Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking an Aviation Career: Need advice please

~~~~Situation:
    I served 4+ years as an Infantryman in the Army. I honorably transitioned out of the military OCT/2012 as an E-5, due to personal/family issues. After being involved in numerous combat and training missions involving aviation support, I knew that I wanted to become an aviator.
    I have my bachelor's degree, and am seeking advice on the best way to become an aviator in the National Guard?
    Here are my concerns:
    1. I know at this time I wouldn't be able to pass a flight I physical, I have 20/40 uncorrected vision.
    2. I also don't know any commissioned or warrant aviators to get a LOR.
    3. I also don't have enough TIG as an E-5 to have received 5 NCOERs.
    I am 28 and I know the cut off age is 33 and with the all the downsizing I would just like to know if this goal is realistic or just a shot in the dark?
    If it is possible, then what is the best way to go about achieving this goal?
    I am considering Warrant or Commissioned but am in need of advice as to the best route to meet my goal?
    I have been in contact with a Warrant Strength Manager and his advice is to enlist in a Aviation MOS since the California Guard is over strength on Aviators, but again I am strongly considering the Commission side?
    I understand the term over strength but also know that it will take me time to get my vision corrected and establish a relationship with a aviator in order to get a LOR? So I guess my follow on question would it be better to enlist in an aviation MOS or try to commission and try to go aviation after I have meet all the qualifications?
    Thank you in advance?

Originally posted by mktwise View Post
    ~~~~Situation:
    I served 4+ years as an Infantryman in the Army. I honorably transitioned out of the military OCT/2012 as an E-5, due to personal/family issues. After being involved in numerous combat and training missions involving aviation support, I knew that I wanted to become an aviator.
    I have my bachelor's degree, and am seeking advice on the best way to become an aviator in the National Guard?
    Here are my concerns:
    1. I know at this time I wouldn't be able to pass a flight I physical, I have 20/40 uncorrected vision.
    2. I also don't know any commissioned or warrant aviators to get a LOR.
    3. I also don't have enough TIG as an E-5 to have received 5 NCOERs.
    I am 28 and I know the cut off age is 33 and with the all the downsizing I would just like to know if this goal is realistic or just a shot in the dark?
    If it is possible, then what is the best way to go about achieving this goal?
    I am considering Warrant or Commissioned but am in need of advice as to the best route to meet my goal?
    I have been in contact with a Warrant Strength Manager and his advice is to enlist in a Aviation MOS since the California Guard is over strength on Aviators, but again I am strongly considering the Commission side?
    I understand the term over strength but also know that it will take me time to get my vision corrected and establish a relationship with a aviator in order to get a LOR? So I guess my follow on question would it be better to enlist in an aviation MOS or try to commission and try to go aviation after I have meet all the qualifications?
    Thank you in advance?
    The person you want to get in touch with in addition to the WOSM is the state aviation officer. He also will know the current waiver policies on eye surgery. It used to only be PRK, not lasik, that may have changed. He will have a better picture of aviation slot availability. Being an E-5 is not a pre requisite, although some states make it one.
    Last edited by realitycheck; January 4th, 2014, 02:45 PM.

Comment

How many threads you are going to open with the same question?

Comment

Thank you reality check for info. and advice!

Chief, to be honest with you I figured I would put the question into as many forums that relate to my situation. I didn't know that was a problem for so many. I really just wanted to the best information possible. I apologize two of the three threads I opened have been closed.

Comment

Working...
        X