X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LRS question

SFHunter this has nothing to do with your quote,but I would like to have more info on LRS,I really would like to go ranger national guard (if that exist) and need to know how to go about it (once again if it exist),thanks....

The Army National Guard does not have “true” Ranger units. The only official Ranger unit is the 75th Ranger Regiment with its four battalions with the Active Duty Army. The closest “ranger type” units in the Army National Guard are Long Range Surveillance (LRS) units. LRS units are considered all-volunteer Airborne Infantry units that work in small 6-man teams and the Non-Commissioned Officer (NCO) positions are required to attend and complete Ranger School. They are located throughout the country, but not available in every state. LRS units are not available for direct enlistment. They require application/try-outs from currently serving Guard soldiers.

Comment

Thank you for your reply SF Hunter,and with that said if I was to go the LRS route would I be able to transfer to an active duty ranger battalion at any point?

Comment

Originally posted by Doobiedoob88 View Post
        Thank you for your reply SF Hunter,and with that said if I was to go the LRS route would I be able to transfer to an active duty ranger battalion at any point?
        No. LRS and 75th Ranger Regiment are not one and the same. Plus, you cannot simply transfer from one Army component to another.
        Last edited by SF Hunter; May 12th, 2014, 01:08 PM.

Comment

If you want active duty Rangers, then you need to pursue enlistment with active duty from the very beginning and try to qualify for an "Option 40" contract.

Comment

Once again thank you for your reply,now if I transfer from the guard to active duty will I have the opportunity to choose where I go like active duty soldiers do when they re-enlist SF Hunter?

Comment

You cannot simply transfer. The Guard, Reserves, and Active Duty components are all different. With very few exceptions (mostly for medical professionals), you'll need to get an approved discharge from the Guard and then separately process for enlistment for Active Duty service.

However, you may request a conditional release from the National Guard. Basically, a conditional release says that the National Guard agrees to release you from the remainder of your commitment, if you are accepted for enlistment or appointment to another service component.

Assuming you can even process for enlistment as a prior service member; see Regular Army business rules: http://www.nationalguard.com/forums/...business-rules

You have little or no say in where you are stationed with active duty Army; it is all Needs of the Army (NotR).
              Last edited by SF Hunter; May 13th, 2014, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X