Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Career Path Decisions (AMEDD/Infantry)

OK, a quick synapse on me. I was enlisted for 4-years (Infantry) and got out, went to nursing school and now attempting to get back in using the officer route. I am currently in the process of going the AMEDD route and joining the Army Nurse Corp since that is my chosen civilian career but can't help from wanting to go back into the Infantry. My question is, in the long term, which would be a better route to pursue? Obviously the initial contract will be better going through AMEDD (sign on bonus, retention pay, loan repayment etc), but will it be as fruitful in say 10-15years? Which route will have a higher potential for promotion into the higher ranks? Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Re: Career Path Decisions (AMEDD/Infantry)

You've posed the question entirely wrong. Where do you have the most to offer? Where can you do the most good? I'd rather have you as an excellent nurse than a mediocre Infantryman (and vice versa).

AMEDD is a smaller field, and that can work for or against you. You could get stuck behind senior people, waiting in line for years for that one O6 slot ... or they could all retire at once, and you get promoted early. There's no way to tell. While Infantry would give you access to more O6 slots, you'll also have more competition. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to predict this. Therefore, concentrate on being the best you can be, and see where it takes you.

Comment

Another thing to consider is the fact that the initial time commitment is very different. ANC is a direct commission into the AMEDD based on your civilian education. Prior service is essentially inconsequential. So, once your packet goes forward and you recieve your AMEDD Fedrec and commission you attend a short 22 day "BOLC" down at Fort Sam Houston and you're done until your CCC. To become an infantry officer your bachellors degree would only suffice as the education requirement and you would still require a comissioning source (OCS, ROTC) and a much longer basic branch IBOLC. So instead of 3 weeks of full time commitment , you really have 5-6 months. (OCS + IBOLC). Of course, you are right, you also loose all the cushy bonus opportunites with the ANC. IF you choose the ANC direct commission, you will not be able to later change to a basic branch. Well, not without starting at almost ground zero again. IF you started out Infantry, you COULD re-branch ANC...but there are credible time in grade reductions that are outlined in the AR you should be aware of. Your commissioned time in service/grade is halfed when you take the direct ANC commission. In some cases this can mean a demotion, or at least a considerably longer wait to make 1LT/CPT ect. Final thought...I served 6 years with a MEDCOM...No offense is intended, but the Nurse Corps, particularly in the Guard where we have no CSHs etc, can be a pretty self limiting position. The benefits are certainly better, and it is an "easier" route, but you also have to remember you won't be leading troops. It's up to you. Both have pros and cons. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by matthew.ritchie View Post
        You've posed the question entirely wrong. Where do you have the most to offer? Where can you do the most good? I'd rather have you as an excellent nurse than a mediocre Infantryman (and vice versa).

AMEDD is a smaller field, and that can work for or against you. You could get stuck behind senior people, waiting in line for years for that one O6 slot ... or they could all retire at once, and you get promoted early. There's no way to tell. While Infantry would give you access to more O6 slots, you'll also have more competition. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to predict this. Therefore, concentrate on being the best you can be, and see where it takes you.
        Are AMEDD officers promoted in accordance with the "time in service" requirement as basic branch officers? For example, if someone direct commissions as an O-3 with no prior service, do they have to wait ~10 years for the next promotion to O-4?

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/promo...fficerprom.htm

Originally posted by Mongoose772 View Post
        Another thing to consider is the fact that the initial time commitment is very different. ANC is a direct commission into the AMEDD based on your civilian education. Prior service is essentially inconsequential. So, once your packet goes forward and you recieve your AMEDD Fedrec and commission you attend a short 22 day "BOLC" down at Fort Sam Houston and you're done until your CCC. To become an infantry officer your bachellors degree would only suffice as the education requirement and you would still require a comissioning source (OCS, ROTC) and a much longer basic branch IBOLC. So instead of 3 weeks of full time commitment , you really have 5-6 months. (OCS + IBOLC). Of course, you are right, you also loose all the cushy bonus opportunites with the ANC. IF you choose the ANC direct commission, you will not be able to later change to a basic branch. Well, not without starting at almost ground zero again. IF you started out Infantry, you COULD re-branch ANC...but there are credible time in grade reductions that are outlined in the AR you should be aware of. Your commissioned time in service/grade is halfed when you take the direct ANC commission. In some cases this can mean a demotion, or at least a considerably longer wait to make 1LT/CPT ect. Final thought...I served 6 years with a MEDCOM...No offense is intended, but the Nurse Corps, particularly in the Guard where we have no CSHs etc, can be a pretty self limiting position. The benefits are certainly better, and it is an "easier" route, but you also have to remember you won't be leading troops. It's up to you. Both have pros and cons. Good luck
        Perhaps someone can minimize the impact, if they re-branched very shortly after they were promoted to 1LT. However, it would be hard to get an Infantry Company Command which is a valuable experience.

Comment

Working...
        X