Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Terrible pain in my shin while running...

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Terrible pain in my shin while running...

    Hi again,
    Here's a little information about myself. I'm an 18 year old male enlisted in the New York National Guard with the MOS 35 Foxtrot. I ship to BCT in September and I've have been training really hard to get in shape. The thing is I'm underweight. I'm 5'8 and I weigh 120 pounds, so that makes me 5 pounds under weight for my height. The issue I have been wrestling with is I have to find a way to better my 2 mile run and somehow gain weight but that's not why I'm making this thread. Currently I can run 1 mile in 7 minutes and 2 Miles in 18 minutes so I have a LONG way to go to reach my 14 minute goal in 4 months. I have been running about 2 and half miles a day for about 1 month and lately I have been getting this terrible sharp pain at the bottom of my left shin towards the top of my foot (basically the front of my ankle) every time i put weight on it as I run. I get this pain towards the end of my run (about 1.6 miles in) and every step on my left foot is terrible. Is this normal for a person who is just starting to run a lot everyday or should I see a doctor. Anyone else have this problem and if so how did you remedy it?

    Thanks in advance,
    Kyle

    PS: Also, any tips to a kid trying to better his run time?

  • #2
    Re: Terrible pain in my shin while running...

    Well, I applaud your running daily but when do you let your body rest?

    Cardio is great, but you also need to build up muscle. Instead of running a flat 2.5 miles, trying doing 8 x 30/60s or 60/120s. And vary your workout to running every other day with a weights program on the other days (EX: M - run/cardio, T - weight train, W - run/cardio, TH - weight train, FR - run/cardio).

    The reason you are getting shin splints is you are not allowing your body to rest, not giving it the proteins it needs to heal itself and the like.

    Also, Drink Water!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Terrible pain in my shin while running...

      Originally posted by TxIntel 1978 View Post
      Well, I applaud your running daily but when do you let your body rest?

      Cardio is great, but you also need to build up muscle. Instead of running a flat 2.5 miles, trying doing 8 x 30/60s or 60/120s. And vary your workout to running every other day with a weights program on the other days (EX: M - run/cardio, T - weight train, W - run/cardio, TH - weight train, FR - run/cardio).

      The reason you are getting shin splints is you are not allowing your body to rest, not giving it the proteins it needs to heal itself and the like.

      Also, Drink Water!!
      This. I was running 4+ miles at least 6 days a week back about 2 years ago, and I injured myself. And I was already in awesome all around shape. It's just too much for a body.

      Yes, your pain is common if you start from basically scratch with running. Your body is trying to tell you to cool it. Let yourself recover, and work on establishing your baseline of fitness first.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Terrible pain in my shin while running...

        As far as recovery goes... You can still do forms of cardio (bike, elliptical, etc), just try to keep it non-impact for a little bit. If you keep pounding on it it's going to get worse and take even longer to heal. Maybe take a week or two off running and see how it goes.

        A great alternative is taking a bike, find a steep long hill, ride up as fast as possible, coast down, wait 60s, repeat.


        To gain weight, you are going to have to consume more calories. Write down everything you eat for a few days and add up the calories to see a baseline. Start adding to that total until you see the weight start going up. Adding calories can be easy, an example of this would be a shake of 2 cups milk, 2 tbsp peanut butter, 1 cup oats, 1 banana, 1 scoop of protein powder in a blender. This shake goes down easy and is pushing 1000 calories. Don't go crazy though, if your baseline is 1500-2000 calories don't start eating 4000 a day or the weight you put on will too much, too fast.
        Last edited by laxer32; May 6th, 2013, 04:47 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Terrible pain in my shin while running...

          First off, Thank you guys for your responses, they are truly helpful to nervous kid trying to prepare for BCT. I will take a week off from running to let my body rest as I wasn't before and hopefully I'll be back to my normal self. In response to TxIntel 1978, the reason I was running like that was because I was seeing progress in my time so I figured 'don't try to fix something that isn't broken'. During my first RSP drill (about a month ago) I ran the 1 mile in 10 mins and the 2 mile in over 24 mins so for me to see my time decrease about 2 mins a week I was ecstatic to say the least. But I will give that work out a try, so thank you for that. In response to laxer32, I am monitoring my calorie intake and trying to balance out the amount I burn with the amount I take in. I understand that at the end of the day, I need to have consumed and withhold more calories than I burn off. By the way I have been taking a protein shake with a huge amount of calories but I don't know if i should post it on this forum. And to eqmcclure, I was running about the same amount a few months ago before meps and thats how I lost all the weight. I was 130 in febuary and I was running 5 miles a day and I went to meps in april and I was surprised to find out I lost ten pounds so I'll just try to adjust my workout for my body.

