive a commission. That is not an enlistment. You contract for certain benefits (SLRP, bonus, etc), but you as an officer you don't have an end of service date. Although you may sign a contract for 3 years, as an officer you are not automatically out after that time. You actually would have to resign your commission, which is an administrative process that can take many months, especially for medical officers, because they don't like to see us go.

                        That being said, you have an 8 year committment to the Armed Services, if you resign before that time, you would be assigned to the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) for the remainder of the 8 year term. As a medical officer you are subject to recall until age 65 or something like that. Possible, but unlikely short of an all out war.

                        Good luck. Try to network with some "live" ARNG PA's and even spend a drill weekend with them before moving forward. It can be a great experience, but it is not for everyone. The type of unit you are in can make a big difference, too. A medical unit is a better place for a new guy with no military experience rather than a combat arms battalion. I've spent all of my Guard time in the Infantry (first as an enlisted combat medic, now as the PA). It has grown old...I'm retiring very soon.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Physician Assistant Deployments - new rules?

                          Originally posted by Sentinel36 View Post
                          First of all, you will be an officer. That means you receive a commission. That is not an enlistment. You contract for certain benefits (SLRP, bonus, etc), but you as an officer you don't have an end of service date. Although you may sign a contract for 3 years, as an officer you are not automatically out after that time. You actually would have to resign your commission, which is an administrative process that can take many months, especially for medical officers, because they don't like to see us go.

                          That being said, you have an 8 year committment to the Armed Services, if you resign before that time, you would be assigned to the Individual Ready Reserve (IRR) for the remainder of the 8 year term. As a medical officer you are subject to recall until age 65 or something like that. Possible, but unlikely short of an all out war.

                          Good luck. Try to network with some "live" ARNG PA's and even spend a drill weekend with them before moving forward. It can be a great experience, but it is not for everyone. The type of unit you are in can make a big difference, too. A medical unit is a better place for a new guy with no military experience rather than a combat arms battalion. I've spent all of my Guard time in the Infantry (first as an enlisted combat medic, now as the PA). It has grown old...I'm retiring very soon.
                          I am begining my process of enlistment (MEPS in a few days) as a 68w. Current paramedic, I am looking to advance my civilian career to NP or PA. It seems like you have extensive knowledge about the medical side of the NG, if you could do me the favor of answering my questions that would be awesome. What was your route to get where you are as PA? What are some roles you or other PAs have in the NG? I love procedures, trauma, and being "in the moment" and I was wondering where my niche might be as I start my journy.
                          Thanks!

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X