X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warrant Officer vs Commissioned Officer

I am currently in the process of joining the National Guard. My family and friends all look at me weird when I tell them that I did regular enlisted instead of commissioning. This is because I have a B.S. degree and am taking a break from graduate school (only my thesis left). I do want to be an officer one day but a warrant officer. I was told the commissioned officers are generalized and are not specialized in any one area. This is why I chose warrant officer. I have been to MEPS and started my process. I got a 93 on the ASVAB. I have not signed my contract yet because I am waiting on a medical waiver. Also, I am trying to go 74D. I have seen some sites that show a chemical MOS for warrant officers and some that don't. Is their a chemical MOS for warrant? Another question that I have is if I could do a primary and secondary MOS? I want to eventually move to a CST/WMD Batallion. Once there, I would like to be able to work in one area primarily and another as a secondary. Can anyone offer their thoughts?? Thanks!!!

Re: Warrant Officer vs Commissioned Officer

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/

Just remember most warrant positions require five years in the MOS you are applying for.

Comment

Originally posted by QUICKS
      I am currently in the process of joining the National Guard. My family and friends all look at me weird when I tell them that I did regular enlisted instead of commissioning. This is because I have a B.S. degree and am taking a break from graduate school (only my thesis left). I do want to be an officer one day but a warrant officer. I was told the commissioned officers are generalized and are not specialized in any one area. This is why I chose warrant officer. I have been to MEPS and started my process. I got a 93 on the ASVAB. I have not signed my contract yet because I am waiting on a medical waiver. Also, I am trying to go 74D. I have seen some sites that show a chemical MOS for warrant officers and some that don't. Is their a chemical MOS for warrant? Another question that I have is if I could do a primary and secondary MOS? I want to eventually move to a CST/WMD Batallion. Once there, I would like to be able to work in one area primarily and another as a secondary. Can anyone offer their thoughts?? Thanks!!!
      Have you actually talked to anyone thats a 74D? Im glad your joining the guard and all, but why do you want to do 74D? From everything I've heard that mos just maintains the masks and mop suits of a particular unit. You dont actually go out in the field and there isn't alot to do on the fob. Granted, this is only what ive heard from other people in the guard but, I wouldnt ever want to go 74D.

Comment

Originally posted by crimeguy
        http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/

Just remember most warrant positions require five years in the MOS you are applying for.
        Thanks for the link.

Comment

Originally posted by lifeline
          Have you actually talked to anyone thats a 74D? Im glad your joining the guard and all, but why do you want to do 74D? From everything I've heard that mos just maintains the masks and mop suits of a particular unit. You dont actually go out in the field and there isn't alot to do on the fob. Granted, this is only what ive heard from other people in the guard but, I wouldnt ever want to go 74D.
          I have a recruiter. I orignally wanted to do 31D but he stated the MOS will make others not really trust me because it is CID. He suggested 74D and 68K because of my future plans. I chose 74D because I was told this is the only way that I could get into our state's CST/WMD Battalion, which I would then be Active Guard. Then I would actually go out into the field. I must admit that after doing my research, 68K is looking pretty good right now. The CST/WMD Battalion has an Analytical Lab System (ALS) that I would like to work with. Howver, I am not sure if I could get into the CST/WMD Battalion with that MOS. I also like the idea of the survey team which is where 74D comes in. I would like to find someone on the forum that is a part of a CST/WMD Battalion. I would also like to talk with a 74D, but no luck as of yet. My brother and his girlfriend both stated the 74D's that they knew or know did not like their MOS because of the exact same reasons stated.

Comment

Our NBC guys maintain masks/etc. That takes a few hours a year. They spend more time counting & organizing them. Primarily they assist with supply, act as drivers, and one is my company master driver (supervises vehicle inspections & does driver training).

There is a chemical WO MOS. It is relatively new. It's about maintaining chemical equipment. The chances are pretty low that there will be a slot for this in your state - most states don't have chemical BNs & Bdes.

Going WO does require you to be an E-5 or higher with several years in the MOS including leader time before you can even apply. Those are the minimum requirements. The typical walking WO you'll see has decades of experience in a given field. This is NOT a career path people set out toward when they enlist. The highspeed guy that promotes real fast to E6 or 7 & then faces many years to never being able to promote beyond that, that's the guy that fits well into WOC.

Commissioned versus WO... Yes, WOs are subject matter experts in their field. Again, they normally have decades of experience in that field. Most WO MOS's tend to be in charge of complicated equipment (Artillery, chemical detection, computer networks, etc) or lots of equipment and small teams maintaining that equipment.

