X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active Duty -> Guard, APFT

I was honorably discharged from active duty last fall. I was meeting all standards (APFT, height weight) and joined the guard. I haven't done a damn thing since I got out, no PT, not eating healthy, just going about my wonderful civilian life eating all the crap food I couldn't before and drinking beer. I'm certain I will have my first APFT with the guard very soon, and I know I won't pass all three events and tape.

Someone told me there is a grace period for those transitioning from AD to Guard of maybe 12 months or something where you can't be given (or perhaps punished for failing) a record PT test. He said it's to allow you to adjust to your new lifestyle, doing PT on your own, and all that.

Is there any truth to this? I don't mind taking the PT test to see where I'm at. From what others have said, failing a APFT at some point in your career is pretty common in the NG, but I'd rather not have a failed record APFT in my file.

Re: Active Duty -> Guard, APFT

No. I recommend having a frank conversation with your chain of command, and see if you can develop a path to success. Even if you do have a grace period, you'll still need to pass weight/APFT eventually. Develop a realistic path to a 60/60/60, take a record APFT to meet the standard, and then continue on self-improvement to a 270.

Comment

Originally posted by RTR View Post
      I was honorably discharged from active duty last fall. I was meeting all standards (APFT, height weight) and joined the guard. I haven't done a damn thing since I got out, no PT, not eating healthy, just going about my wonderful civilian life eating all the crap food I couldn't before and drinking beer. I'm certain I will have my first APFT with the guard very soon, and I know I won't pass all three events and tape.

Someone told me there is a grace period for those transitioning from AD to Guard of maybe 12 months or something where you can't be given (or perhaps punished for failing) a record PT test. He said it's to allow you to adjust to your new lifestyle, doing PT on your own, and all that.

Is there any truth to this? I don't mind taking the PT test to see where I'm at. From what others have said, failing a APFT at some point in your career is pretty common in the NG, but I'd rather not have a failed record APFT in my file.
      If you know the standards that were required for you on AD (which is the same for NG); there is no excuse for you to fall below it. I have had Soldiers tell me that they need leadership to push them (and some of these are NCOs) so they can remain in compliance and I disagree with that; especially if you are a leader. You should have the self-discipline to keep yourself in shape while serving. I say that because I have always passed the APFT regardless of what component I have served in because that is what is EXPECTED of me. I been doing that from age 17 to 47. Hopefully, I wont let myself go when I retire.

If you fail and get flagged (hence losing state TA benefits), you have nobody to blame but yourself.

Comment

From what others have said, failing a APFT at some point in your career is pretty common in the NG, but I'd rather not have a failed record APFT in my file.
        This is the ******* problem right here. Once it's accepted, now it's acceptable. Don't be a fat sloppy out of shape soldier! It's disgraceful to the Army and the uniform I wear proudly. Soldiers walking around with their guts hanging down below their belt buckles lose respect before they even open their mouth. They may be 'in the Army', but they are not soldiers IMO.

Comment

They are just giving you a bunch of BS, don't listen to them, just get in shape and do the best you can to pass your APFT, the standard is the same as active duty. I was recently on orders for a few weeks with active duty soldiers from different places and a lot of them are very misguided when it comes to the guard, some of them think that all the guard does is get drunk during drill weekend and nothing else, so is probably not a good idea to listen to soldiers who know nothing about what we do....
          Last edited by stormtrooper300; June 9th, 2013, 10:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X