Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nursing in the Guard?

Hello,

I'm currently a 1LT QM officer, working as my BN's transportation officer in Kuwait.

While I branched QM through my ROTC program, I also received my 4 year BSN (Nursing degree).

I've been contemplating putting my nursing degree to use and doing a branch transfer into the Nursing Corp.

Would anyone have any experience with the Nurse Corp? I live in Pennsylvania...would anyone know if it's feasible to become a Nurse Officer in the Guard?

The reasoning behind my branching QM, after 9 years prior enlisted service, was 1) to be assigned to a unit near my home, for geographical reasons related to travel and 2) Because my understanding was that you can't really do nursing in the Guard. Is this true?

I really appreciate any help/insight anyone can provide....

Re: Nursing in the Guard?

Originally posted by x3xsolxdierx3x View Post
    Hello,

I'm currently a 1LT QM officer, working as my BN's transportation officer in Kuwait.

While I branched QM through my ROTC program, I also received my 4 year BSN (Nursing degree).

I've been contemplating putting my nursing degree to use and doing a branch transfer into the Nursing Corp.

Would anyone have any experience with the Nurse Corp? I live in Pennsylvania...would anyone know if it's feasible to become a Nurse Officer in the Guard?

The reasoning behind my branching QM, after 9 years prior enlisted service, was 1) to be assigned to a unit near my home, for geographical reasons related to travel and 2) Because my understanding was that you can't really do nursing in the Guard. Is this true?

I really appreciate any help/insight anyone can provide....
    There's an AMEDD officer on the forums by the name of rat4spd. I believe he can answer your questions.

I've seen Nurses in the MEDCOM in my state.

Comment

We have nurses in the Guard. We don't have hospitals or clinics, but we do have tactical medical assets. Contact your State AMEDD Recruiter, or Officer Strength Manager to complete the switch (presuming they have a vacancy).

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
        (presuming they have a vacancy).
        OP, this is likely to be your primary hurdle.

Comment

You seem to have everything going for you that a qualified candidate would need to have. You are already a commissioned officer so you have nothing to lose, and you have a BSN already. The big question, as has been pointed out is whether or not there are any vacancies in the state.

LTC Ritchie pointed out where you need to start.

Comment

Working...
          X