Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

New physician just entering residency with questions

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • New physician just entering residency with questions

    Hello all,

    I just graduated from medical school and will be starting my residency next month. I guess I was wondering if I should wait and join after it's completed? I was also wondering if by joining the guard I will be sent somewhere else to serve? I would like to remain close to my family, except obviously for deployments etc. Any advice or knowledge would be appreciated, thank you!

    -J

  • #2
    Re: New physician just entering residency with questions

    Originally posted by JLFerger View Post
    Hello all,

    I just graduated from medical school and will be starting my residency next month. I guess I was wondering if I should wait and join after it's completed? I was also wondering if by joining the guard I will be sent somewhere else to serve? I would like to remain close to my family, except obviously for deployments etc. Any advice or knowledge would be appreciated, thank you!

    -J
    A few days ago I went to see an AMEDD Recruiter with my friend looking towards the Army Nurse Corps.

    I would highly recommend not wasting time and speak to an AMEDD Recruiter. AMEDD is nothing like "Big Army" at all, no AMEDD Recruiter has ever said otherwise to myself or my friend. YOu can do your Residency while serving as a Medical Officer in your medical specialty. Talk to an AMEDD Recruiter ASAP.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: New physician just entering residency with questions

      Originally posted by FutureEngineer View Post
      A few days ago I went to see an AMEDD Recruiter with my friend looking towards the Army Nurse Corps.
      Hilarious. Either you know ever living soul in the state of Washington that wants to join the Washington State Army National Guard; or you hang out at the recruiting doors telling 'Nam' stories.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: New physician just entering residency with questions

        Originally posted by JLFerger View Post
        Hello all,

        I just graduated from medical school and will be starting my residency next month. I guess I was wondering if I should wait and join after it's completed? I was also wondering if by joining the guard I will be sent somewhere else to serve? I would like to remain close to my family, except obviously for deployments etc. Any advice or knowledge would be appreciated, thank you!

        -J
        One of the great benefits of joining the National Guard is that you can expect that your primary location will be in your home state. You have a plethora of opportunities in the National Guard's Army Medical Department (AMEDD), to include bonuses and/or student loan repayment. To find out more about AMEDD, please visit http://www.NATIONALGUARD.com/careers...5_web_20120517 or if you would like to have a one-on-one chat with our AMEDD specialty operator, you can contact them at 1-866-529-1354

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: New physician just entering residency with questions

          Doc,

          PM inbound.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: New physician just entering residency with questions

            J-

            Tough call that will largely depend on your circumstances and residency. If you're surgery or medicine, Guard duty can be a challenge. With Flexi-Training policy, you're only required to drill 6 weekends a year and a 2 week annual training every other year, but this can be rough if you're in an hour heavy residency. Some states, and specifically some units, will bend over backwards for you. Others less so. A conversation with a potential CO usually clears that right up.

            You are protected from deployment during residency. After residency, deployments are limited to 90 days boots on ground (120 total), which is very doable but rules out solo or small group practice when you're done with residency.

            I'm a doc, resident, and drilling Guardsman. Feel free to post a question here or PM me...

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: New physician just entering residency with questions

              Originally posted by notyetdead View Post
              J-

              Tough call that will largely depend on your circumstances and residency. If you're surgery or medicine, Guard duty can be a challenge. With Flexi-Training policy, you're only required to drill 6 weekends a year and a 2 week annual training every other year, but this can be rough if you're in an hour heavy residency. Some states, and specifically some units, will bend over backwards for you. Others less so. A conversation with a potential CO usually clears that right up.

              You are protected from deployment during residency. After residency, deployments are limited to 90 days boots on ground (120 total), which is very doable but rules out solo or small group practice when you're done with residency.

              I'm a doc, resident, and drilling Guardsman. Feel free to post a question here or PM me...
              Here's a question that I never received an answer for:

              Originally posted by Polo08816 View Post
              Are AMEDD officers promoted in accordance with the "time in service" requirement as basic branch officers? For example, if someone direct commissions as an O-3 with no prior service, do they have to wait ~10 years for the next promotion to O-4?

              http://usmilitary.about.com/od/promo...fficerprom.htm

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: New physician just entering residency with questions

                Polo- I don't know your circumstances, but the usual gig is this:

                If you join immediately after medical school you are direct commissioned into the Guard as an O-3 right away. The logic for this is that you are given credit for four years of medical school, hence O-3. You will make O-4 in 4-5 years after that. Beyond that you'll have to look at the TIG requirements. I'm not thinking that ahead at this point.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: New physician just entering residency with questions

                  Originally posted by notyetdead View Post
                  Polo- I don't know your circumstances, but the usual gig is this:

                  If you join immediately after medical school you are direct commissioned into the Guard as an O-3 right away. The logic for this is that you are given credit for four years of medical school, hence O-3. You will make O-4 in 4-5 years after that. Beyond that you'll have to look at the TIG requirements. I'm not thinking that ahead at this point.
                  Thanks. I don't dispute the rationale for AMEDD DC'ing MDs as an O-3. If they didn't DC as at least an O-3, they wouldn't be able to find enough people willing to serve as doctors.

                  If it is usual to make O-4 4-5 years after that, then this pretty much answers my question in that the minimum time in service may not apply to AMEDD in practice.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X