          Thank you guys..you really helped me.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Terrible pain in my shin while running...

            Many times shin splints are a result of your gait or wrong shoe. Go to a specialty running shop and have them evaluate your running style and determine the type of shoe needed. Maybe you require more stability or more of a neutral shoe. Sometimes you also need to change your stride. Pay attention to how you run. For example where your foot hits the ground. Heel? Toes? Going to the store and buying any running shoe isn't the best idea. Also give your body different terrain to run on. Do trails, tracks, asphalt and grass. Just a suggestion.

            Oh yeah, like the guys above mentioned. Recovery is VERY important. I could be way off and you're just taxing the hell out of your body.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Terrible pain in my shin while running...

              Some of the higher end athletic show stores (like in my area its Playmakers) offer a running clinic (often free). They have you run on a treadmill and teach your how to be a mid-foot runner so you strike with the correct area which helps prevent shin splints. After this clinic and proper shoes my daughter no longer had shin splints for Cross Country.

              I thought I had a torn meniscus until I found out pronate when I run and needed better shoes...turns out it was a hamstring (that wraps around the side of your kneecap). It might be worth having your gait evaluated. Never had a problem since.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Terrible pain in my shin while running...

                Originally posted by TrottingFox View Post
                First off, Thank you guys for your responses, they are truly helpful to nervous kid trying to prepare for BCT. I will take a week off from running to let my body rest as I wasn't before and hopefully I'll be back to my normal self. In response to TxIntel 1978, the reason I was running like that was because I was seeing progress in my time so I figured 'don't try to fix something that isn't broken'. During my first RSP drill (about a month ago) I ran the 1 mile in 10 mins and the 2 mile in over 24 mins so for me to see my time decrease about 2 mins a week I was ecstatic to say the least. But I will give that work out a try, so thank you for that. In response to laxer32, I am monitoring my calorie intake and trying to balance out the amount I burn with the amount I take in. I understand that at the end of the day, I need to have consumed and withhold more calories than I burn off. By the way I have been taking a protein shake with a huge amount of calories but I don't know if i should post it on this forum. And to eqmcclure, I was running about the same amount a few months ago before meps and thats how I lost all the weight. I was 130 in febuary and I was running 5 miles a day and I went to meps in april and I was surprised to find out I lost ten pounds so I'll just try to adjust my workout for my body.

                Thank you guys..you really helped me.
                You can take a break from beating up your lower extremities by hitting the elliptical at the gym. That way you'll maintain your cardio with very little impact to your joints and shins. I would advise against sitting around for than a couple days though. I would also suggest simply drinking chocolate soy milk. Most of those protein drinks have too much sugar, fat and calories. You will find that if you give your shins about 4 days of rest while you hit the elliptical that your run times will be even better.

                Mizuno running shoes are the best in the business hands down. I've run in all brands--New Balance doesn't fall too far behind. But Mizuno is the absolute best.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	4a44a8ec38df1be04187698cc56901f0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	411
                Last edited by VICEROY06; May 9th, 2013, 01:24 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Terrible pain in my shin while running...

                  Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post

                  Mizuno running shoes are the best in the business hands down. I've run in all brands--New Balance doesn't fall too far behind. But Mizuno is the absolute best.

                  Click image for larger version

Name:	4a44a8ec38df1be04187698cc56901f0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	411
                  I disagree...I have run with New Balance, Asics, Mizuno, etc as I have a couple different issues fromflat feet, I pronate pretty bad and have arthritis in the joints on one foot. I had different issues with all of the above until I found my Sauconys and I'll never wear anything else. I still can't wear heels but I don't have a BIT of pain with the Sauconys, not not shin to arch to toes.

                  It's probably subjective to the runner. I still recommend getting his gait checked. The right shoe cannot 'fix' the wrong strike.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Terrible pain in my shin while running...

                    Originally posted by Chris36 View Post
                    I disagree...I have run with New Balance, Asics, Mizuno, etc as I have a couple different issues fromflat feet, I pronate pretty bad and have arthritis in the joints on one foot. I had different issues with all of the above until I found my Sauconys and I'll never wear anything else. I still can't wear heels but I don't have a BIT of pain with the Sauconys, not not shin to arch to toes.

                    It's probably subjective to the runner. I still recommend getting his gait checked. The right shoe cannot 'fix' the wrong strike.
                    Same here. A former company commander recommended Mizuno's to me and he was an avid runner. I went to a store in NYC in which I got on a treadmill and the salesperson recommended Mizunos as well.

                    They are ok and comfortable but I do not like the thin heel. I felt more comfortable in Nike 360s.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Terrible pain in my shin while running...

