X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issues with weight before BCT

So, I know I'm under 30% body fat (I'm a female, height at 5'2") based off of the body pinching method. But when I'm taped it says I'm at 35%. And my weight is at 141 lbs. I ship out on July 22nd, so this is kind of a big issue right now because I'm scared that I won't ship or even be discharged. And I know I'm physically fit enough for this, and that my true body fat is under, it's just the scale and taping methods that say otherwise. Can anyone give me any advice on this on what will happen or what I can do about it? Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Evy94; July 4th, 2013, 10:28 PM.

Re: Issues with weight before BCT

Well the minimum max weight (since I don't know how old you are) is 136 pounds. I would recommend attempting to get down below your max weight bracket so you do not have to worry about having the tape test done. I don't know what the repercussions would be if you did not make weight or body fat percentage when you get to BCT. If you focus on eating healthy (fruits, veggies, lean meat) and avoid sugar as much as possible as well as do lots of cardio, it should be possible to lose 5+ pounds. Just my thoughts.

Here is the link showing the weight standards.
    http://usarmybasic.com/army-physical...ight-standards

Comment

Do they retape before you ship? If you get there and are over BF, would they really want to send you back?

Comment

I'm 19. But yeah, that's what I'm doing right now. Thank you for the advice, I feel a lot better now. I just had a freak out moment is all. Haha.

Comment

I have no idea. But that's what scared me so much. I really don't want that to happen!

Comment

Originally posted by YANG View Post
            Do they retape before you ship? If you get there and are over BF, would they really want to send you back?
            Yes. You must make the BF% requirements to ship. Unfortunately, the Army's standard for determining body fat is terrible but it's what we have to deal with.

This should be a major concern for you and your Recruiter. If you need more time to drop the weight, talk to your Recruiter about pushing out your ship date. If you're at 35% this close to your ship date, this may not even be an option for you, they may do it without your approval if you're "at risk". Once you're within 45 days of your ship date, you're locked in to that date. At 45 days, the State pays the training installation for your training seat. If you don't make the BF, then the State eats that payment. Thus, it's a major concern for all involved.

Comment

Will I get in huge trouble if that happens? Please tell me they will for sure not discharge me for something like this. And I agree, the way they measure BF% is so inaccurate. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Evy94 View Post
                Will I get in huge trouble if that happens? Please tell me they will for sure not discharge me for something like this. And I agree, the way they measure BF% is so inaccurate. :P
                You not even a Soldier and criticizing the BF tests. Very cynical. I am having two NCOs that are on the verge of chapter because of nearly 8 years of active service, they cannot pass their PT or BF test. I tell them to not blame the tests but blame themselves for falling out of compliance.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                  You not even a Soldier and criticizing the BF tests. Very cynical. I am having two NCOs that are on the verge of chapter because of nearly 8 years of active service, they cannot pass their PT or BF test. I tell them to not blame the tests but blame themselves for falling out of compliance.
                  I recently enlisted and had some issues with the initial BF test. It's inaccurate, but it is what it is. I was pissed off for a couple hours on the long ass drive back from MEPS, then I sucked it up and realized losing more weight was only going to help me in my career with the Guard. I went back and passed tape...ship date is coming up in a few weeks.

AFAIK, you have to pass tape at MEPS when you ship and then have 6 months to get to the lower standard after initial procurement. We can debate the accuracy of the tape test all day and night..but I just found eating healthier, continuing to CrossFit, and adapting to the tape test helped a lot more than trying to game the system somehow.

Just my .02...

Comment

Easybreazy, so you are a new poster that just saw my response and had to create an account and reply? Not a friend of Evy's?

Comment

You may not get in as much trouble as your Recruiter will. This is something that should've been tracked since you enlisted. It is entirely up to the the Recruiter and his Chain of Command if they decide to retain you, get you a new ship date or discharge you.

Comment

I don't mean to offend anyone. I can't help but feel negative towards the way they measure body fat % based on my current situation. But you are right, this should have been measured and tracked way better than how I've handled it so far. My recruiter said I would not get in trouble, so that's a relief. Thank you all for your advice. I do plan on working my butt off these next two weeks to get under the body fat % so I can go to basic.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                          Easybreazy, so you are a new poster that just saw my response and had to create an account and reply? Not a friend of Evy's?
                          Haha...negative...I've actually had an account for a bit but never post because it's usually a lot of the same stuff over and over. Now that I've actually signed and been through a little of the process, I can contribute a bit more too.

Comment

I don't mean to offend anyone. I can't help but feel negative towards the way they measure body fat % based on my current situation. But you are right, this should have been measured and tracked way better than how I've handled it so far. My recruiter said I would not get in trouble, so that's a relief. Thank you all for your advice. I do plan on working my butt off these next two weeks to get under the body fat % so I can go to basic.
                            Weren't you already measured this way once when enlisting?

Comment

Yes, and I passed. But just barely. And it's not like I'm lazy and let myself gain weight, because I've lost a lot of weight. I just have large hips and a large waist...:P

Comment

Working...
                              X