X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 mile run & RSP

Alright, I'm new here so I haven't explored yet. But, I have a question about the 2 Mile Run on the APFT & what it's like at RSP. I'm 17, I got my GED today, and I'm doing a bunch of paperwork July 10, 2013, this includes the ASVAB. I'm enlisting into the NJ National Guard hopefully as 11b. The 2 mile run question; How do I manage to get my time to 13 minutes? I do jog every night, and I probably knockout a mile in 9 minutes, maybe 10. The sit ups & push ups I can knock out easily, I just want to know about the running. I do stretch my legs before I jog, and I jog every night if the weather's good and I use the weekends as relax days. All I need to know is; How can I knock out the 2 miles in 13 minutes? After about 3/4 of a mile jogging I start breathing heavily, and I'll have to stop. So actually, it's more of a how do I control my breathing and be better at running? What is RSP like? Is it basically just a miniature basic training in one weekend per month? That's all my questions for now.

Re: 2 mile run & RSP

To gain speed you need to do intervals/sprints.

Also, you need to build your endurance by being able to consistently run/jog the entire 2 miles & then some. Don't stop but rather do a slow paced jog until you get your breathing manageable again, then work back up to your previous pace. Eventually, you'll be able to go longer and not be winded!
    Last edited by bai78; July 3rd, 2013, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bai78 View Post
      To gain speed you need to do intervals/sprints.

Also, you need to build your endurance by being able to consistently run/jog the entire 2 miles & then some. Don't stop but rather do a slow paced jog until you get your breathing manageable again, then work back up to your previous pace. Eventually, you'll be able to go longer and not be winded!
      What exactly do I do for the intervals & sprints? I'm going to try and do 2 miles tonight when I go for a jog.

Comment

I'm not a fitness expert, but below is some of the types of routines that I have done in the past. If you do a search of the forum there are some really good workout routines that others who are more knowledgable have posted as well. To get ready for the running portion of the PT test you actually have to train for longer distances and times than are necessary. This gets your body used to longer runs, so a 2 mile run becomes nothing.

Day 1 - Intervals (30 seconds of sprints, 30 seconds of walking, 30 seconds of sprints). Do this cycle to where you you can do at least 4 or 5 repititions and if you can build it to 10 repititions. Then spend a half hour or so doing some strength training such as pushups, situps, weights or something, then do the sprint cycle again 4 or 5 times. The total workout is probably under an hour.
        Day 2 - Long jog - about 3 miles keeping a 9 to 10 minute pace (work up to it)
        Day 3 - Intervals (30 seconds of sprints, 30 seconds of jogging, 30 seconds of sprints). Notice that your jogging instead of walking. same as day 1
        Day 4 - Long walk, with a pack if you can. Start off with a light weight pack, but get to where your carrying 35 to 40lbs for 3 or 4 miles
        Day 5 - Longer jog - About 4 or 5 miles (if you have to walk that is fine, but build up to where you don't).

The long jogs get you lungs and legs accustomed to running for great distances. The sprints work your lungs and legs in a completely different way and build up a different set of muscles. The long walks with a pack help build up the hip flexor muscles and lower back muscles (which will help with your run, situps and pushups).

As for RSP, it's not usually a mini-basic trianing. It is designed to get you more familiar with Military life (marching, formations, Army values, etc). Some states have really put a lot of work and throught into it, other states not so much. I don't have specific info for the NJ Guard, but maybe someone on this forum will be able to talk more to that.

Comment

Originally posted by Portree228 View Post
          I'm not a fitness expert, but below is some of the types of routines that I have done in the past. If you do a search of the forum there are some really good workout routines that others who are more knowledgable have posted as well. To get ready for the running portion of the PT test you actually have to train for longer distances and times than are necessary. This gets your body used to longer runs, so a 2 mile run becomes nothing.

Day 1 - Intervals (30 seconds of sprints, 30 seconds of walking, 30 seconds of sprints). Do this cycle to where you you can do at least 4 or 5 repititions and if you can build it to 10 repititions. Then spend a half hour or so doing some strength training such as pushups, situps, weights or something, then do the sprint cycle again 4 or 5 times. The total workout is probably under an hour.
          Day 2 - Long jog - about 3 miles keeping a 9 to 10 minute pace (work up to it)
          Day 3 - Intervals (30 seconds of sprints, 30 seconds of jogging, 30 seconds of sprints). Notice that your jogging instead of walking. same as day 1
          Day 4 - Long walk, with a pack if you can. Start off with a light weight pack, but get to where your carrying 35 to 40lbs for 3 or 4 miles
          Day 5 - Longer jog - About 4 or 5 miles (if you have to walk that is fine, but build up to where you don't).

The long jogs get you lungs and legs accustomed to running for great distances. The sprints work your lungs and legs in a completely different way and build up a different set of muscles. The long walks with a pack help build up the hip flexor muscles and lower back muscles (which will help with your run, situps and pushups).

As for RSP, it's not usually a mini-basic trianing. It is designed to get you more familiar with Military life (marching, formations, Army values, etc). Some states have really put a lot of work and throught into it, other states not so much. I don't have specific info for the NJ Guard, but maybe someone on this forum will be able to talk more to that.
          If I don't have a pack what should I do? I'm going to start the intervals tonight or tomorrow. I might just try & push through and see if I can do 2 miles, and if I can then shorten my time by speeding up. I have 7 days until I enlist, and probably about a month until my PT test.

Comment

Your RSP PT test is meaningless. Don't sweat it. Once you know your ship date, set up a plan to be beating your minimum 2-mile time by 1 minute by the time you ship. TAKE IT SLOW. A lot of people who aren't used to running get muscle, joint, and even bone injuries by trying to do things their body isn't used to. You should try to push your ship date as far back as possible to give you plenty of time to reach your goal, so you don't feel the need to give yourself shin splints.

Comment

Originally posted by CNelsonNJ View Post
              If I don't have a pack what should I do? I'm going to start the intervals tonight or tomorrow. I might just try & push through and see if I can do 2 miles, and if I can then shorten my time by speeding up. I have 7 days until I enlist, and probably about a month until my PT test.
              Any backpack will do. If you don't have weights to put in them then water bottles and gatorade bottles will do fine. They weigh a lot and are easy to fit into a backpack.

Comment

Working...
              X