Commissioned officers are more like managers straight out of college. They don't have decades of experience in the field. They know a little about a lot of things, but they are not the foremost expert in any individual aspect (nor are they trapped in that individual aspect for their whole career). The are first & foremost in charge of large groups of people & managing those people. They are certainly trained & knowledgeable about the field they work in, and they are the decision makers that lead that field of endeavor. There's also going to be faster career advancement to higher levels and generally more upward mobility.

By that I mean you can start as an officer now versus 6-10 years from now. In 10 years you'd be a senior CPT looking at MAJ, not a WO1 just starting out. There's also many times more positions for commissioned officers in a field than there are WO slots. As a WO, you're going to be trapped in one slot for long periods of time & then have to move elsewhere to promote to another slot where you're going to be stuck forever. And, you'll be working at a lower level than a commissioned officer with the same years as an officer.

I would strongly recommend you reconsider and look at a commissioned officer route. If you insist on enlisting first & serving some time, I think you'll quickly be dissatisfied with that. At that point, you need to look at OCS.

Comment

What state are you in?

Comment

Dnall - Decades of experience? Really? I don't think so.

QUICKS talk to someone in your state (like the unit) before you join. The issue with being a warrant officer is there's not a lot of them. Ie your typical battalion will probably only have the Property Book Officer, Maintenance and maybe a signal officer.

Also, I think you have a misconception as to what commissioned officers do. I really dislike the term "generalized" as there's quite a bit stuff that goes on behind the scenes the most lower enlisted don't see.

Both have pro's and con's to them. I would not encourage you to join solely based on being a warrant officer.

Comment

Originally posted by California Major
                  What state are you in?
                  New Mexico

Comment

RedLeg & dnall - Thanks for the info and sorry if I ruffled so feathers by using the term "generalized." I have not enlisted yet. I am waiting for my medical waiver to come back. Is it too late to change to an officer? I have only done the Medical portion of MEPS.

Comment

Not too late to switch. Talk to your recruiter about an OCS enlistment option (09S)

Redleg:

I've put around 30 people give or take into the WOC program, both AV & tech. There's over 40 of them in this unit, mostly AV but a few walking types too. I work with/talk to WOs from WO1 to CW5 on literally a daily basis. You don't have to agree with me, but there might be some remote chance I have an inkling of what I'm talking about.

To your question though...

Very few tech WOs enter the program at the minimum qualification level. The majority have around 10 years experience on the enlisted side. The walking WOs you see in the force tend not to be fresh out of school. Most have been a WO for some time in addition to their enlisted experience. I know far more CW4s than WO1s. I also know several CW2 & 3s that will hit mandatory retirement in the not so distant future. You want to argue with the word "decades?" Fine, I'll rephrase. "Most walking WOs you will encounter have well over 12-15 years experience in the military, with a large number having 20+ years in."

I say again... enlisting with the intent of becoming a technical WO is a non-starter. That option is for highly experienced and knowledablge highspeed NCOs. Coming off the street, commissioned is the option an applicant needs to look at. AV of course is different.

Comment

I can say that 74Ds in the Guard mostly up being the Supply NCO's errand boy. It's not very fun, and few are happy with their lot in life. You will likely discover the same. I would recommend starting enlisted before commissioning or seeking a WO appointment. The Guard, at least in my state, has its share of ROTC PFC-turned-butter bars and a few 09S's as well. My favorite LTs are all former ROTC, to be fair, but without exception, made it to E-5 before contracting. The enlisted time will do you good,whatever path you choose.

Comment

Originally posted by JBourgeous View Post
                          I can say that 74Ds in the Guard mostly up being the Supply NCO's errand boy. It's not very fun, and few are happy with their lot in life. You will likely discover the same. I would recommend starting enlisted before commissioning or seeking a WO appointment. The Guard, at least in my state, has its share of ROTC PFC-turned-butter bars and a few 09S's as well. My favorite LTs are all former ROTC, to be fair, but without exception, made it to E-5 before contracting. The enlisted time will do you good,whatever path you choose.
                          Whoaaa there...slow down there. This thread is 2 years old. No need to bring back from the dead threads this old just to add some information.

Comment

I am currently in a Chemical Company and have been looking into joining the CST team in my state. At the present time only enlisted members (E5 & up) and commissioned officers are allowed on CST teams. I have also been looking into the chemical warrant officer program and there is no plan to incorporate them into CST teams.

Comment

Working...
                            X