Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 72D - Environmental Science Officer

tcyr:
    Appreciate the info. I will have questions for you in the future, especially on the CSTs. As for now, I am just waiting for the 07 Feb. board.

Comment

PCTN:
      I am going to assume you are the 72D in Knoxville (based out of VA)? That's a long drive. If so, care if I ask a few questions?

Comment

Tcyr: Please send me your information so we can discuss further. I need to figure out the proper way to wear the ACU. Where you on active duty when you commissioned into your 72D slot? or did you join after your contract was up?

PCTN: Do you have a full time civilian job or do you work full time for the Guard?

Comment

iObserve- I am a Navy Civilian Full time, traditional Guardsman. Google ACU regs, and the ARMY reg will come up.

jburnham- I gave CPT W permission to give you my contact info.

Comment

Congrats on filling the AGR position. I'm currently the ESO for the 45th IBCT (OKARNG) in Afghanistan, looking at the CST option for when I return. It looks like a fantastic opportunity. Do you enjoy the job?

Comment

I went to the active duty component BOLC...yes, depends on your command. My commander insisted on it.

Comment

@ genisecarp; Please send me your e-mail in a private message. I want to ask you some questions. Thanks.

Comment

iOserve, I have sent you a PM.

Comment

Afternoon everyone:

I have just commissioned 2LT and attended my 1st drill this past weekend. It was very exciting! Can’t wait for the next drill. I am non-prior service. I have been talking with my NG unit about attending BOLC/OBC for 72D67C. What are the different options?
                    I know there is a 3-4 week course (phase II) with a correspondence course (phase I). Will this course give me everything I need to know or does it give you the basics? Since I do not have prior service, will this course be the best option for me?
                    I have heard people talk about longer courses (7 weeks, 8 weeks, 9 weeks, and 14 weeks). What are the differences in these courses? I have heard the 7 week course is geared more towards the 70Bs/70Hs.
                    Is there a course that is geared towards the 72D series?
                    Or is it up us to gain the knowledge year round during drill and AT?
                    Are we able to attend seminars/courses at Ft. Sam Houston or around the country to stay up to date?
                    I think noticed someone stated their NG unit sent them to the Active Duty course. Was this beneficial? Will a NG unit normally do this if the new 2LT is non-prior service?
                    I would appreciate any and all answers. Thanks in advance.

Comment

There are two options for you. RC-OBLC, AKA the short course at 4 weeks long, and the 9 week "long" course. You can attend either. I emphatically recommend the long course. All ARNG members can attend either, except 70B, and 67J which must attend the long course. Whichever you choose, you will still be spending your three weeks field time with all of the active duty, and RC-70B's. The long course will give you more leadership responsibilities, and opportunities, as well as **** (<---- Really, K.ILL is starred out?) you with power point on how the Army works. Good luck either way.

Make sure you stay on your unit about scheduling OBLC, or BOLC as it is now called. You really need to get it done as soon as you can. Oh, and don't be surprised if the long course is not an option for you. Money is a problem these days. And while you are at it, for the following training year that you go to BOLC, start begging for 6A-F5, preferably the active duty course. Start asking now. You will want, and possibly need this course to make Major (even though you technically don't) but it will give you VAST amounts of 72D specific training. Again, start asking for this school now, even if it takes two years to get into it.

Message me if you want info on this course.
                      Last edited by rat4spd; May 8th, 2012, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Hello everyone,

I, recently, got selected as 2LT Environmental Science Officer with NM National Guard. I have not taken oath of the office but it will happen soon.
                        Thank you everyone in this forum for their knowledge sharing which helped me a lot in the application process.

Thanks

Comment

Hello rat4spd,
                          Just got selected as 2LT 72D and don't have lot of knowledge on whole military stuff but I am eager to learn.
                          Could you explain me more clearly about these school thing, 6A-F5. I would like to have more training on 72D specifics. How do you ask for the course? I want to take all the experiences here and plan the best route in the training process to maximize my learning opportunities.

Originally posted by rat4spd View Post
                          There are two options for you. RC-OBLC, AKA the short course at 4 weeks long, and the 9 week "long" course. You can attend either. I emphatically recommend the long course. All ARNG members can attend either, except 70B, and 67J which must attend the long course. Whichever you choose, you will still be spending your three weeks field time with all of the active duty, and RC-70B's. The long course will give you more leadership responsibilities, and opportunities, as well as **** (<---- Really, K.ILL is starred out?) you with power point on how the Army works. Good luck either way.

Make sure you stay on your unit about scheduling OBLC, or BOLC as it is now called. You really need to get it done as soon as you can. Oh, and don't be surprised if the long course is not an option for you. Money is a problem these days. And while you are at it, for the following training year that you go to BOLC, start begging for 6A-F5, preferably the active duty course. Start asking now. You will want, and possibly need this course to make Major (even though you technically don't) but it will give you VAST amounts of 72D specific training. Again, start asking for this school now, even if it takes two years to get into it.

Message me if you want info on this course.

Comment

indradahal: You will find that more than likely, you will be somewhat of a misunderstood asset. There are not a lot of active duty 72D's, an there are even less reserve 72D's. Unfortunately, your unit, depending on what that is, may not really know what to make of you, or your training/promotion requirements. You were commissioned by virtue of your history of knowledge and work experience as it can be put to use as a 72D. In translation, that means..."You are hereby put into a slot that no one knows much about, without any further required Army training and are expected to cross your skills over to the Army when there is no real comparative civilian equivalent."

The Active duty 72D's get a follow on two weeks of "72D (hereby referred to as AOC)" training. You get nothing. OBLC....and home. 6A-F5 is called "Principle of Military Preventive Medicine." It is what should be considered the 72D AOC qualification course. I got lucky and they funded me for the 9 week active duty course. As for asking, you utilize your chain of command and push it up through the training NCO. Money is scarce now, and they may (probably) say no.

Comment

Thanks rat4spd.
                              I will try and talk to the training NCO and see my options. I would definitely would like to go for the long one. Lets see what happens.

Comment

rat4spd:
                                (and anyone else with an answer):
                                You were not joking when you said not many people know what to do with us. My unit has been pretty good though. The training NCO found a way to get me into the 9 week 6A-F5 course. Is there anything I can review to prep for the course? Or is there an expected base knowledge I should brush-up on before I go to TX?
                                Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X