                      IMO, speaking as a running back-sized, rugby-playing soldier that averages between 190 to 208 pounds, and has wide size 11 feet, Mizuno is the best. Nike shoes feel heavier and don't last as long. They scratch up too easy, the insole goes flat almost overnight and the soles peel off like bananas. Asics, saucony, and New Balance are about the same--They all run a little too narrow with New Balance having the best width out of the three. The webbing in the front of the shoes aren't as flexible as Mizuno. The soles and insoles in all three wear too quickly with New Balance being the worst of the three. with the right sock Mizuno running shoes feel literally weightless. I chose to take New Balance running shoes with me to BCT. By the end the soles wore flat and began to fall apart. My Mizuno shoes lasted all the way through AIT where we did twice as many group runs, release runs, 60/120s, company runs, beach runs and APFT's. And I've used them through all three 0 phase training at OCS in blistering cold, snow and rain. They feel the same now as the first 2 mile run I did in AIT back in May of 2012. Mizuno shoes are the lightest, most flexible, most durable, and most comfortable running shoe on the market.
                      Last edited by VICEROY06; May 9th, 2013, 08:15 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Terrible pain in my shin while running...

                        Originally posted by VICEROY06 View Post
                        IMO, speaking as a running back-sized, rugby-playing soldier that averages between 190 to 208 pounds, and has wide size 11 feet, Mizuno is the best. Nike shoes feel heavier and don't last as long. They scratch up too easy, the insole goes flat almost overnight and the soles peel off like bananas. Asics, saucony, and New Balance are about the same--They all run a little too narrow with New Balance having the best width out of the three. The webbing in the front of the shoes aren't as flexible as Mizuno. The soles and insoles in all three wear too quickly with New Balance being the worst of the three. with the right sock Mizuno running shoes feel literally weightless. I chose to take New Balance running shoes with me to BCT. By the end the soles wore flat and began to fall apart. My Mizuno shoes lasted all the way through AIT where we did twice as many group runs, release runs, 60/120s, company runs, beach runs and APFT's. And I've used them through all three 0 phase training at OCS in blistering cold, snow and rain. They feel the same now as the first 2 mile run I did in AIT back in May of 2012. Mizuno shoes are the lightest, most flexible, most durable, and most comfortable running shoe on the market.
                        I am 5'11", 215lbs and size 11 and you re-sold me on this lol. My ASICS gels have worn out their lifespan. Are you a recommended for SOLE inserts? They are pricey but if somebody else has a better suggestion.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Terrible pain in my shin while running...

                          Originally posted by Chief Kemosabe View Post
                          I am 5'11", 215lbs and size 11 and you re-sold me on this lol. My ASICS gels have worn out their lifespan. Are you a recommended for SOLE inserts? They are pricey but if somebody else has a better suggestion.
                          I'm 5'8"--My rugby weight is 215 but my 2 mile run time is better at the 190 to 208 weight. I've tried all of the Dr Scholl's sport brands and gels and they just don't feel right. They're either too mushy or too foamy. You have to waste too much time getting them cut just right. And I always end up with a little too much, which makes them bunch up or not enough, which feels like my feet are sliding off the edge of a curb. Not that I'm a salesman for Mizuno but their insoles are bulletproof.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Terrible pain in my shin while running...

                            I got my first pair of Mizunos at a specialty shop after they analyzed my gait. I needed a neutral shoe and was advised to try the Wave Creation series shoe. Best $150 I ever spent. I haven't gone back since then. Agree with VICEROY06. In fact the whole shoe seems to be bulletproof. Do they sell Mizunos for the BCT crowd? Maybe I will just get a new pair before I head to Ft. Jackson and be lucky if they let me use them. If not I will have a new pair waiting for me when I get home.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Terrible pain in my shin while running...

                              Originally posted by AustexJohn View Post
                              I got my first pair of Mizunos at a specialty shop after they analyzed my gait. I needed a neutral shoe and was advised to try the Wave Creation series shoe. Best $150 I ever spent. I haven't gone back since then. Agree with VICEROY06. In fact the whole shoe seems to be bulletproof. Do they sell Mizunos for the BCT crowd? Maybe I will just get a new pair before I head to Ft. Jackson and be lucky if they let me use them. If not I will have a new pair waiting for me when I get home.

                              Glad you like them. Also, the best thing to do is use them only for running. Don't just use them as daily shoes to poke around in. They'll last that much longer. When I bought my Mizuno shoes I put em' away in the closet and wore my other sneakers around for other activities. I never touched them until my first APFT at AIT.

                              As far as what they sell at BCT--no. They sell second rate running shoes--Asics knock-offs. The LAST thing you need to worry about is your feet while you're trying to get an optimum run time.
                              Last edited by VICEROY06; May 11th, 2013, 08:00 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X