Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 72D - Environmental Science Officer

Hey guys:
    Does anyone have any good info on this MOS?
    Or does anyone know where I can obtain solid info about the field and continuing education? I am having a hard time getting info from recruiters and officers already in the field. Sounds as if the MOS is not used much. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: 72D - Environmental Science Officer

First thing I would worry about if I were you is if the MOS is even available in your state, if it isn't I doesn't much matter what its like. Secondly my answer would be google is your friend. I know this isn't the kind of info you were looking for but its the best advise I can give you.

Comment

It is very rare. Your state may not even have a slot. For best guidance, find DA Pam 600-4, and find the section on that specialty. In addition, talk with your State's AMEDD recruiter.

Comment

FireRescue and matthew.ritchie :

appreciate the info....as for google....the descriptions are all over the place (as in not consistant) depending on Army Active, Reserve, or NG. My state does have slots...I went to board Nov. 01....still have not heard results...not sure why. I have spoken with AMEDD - no definite answers. I am beginning to think this is going to be a "make my own" MOS. I have seen the 600-4 - it still seems kind of general. I appreciate the help.....if you can think of anything else, let me know.

Comment

Is there a way to make contact with other 72D s?

Comment

jburnham77; what do you need to know? I am set to go before a federal recognition board next month to be approved as a 72D. I'll help as much as I can.

Comment

iObserve :

Is this a new MOS for you or do you have prior experience in military/civilian?
              How long has your packet taken from the time you contacted the recruiter till this upcoming board?
              What has your recruiter told you about the MOS; what will you be doing?
              Will this actually be your MOS or are you slotting this MOS because your actual MOS has overflow?
              What are the opportunities for furthering education/training?
              Where are you going to be slotted?
              Is there a current 72D where you are slotted? 1LT, CPT, MAJ, LtCol that you can train under/ask questions?

I apologize for "shotgunning" you with questions. I'm sure you can tell by the type of questions that the information that I have received is a little garbled and general.
              Best of luck with the board and I appreciate any and all information.
              Burnham

Comment

Burnham,

Never apologize for being inquisitive ☺. I will be more than happy to answer your questions to the best of my ability, here goes...

Is this a new MOS for you or do you have prior experience in military/civilian?

I have a biomedical sciences master's degree in Industrial Hygiene (fancy way of saying a degree that encompasses public health, safety and health and a little engineering in my opinion). I worked in the field part time at my school for about three years while I pursued my master's degree. My experience includes areas like hazardous waste disposal, indoor air quality, noise exposure, mold exposure, lead exposure, occupational health and safety, and a nanoparticle thesis.

How long has your packet taken from the time you contacted the recruiter till this upcoming board?

I started the process in August 2011 I believe, should commission on 26th Jan 2012 by the grace of God.

What has your recruiter told you about the MOS; what will you be doing?

I really haven't asked my recruiter much about what the 72D AOC entails because that's not his job. The onus is on you to find out more as the professional. The AOC is a specialty so you have to possess a certain skill set to meet the requirements (i.e prior work in the field or educational background). If you don't meet that set standard then your recruiter will not board you. It depends on my gaining unit as per what I'll be doing, every unit has a specific mission and my preliminary assessment is that a 72D will fit into that mission from a safety standpoint. As you may already know, a 72D can do a plethora of things because the field is so diverse.

Will this actually be your MOS or are you slotting this MOS because your actual MOS has overflow?

Again this is a specialty so this is what I will be doing. In a deployed setting for example, I will most likely have to fit into the mission of my unit. I may be training enlisted soldiers in the same field on subjects ranging from "water safety" to "occupational hazards" or I could be "sampling lead" or sampling something else or supervising such activities.

What are the opportunities for furthering education/training?

There are a ton of opportunities in the field to further your education. I have a goal to get a PhD within the next 5 years but I am looking for the perfect fit program wise for me so I can improve soldiers’ lives down range. I bet the Army would be supportive of my goal.

Where are you going to be slotted?

I am joining the VA army national guard. I love the military and Virginia is family friendly...hopefully I get deployed ASAP so I can get out to Afghanistan and help.

Is there a current 72D where you are slotted? 1LT, CPT, MAJ, LtCol that you can train under/ask questions?

I am commissioning as a 1LT, but I am not sure if there are other 72D's. If not, I will definitely seek advice on how to better myself for my troops from the incumbent, my graduate program instructors with a wealth of experience and others around.

I will let you know how the board goes but feel free to ask more questions. I am willing to keep helping you even after I commission because helping people is the most rewarding thing in the world ☺. Take care.

Comment

iObserve:

Appreciate the information. Nice background. I am working towards a MS in Emergency and Disaster Management. I hope that fits the needs of the Army. Like you, I am eager to deploy and put the MOS to work overseas. I am just south of you in TN; who knows, we may do some work together. My package seems to be right in line with yours time wise. I think I am due for Federal this month. Do all 72Ds Direct Commission as a 1LT? Or does it depend on your background? 2LT, 1LT or CPT?
                  Burnham

Comment

To my understanding, rank depends on education and job experience. A bachelor's degree equates to a 2LT. Master's; 1LT. PhD; CPT. My guess is that you will commission as a 2LT, good luck.

Comment

I am a 72D in TNARNG, and I live in Virginia, how ironic lol! I commishioned as a LT in June 2011 and have performed quite a variety of duties. It all depends on what kind of unit you are assigned to. If you are assigned to a Med command, it will be mostly teaching/lab/hospital type setting. I am in a Med Company of a Cavalry Regiment. Our operations are field based. I have tested water supplies in the field, evaluated force protection threats (from an environmental aspect), taught land-nav courses (class room and field course), served as regimental advanced party to host installation during hurricane mobilization. In a combat arms unit you can do a lot more. I prefer to be out with the soldiers anyway. You will get to practice your craft more when you deploy, and at AT. I have small ammounts of micro equipment at my disposal (incubator, agars) when down range. Do you know what unit you are being slotted for?

Comment

PCTN,

Can you share your board experience with me? what questions did they ask you? what happened when you were approved? Did they give you paperwork stating you were a commissioned officer right after the board concluded? and what rank did you commission as? What's your job title for the TNARNG? Lastly, what was your educational and job experience going into the board? Did you attend BOLC yet? How long was it? I know it's a ton of questions but I would really appreciate the information. We should stay in touch as well if you don't mind, I can learn a lot from your experience.

Comment

Iobserve can u tell me what your b.s degree is in and your profesional experience. Have you been to any boards yet

Comment

iObserve,
                            I commissioned as a 1LT with a BS in Biology w/ Chemistry minor and 2 years as a DOD civilian scientist. Without the work credit, would have been 2LT. BOLC is 24 days at FT. Sam Houston in San Antonio TX. You will have to take an online phase prior to attending. I was a prior enlisted NCO. I did not attend any in-person boards, mine were all paper. It took a few months (strength manager has to get all packet components to each board by date for review). My job title is 72D of my Company.

Comment

Thanks PCTN. I go to the board next Thursday for approval. Tommyp I previously answered your questions but I will answer it again. I have a bachelor's in Allied Health science with a minor in chemistry and a master's degree in Industrial Hygiene. Are you a 72D Tommyp? and what's your educational background.

Comment

Working...
                              X