X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPAP Info

Looking to see if anyone has any real experience with the IPAP program. I wanted to know what the hours are like during the didactic phase (i.e. 0800-1600 Mon-Fri, etc). I am attempting to plan my schedule appropriately and need to know how much down time I will have while in school. Any info is much appreciated.

Re: IPAP Info

I have no direct experience with IPAP. The vibe I received from those who did have such experience was that IPAP is a non-stop, full-throttle cram session. You won't have much free time. They even recommended not to bring your family, because you won't see them anyway, because you'll either be studying or in class.

Comment

I have a year of IPAP experience, but have failed. I can tell you what Phase I is, or was like, from my experience. Just so that I'm not completely discredited for this post, my failure was a cumulative score failure by three questions out of the 1650 tested over the four month trimester. Note that the standard for each class and exam is 75% with a cumulative score of 80% to move on to the next trimester, however previous trimester scores do not carry over. So i was dismissed from Phase I with a 79.85% cumulative score the last day of my junior trimester.

The program has changed since I was in (I was kicked out May '11). The following classes had an extra four months or so added onto their phase i which gave them 4 semesters instead of 3 trimesters. the work load remained relatively the same with the credit hours earned, but the hours in classes were dramatically different. We had class from 0700-1700 with a one hour break for lunch and 10 min break every 50 min class period five days a week. The new set up is more like 0900-1500 five days a week. that amount of time might seem insignificant but it is for those with families or those that need the next time to study, that time is invaluable. unfortunately it seemed that a lot of students didn't take advantage of this time, but many of them got recycles for a second chance.

the program is do-able, but being in the national guard you are already at a disadvantage. it's an active duty school, and while the students or teachers won't care that you're NG, but higher staff will no support you at all. So if you were to ever need another chance, don't expect it. the NG liason is awesome, but it's only a CPT and COL that'll be fighting against 2-3 COL's. the lack of care for the student expands to the instructors, but not for every class. some really care and are excellent teachers. however, teaching is a skill and many people do not possess it. so when the army decides that a PA needs a break from a deployment or whatever they through them in ft. sam to teach and treat patients. some of them don't pre-read the power points their briefing, not even once! some of them don't even know what they're talking about.

Any criticism about the program falls on deaf ears. there is a survey and open forum at the end of the program and one of the COL's get's defensive and ultimately doesn't make any changes. as far as we were concerned, they were more interested in their own careers that had pretty much peaked instead of helping the new careers of future PA's. If their stats were going to suffer, they wanted nothing to do with you. hence my dismissal.

good luck. again, most make it. but understand that it's a good OPPORTUNITY, not necessarily a good PROGRAM. uncle sam will get his out of you, so it's not free either.

Comment

I'm currently in IPAP, and yes it is a very fast paced program. My husband is here with me and we manage date night every Friday night, but thats kinda it (no kids). But there are lots of people who have their entire family here and they do just fine. Check out the new website for updated info. http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/ipap/ The professors go to bat for you at the ARC (the board that decides to keep you when you fail or let you go), and it doesn't matter to them if you are guard or active. Your state however, must agree to fund you even if the school wants to keep you. Every school has professors that are not great presenters and this school is no different. But the all of the professors try their hardest, stay late, and come in early just to help you. Really, its all about how you learn and how much you work. The program is great, you learn a lot and a lot is expected of you. Good luck!

Comment

oh and class is 0800-1700 Mon-Fri (sometimes we get out early or go in late), 0700 on test days, 1 hour lunch with a prep hour thrown in sometimes

Comment

Kind of obvious question, but what kind of grades are needed to be competitive for the IPAP program? I have a History degree with almost 30 hours of Biology/Chemistry courses (I was a prior nursing major). I averaged a 3.0 within those courses. My OSM is pushing me towards applying, and I know it wont hurt to apply, but I want to be realistic with my chances.

Comment

I agree with this idea:"The following classes had an extra four months or so added onto their phase i which gave them 4 semesters instead of 3 trimesters. the work load remained relatively the same with the credit hours earned, but the hours in classes were dramatically different. We had class from 0700-1700 with a one hour break for lunch and 10 min break every 50 min class period five days a week. The new set up is more like 0900-1500 five days a week."

Comment

Working...
              X