X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 72D - Environmental Science Officer

Thanks PCTN. I go to the board next Thursday for approval. Tommyp I previously answered your question but I will answer it again. I have a bachelor's in Allied Health science with a minor in chemistry and a master's degree in Industrial Hygiene. Are you a 72D Tommyp? and what's your educational background.

Comment

The role of a 72D is more or less a Jack of all trades regarding personnel safety and health, and whatever else any other junior officer gets thrown their way. Whatever you expect, it will probably not be. Also, enlisted personnel have MOS's. 72D is an AOC.

Comment

You might want to also look into your states CST (Civil Support Team) program. It is an AGR program that specializes in weapons of mass destruction response and identification. The NMSO (Nuclear Medicine Science Officer) slot is available to a couple of different AOCs, 72D being one of them. I just commissioned as a 72D in the Vermont National Guard. I am AGR and I am the Science Officer for the team. We have a mobile laboratory with 3.5 million dollars worth of equipment including GC/MS, M1M (basically ELISA), real time PCR, polarized light/fluorescence microscopy, and a class 3 glovebox. Its a great program and lots of growth and experience potential!

iObserve...have you had your USAREC board yet?? (Thats the board that you have to submit the awful 42 page life history for and all your transcripts etc.) There is a predetermination that happens before that board and they tell you what rank you will come in as. (You may already know this, so if this is old news, I apologize) I have a Masters degree in Biotechnology with a Biodefense concentration from Johns Hopkins and a bachelors degree in Applied Biology. I have 6 months of lab experience working in a biosafety level 3 lab with anthrax, plague, and other pathogenic bacteria. I also have 4-5 years of Emergency Medical Services experience. Despite all of that, I commissioned as a 2LT. (I just commissioned in December 2011). Also, when you go to your state board (also called the temporary fed rec board) it is more of a formality. The federal government has already deemed you qualified for a commission at the USAREC board. Because the National Guard has a state mission, they have to get their say too. This is the purpose of the temp fed rec board. While it is just a formality, you do still want to take it seriously. For my board they asked what my future goals were and how I was going to develop as an army officer etc.

Good luck with your board. I will check back frequently for any questions you or anyone might have for me.

-2LT Cyr
        Science Officer, 15th CST (WMD)

Comment

2LT Cyr, consider your situation to be a very extreme exception. Getting an AGR slot is difficult enough for current Guard members, let alone commissioning into an AGR slot on the CST. I've never heard of that happening, but your state had the need and they found a way to fill it. I've also never heard of a delta filling an alpha slot either but congratulations on your commission.

A good friend of mine is a former member of the New Mexico CST. He's an alpha and consults with the Guard on training CST's. Maybe you'll meet him someday.

Comment

I do consider my position to be an exception and consider myself to be very lucky. Because of the shortage of alphas in the guard and even those qualified to fill an alpha slot in the general population, there are additional AOCs that are acceptable to fill that slot. According to NGR 500-3 (the regulation governing the CST), the science officer slot can be filled by 72A, 72B, 72D, and 72E.

The former science officer on my team (also a 72D) came into his slot off the street, so it can be done if you have the credentials and experience to do so. Thanks for the congratulations!

Comment

Thanks for alerting me to that. I found the table you were referring to, and it does state that it's based on challenges of recruiting. I found it odd though that given the pub date of May 2011, and this is totally irrelevant, that they have still included the 72E AOC, as it no longer exists. All 72E's were re-designated as 72DN4, in the AMEDD book that is. Good luck with the training. You have a lot of it ahead of you.

Comment

tcyr,

I was boarded and selected by the USAREC board. The gaining unit endorsed my 62E to be commission as a 1LT. I go before the Fed Rec board in two days- I am very nervous. I hope everything goes well. It's about 3 hrs to the board location so it would be a very disappointing drive back home with the family if I happen to be denied. Do you have any advice for me?

We should definitely keep in touch as I stand to learn a lot from your experience thus far. Who knows, we may end up in the same OBLC class.

How long did it take you to get your military I.D after commissioning? and were you commissioned right after your fed rec board?

Comment

Be natural at the Fed-Rec board. You'll do fine.

Comment

Hi iObserve,

Im gonna second what rat4spd said. Just be yourself and you will be fine. Like I said earlier...the state board is more of a formality than anything else. I went into my board, it took maybe 15 minutes of questions and such. Mostly questions about my goals as an MSC officer and career progression. After my board was complete, I left the room for the board to talk. 5 or so minutes later they called me back in for an informal session. Here they told me that they were strongly recommending me for commission and gave me advice on career progression and such. Then after that, I left the room and my AMEDD manager took me to a flag, found an officer and read me my oath of office. At that point, I was technically an officer. Being that I was prior service, I wanted to have a ceremony with my unit, so I wore my old rank for close to a month until I had a ceremony and got pinned on.

As far as your ID goes, you could possibly get it the same day, depending on how your state works. Your packet does need to go to personnel after the board so they can cut orders for you. I am going to BOLC Feb. 16th, and I am doing the 3 week short course. It is my recommendation (and purely my opinion only) that you do the full 8 week course for the simple fact that you are not prior service and the 8 week course does a better job of preparing you for your military career. I am full time, so I have time constraints from my unit. Besides, San Antonio is a very fun place to be!

Check your private messages. I sent you my contact information and would be happy to help you out as much as you need/want.

Comment

tcyr,

I was commissioned as a 2LT today. No 1LT for me :-(, I can't complain though- I'm super excited and thanks for the advice! Feels good to be a 72D, now I have to work diligently towards deploying ASAP. I would love to go for the 8 weeks course but I think that depends on my gaining unit. I don't think I have a say in that as they provide the funds to send me to OBLC...correct?

Comment

Congratulations iObserve, 2LT!

Do you know what unit you are being assigned to?

Comment

Congrats to everyone on their commissioning. I'm still waiting to hear something on my end. I'm guessing TN boards are still running through today.

I reading through the posts, and the CST looks to something great to shoot for in the future. Does every state have a team, or are the teams regional?

Comment

@ PCTN: Thank you so much. I will go to get my Va ANG military I.D on Monday. I am assigned to the C co 429th. Now next hurdle is to get a full time job around that area, hopefully I find something soon.

@ tcyr: I am prior service. I am in the Air Force. Well for now.

Comment

Ah, brigade ESO, Charlie Med, BSB.

Comment

iObserve...no kidding! I was prior service air force as well. I was TMO. Went from A1C to 2LT.

jburnham77...yes, every state has one. The TN CST is based in Smyrna. I interviewed for a job with their CST as well. I know the commander and the operations officer over there. I sent you my contact info in a private message.

Comment

Working...
                                X