X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 72D - Environmental Science Officer

jburnham77, So What have they been doing with you? I have been looking myself and I have noticed that every state has different needs and responsibilities. I actually saw that the guard units in some states adjacent to mine have missions that are more pollution control based. Sorry this isn't and answer t your question but I figure Id take the time to ask. Can I PM you?

Comment

jburnham77: Holy cow, you managed to pry a huge amount of money out of them. You will learn a lot in 6A-F5. Message me an email address. I'll send you the welcome packets and anything else I can find. As far as preps:

1) Have your unit put in for advanced per diem. You WILL be put into a Marriott extended stay hotel which YOU will have to pay for, every 30 days. If you have a credit card you can smack about 6G on, then don't worry about it. You will get full per diem on weekends, and partial on weekdays. It's still a boat load of money.

2) The active duty course doesn't get too many RC Soldiers, so their welcome packet isn't geared for you....totally. There will be some AD gobbledegook you won't understand like sending in a fund-cite letter (not applicable)

3) Get certified transcripts from all your colleges and have them forwarded to the occupational health nurse at AMEDD. There is a Texas A&M app you may wish to fill out, if you qualify. The AD people are kind enough to be accredited Adjuncts through the Texas A&M environmental school. You will get 12 hours of graduate credit if you pursue this....free for you.

4) Don't do the online training which is required in the welcome packet....unless it specifically says ESO's....it's meant for the Docs, nurses and PA's.

5) You need rudimentary field gear. There are only three days in the field. You'll go through CIF to get what you need.

6) Take a laptop, a wireless network card/router....Laptop, printer, and all the office supplies you can think of.

7) Learn to love working in groups of 8 people, usually higher ranking, that don't want to do much. Most of the course is group work......you'll learn to hate it.

8) Make sure your units gets your orders in for pay.....

9) see number 8.

10) This is important.......DO NOT FORGET THIS!!!!!!!!!! Take your orders to an ID card station. YOU MUST have your orders input into the system to get Tri-Care (for you and/or dependents). If you do not, and you need to see any physician, i.e.. dental.......you will be out of luck, and spending time in the ER at SAMC. That will be the only place that will treat you.

I'll message you my email. If you PM me, I won't see it. I don't get on here often anymore

Dave

Comment

Just a couple more notes. Don't worry about what you do or do not know about being an ESO. You will have a mix of AD CPT's, MAJ's and 2LT's fresh out of BOLC.

It's a stretch but ask for funding to pest applicator school. Your 68S is supposed to be certified and recert every three years. Depending on how you interpret the DOD instruction, you need it as well. My unit pushed me for it. The reason I mention is the AD have streamlined their schools for new 72D. They do BOLC, immediately go to pest management, then right into 6A-F5. You will find the new 72D's there on AD will have finished that school the Friday before 6A-F5 (Look at ATTRS)

You will complete a school within a school, but will only get ATTRS credit for 6A-F5. You will complete Basic Industrial Hygiene and get a certificate for doing so.

Do not fly! Do not fly! Drive! You will need that car. They will run a bus from the hotel but I can almost guarantee it will only be for the first day. You don't want to be the one always looking for a ride.

Dave

Comment

EasternShoreman:

As you have noticed in the thread - my unit took me in not really knowing what to do with me. They told me they had not had my slot filled with an actual 72D in over 10yrs - ha! I think they used it to backfill with nurses. I am attached to a MED CMD unit (which used to be with the JFHQ, now it attached to a Troop CMD). B/c of this, I don't get to use my field craft much. I guess I am one of the lucky ones with a good unit. When I first got there, the Docs, PAs, Nurses, MSC officers, and my Readiness and Training NCOs took me in and directed me appropriately since I was non-prior. I have been able to make contact with other 72Ds (AD and Reserve) and my unit has allowed me to explain how I can benefit the state. They have been fully supportive of any training that would help advance me or benefit the unit. MSC officers have helped me understand how I will be used as I advance and when I am not working in the field. I was not able to talk my unit into the BOLC course for AD, but it seems that AD course benefits 70H and 70Bs more. I have been able to brush up on other topics as needed. So back to your question what have I been doing? Ha! Well, I have been used as a traffic controller for the PHAs / SRPs (weed out soldiers and officers that have not completed stations or paperwork before they get to the Docs/Pas/Nurses), worked on the PAD as a 70 series, certified Water Buffalos, tasked with completing duties from the XO, S1 for Officers in the unit, and researching my AOC. I have been working on many things that do not fall in my AOC, but they do broaden my knowledge base for the future.

We did have another 72D in the state attached to a Cavalry Unit, but he has since transferred out. I wish I would have been able to split drill with him heard he was excellent at what he did.

My state has tasked me recently with teaching courses to other units in the state. I think this helped me obtain the AD slot for 6A-F5. I contacted a LTC with the Environmental Health Branch at FSH. I explained my situation. He explained to me what the ideal situation would be and also the bare bones. I used that information to justify my case to attend the AD 6A-F5 course to my XO and my Training NCO. They, in turn, went to bat for me with the state and NGB. Now I will bust my butt to get the most out of the course I can and show my appreciation to my XO and NCO.

Comment

EasternShoreman:

you can PM me...but I don't get on enough lately....if you use the send me an email link...that might be better...

Comment

Your state would eventually have to send you, as there is an NGB memo explaining that 6A-F5 is required to promote to Major. I had one MAJ from the AR in an LTC slot needing the 1059 to get his promotion orders cut as well as half dozen CPT's in the same situation. The reserve course is, well, a real pain in the behind. But either way, it is required eventually. The sooner the better.

Comment

Yes, sir.

That is what the LTC with the Environmental Health Branch told me. I just figured I was lucky to get in as a 2LT in the NG.

Originally posted by rat4spd View Post
                Your state would eventually have to send you, as there is an NGB memo explaining that 6A-F5 is required to promote to Major. I had one MAJ from the AR in an LTC slot needing the 1059 to get his promotion orders cut as well as half dozen CPT's in the same situation. The reserve course is, well, a real pain in the behind. But either way, it is required eventually. The sooner the better.

Comment

Working...
                X