X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30lbs down, about 20 left

I have been working towards losing weight to join the Army National Guard and simply to get healthier. I have already lost 30lbs (over the last three months) and I need to lose about 20 more pounds before I can enlist. The 20lbs should put me well within the body fat percentage, but not necessarily at the actual weight requirement. I am not striving directly for the weight requirement because I am of a substantially larger build than the average woman (large bones and more muscle than average). I do not mean this as an excuse, but I would like to enlist as soon as possible and set my date for BCT and AIT a few months out (as close as possible based on availability) so I can fine tune my fitness level even further. I am currently working on a walk to run program since running has never been something I have even really attempted. I am trying to make sure I work hard enough on the program without over-doing it on the running since I know that too much too fast can result in injuries. I also work out on a VigorFit (pretty much the same thing as the Total Gym) to increase my strength as well as doing push-ups, sit-ups, squats, lunges, and jumping jacks. I maintain a relatively healthy diet consisting of mostly fruits, vegetables, and chicken and drink plenty of water. If anyone has any suggestions to promote weight loss it would be greatly appreciated.

My recruiter is pushing me to lose as much weight as possible and always says that he "worked out with a guy once that lost 14lbs in a week." I feel like he is losing faith in me because I am not capable of losing weight that way, nor am I interested in losing weight like that. I want to ensure that I lose the weight in a healthy manner so I am less likely to gain it back. I am looking for a lifestyle change and not simply a quick means to join the military and hope that I don't gain the weight back. I don't know if I can explain this to my recruiter and have him understand since I have tried. I hope he will continue to be understanding and not just write me off as someone who claims to be working towards enlistment, but will never go somewhere.

Sorry for the long post, but I have another question about waivers. Is it possible to get a waiver prior to going to MEPS if you are pretty sure you will need one? For example, I had knee surgery (no hardware or anything like that) at the beginning of 2006. I do not have problems with my knee anymore and consider the surgery a success. I am working towards getting all my medical documents for this currently. Also, I tested positive for TB when I was 13 years-old. I completed treatment, but am pretty much guaranteed to test positive for a TB test in the future. I am not sure if I would need a waiver for this. Since I know that there is a possibility that I will need waivers, is it possible to get the waiver ahead of time to make the MEPS process simpler and more smooth?

Thanks for all info!
    Last edited by Army101; May 14th, 2013, 07:48 AM.

Re: 30lbs down, about 20 left

Yes, you can get waivers processed prior to every being projected to MEPS.

It's actually a much better way to do it and will save you, your recruiter, and MEPS a lot of time and hassle. It's not worth a waisted trip to MEPS just to be turned around and told to go get a waiver. Put all of that out there up front and get the waivers submitted before you ever make the trip.

Comment

If you've lost 30lbs already, just keep doing what you're doing. If you've noticed that your weight loss has started to stall out, you can either add more cardio or decrease calories by a couple of hundred to get it moving again. Crash dieting is going to be counter productive so losing 14lbs in a week if you're not severely overweight is not a good thing. The web/phone app called "myfitnesspal" would probably be a good tool to add to accurately track food/calorie intake if your diet needs some fine tuning.

Keep grinding on your running program and don't skip days. The only thing holding you back from your goal is will/desire to get in. If you keep putting in the work, you'll get there.

Comment

Congratulation on your achievement. Keep going. Losing weight may not be easy but if we are determined to do it, we can achieve our goals.

Comment

Originally posted by eqmcclure View Post
          Yes, you can get waivers processed prior to every being projected to MEPS.

It's actually a much better way to do it and will save you, your recruiter, and MEPS a lot of time and hassle. It's not worth a waisted trip to MEPS just to be turned around and told to go get a waiver. Put all of that out there up front and get the waivers submitted before you ever make the trip.
          Thanks for the advice. Do I just need to ask my recruiter to submit for the waivers as soon as I have all my medical documents? Also, should I request all potential waivers, or just the one that seems the most likely to be required?

Comment

Pretty sure a Recruiter is not going to waste his time writing up a waiver for someone who does not meet height and weight standards before hand.

Comment

Working...
            X