Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

will the NG pay for undergraduate and medical school?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will the NG pay for undergraduate and medical school?

Hello i am an E3 about to ship off to basic and ait in March. I have completed an associates degree. my question is will the ng pay for My bachelours degree and medical school? or would i be better to pay for my bachelour degree and have them pay for medical school? basicaly i would like to know my options thanks.

Re: will the NG pay for undergraduate and medical school?

Originally posted by gfm2006 View Post
    Hello i am an E3 about to ship off to basic and ait in March. I have completed an associates degree. my question is will the ng pay for My bachelours degree and medical school? or would i be better to pay for my bachelour degree and have them pay for medical school? basicaly i would like to know my options thanks.
    First, if you really want to be a MD please start with some basic grammer and typing skills, like how to use the shift key.

Second, please name your state. Education benefits are significantly different from state to state.

Third, You don't just go to medical school. You study, apply, and pray.

Comment

No worries mate. I live in wisconsin. I am a firefighter paramedic by trade and have helped with lots of casulaties so i am confident i will get in thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by gfm2006 View Post
        No worries mate. I live in wisconsin. I am a firefighter paramedic by trade and have helped with lots of casulaties so i am confident i will get in thanks.
        So, now your question becomes...What are the in depth education benefits avaialble to the Wisconsin Guard. This is what needs answered.

Comment

During the last year of your bachelor's degree, raise this question with your State AMEDD recruiter. She will work with you on the many and constantly-changing programs for those in medical school.

I cannot tell you precisely what you'll get, since there are a dozen factors, and the program guidance changes yearly. I can state in general terms that:
          1. the Guard will not pay for all of medical school (although neither will we require years of service on active duty), and
          2. you have some options, and basically the more service time you commit to, the more money you will get.

Comment

Sorry for joining late. You've been getting some great advice here. A few thoughts to add:
            1. Folks confident they'll get in to medical school are usually ill-informed. Only half of folks who apply end up getting in anywhere. Average GPA is about 3.6 and MCAT is about 32. I don't know if I'd get in applying now.
            2. Take the GI Bill when you can. The BAH is the same regardless and the GI Bill pays out at the level of your state's public undergrad tuition, which is $10-$30k/year less than what you'll be paying for medical school. Some states have additional matching, but you have no idea what state you'll be heading to medical school in if you get in. See #1.
            3. Do a google search for MDSSP. This is the only permanent stipend-program designed for medical students. More may come and go and you should check in the next few years when you apply to medical school, but this one is always around. Short version: you incur about 1 year of service for every 6 months of a stipend of $2K/month.
            4. Be careful not to assume the EMS thing has more cache when you apply to medical school than it does. Roughly half the folks who apply to medical school with an EMS background write an admission essay we call "Sirens Screaming in the Night." It's great to have had that experience (and military experience is great too), but they really want to know about why you want to be a doctor, not how first aid in the field will make you a better one.

Best of luck in the long process. Your military background will help set you apart from most of your fellow applicants.

Comment

Working...
            X