X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help for gaining weight.

At MEPs I weighed in at 152 pounds. I'm 6'4". About two months ago when I decided to join up I weighed 170. The only difference being that I've been working out to try to get into shape for the guard. I'm lookin for tips on gaining good weight, seeing as how the more I work out in an attempt to build heavier muscle, I just burn more weight... I'm right on the threshold for my height and age, but I really don't want to just cut the work out and go back to being a lazy fatass.(exaggeration, I've never exactly been "fat") any suggestions? Also- I'm trying to stay away from any supplements or protein shakes or any of that business. Much obliged.
    -DK

Re: Need help for gaining weight.

Lift weights. You've basically done the hard part already of anyone starting to lift weights. First you cut the pounds, then you build it back up with muscle instead of fat. Get on Google and research a beginner routine. Start doing benchpress, squats, deadlifts, standing press, and dumbell work. This is really your only option to gain weight other than "going back to being a lazy fatass".
    Last edited by Xalyx; March 31st, 2013, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Bulk up for sure. You can put on 10lbs just smoking yourself with common military exercises.

Comment

There's a technique to gaining muscle and weight without becoming fat.

don't be so quick to turn them down, but your standard protein powder can provide you with some good protein and amino acids.

do hard workouts in the gym 4 to 5 days a week for 1 to 2 hours. focus focus on a balance of cardio, weights, and your standards pushups, situps, pulls ups etc.

increase your daily caloric intake, but watch your fats. rice dishes with meat, eggs, or beans is a fun way to experiment in the kitchen. There's a wide variety of flavored rice packets you can guy from the store for a dollar

don't forget to drink lots of water.

I would definitely talk with someone at your local gym to get more specific suggestions for you
        Last edited by Jackal; March 31st, 2013, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DDKrobinHUD View Post
          At MEPs I weighed in at 152 pounds. I'm 6'4". About two months ago when I decided to join up I weighed 170. The only difference being that I've been working out to try to get into shape for the guard. I'm lookin for tips on gaining good weight, seeing as how the more I work out in an attempt to build heavier muscle, I just burn more weight... I'm right on the threshold for my height and age, but I really don't want to just cut the work out and go back to being a lazy fatass.(exaggeration, I've never exactly been "fat") any suggestions? Also- I'm trying to stay away from any supplements or protein shakes or any of that business. Much obliged.
          -DK
          You're going to have to go old school and do it the Arnold Schwarzenegger/ Franco Columbu way, which means in the beginning you'll need to keep your cardio at a minimum and stay away from machines. In the beginning stick to the basics of benching, squats, and deadlifting with barbells and dumbbells or kettlebells only. In the beginning you'll need a high carb, high protein diet and forget about trying to get ripped and cut and all that garbage. Since you're going more for form and function rather than looks I wouldn't worry about trying to have a refined high protein only diet. Once you go downrange all that taylor made dieting will go straight out the window and you'll be chugging all the calories you can when you do get a chance to eat. Yes, as time goes on in your regimen you can add more exercises to your daily routine.

As time goes on you will need to incorporate routine PT exercises (Push-ups, sit-ups, run) into your work-out. Contrary to popular belief, emphasizing your front and side deltoids and triceps rather than your chest will help you destroy the push-ups portion of the PT test. Deadlifts and squats will help you max your sit-ups. Squats will help you get off the line faster and last longer for the first mile of the 2 mile run. I'm leaving out a lot of details mainly because you're going to have to do the work of finding the best routine that suits you on your own. Nevertheless, I will stress that you need to research Arnold's old school encyclopedia and Franco's routine to give you an idea of how you're going to have to give yourself a gutt check and get it done. Finally, there isn't a shred of advice I've given you that I haven't already tried and been successful at myself.
          Last edited by VICEROY06; March 31st, 2013, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the useful suggestions! I definitely plan on following everyone's advice as you guys have certainly spared me no details and there's nothing I hate more than information going to waste haha. Only problem is I'm kind of poor so I can't really afford a gym membership or any weights. Do you folks have any suggestions for things that might be used as a substitute for free weights? I hike a lot so I've tried things like holding logs across my shoulders and doing squats, using big rocks for curls, and doing pull-ups on tree branches, but with this stuff it's hard to gauge how heavy my weights are, an I understand these things not bein developed for exercise might be a little dangerous as well as detrimental to even and proportionate muscle growth, and I've yet to find a good alternative to a bench press (also not many good spotters out in the woods). I'm trying to quit cigarettes too so I just do 15-20 push ups every time I want a smoke and it's been working pretty well. As for the diet I'm not big on rice, but I make a lot of stuff with potatoes and pasta noodles, is that a good substitute?
            Thanks a million again for all these tips!!
            P.S.
            My main source of cardio is skateboarding, which I probably do for around 3 or 4 hours about 3 times a week. Should I cut back? Because I know a common theme on this thread is less cardio more lifting. I also feel like it tones up my legs pretty well- even if it does bear a little higher risk of injury... I'm probably getting a little fold or that junk anyway. Ha
            Last edited by DDKrobinHUD; April 1st, 2013, 12:55 AM. Reason: Post script

Comment

Read Starting Strength by Mark Ripptoe...

Basically lift heavy and eat more.

Comment

Originally posted by DDKrobinHUD View Post
                My main source of cardio is skateboarding, which I probably do for around 3 or 4 hours about 3 times a week. Should I cut back? Because I know a common theme on this thread is less cardio more lifting. I also feel like it tones up my legs pretty well- even if it does bear a little higher risk of injury... I'm probably getting a little fold or that junk anyway. Ha
                Forget about skateboarding. You're wasting your time. May as well just run around the block a few times.

How poor are you, guy?

Can you get access to a car? If you can, then the best I can tell you is to practice pushing and pulling a car or truck in an empty parking lot or an abandoned or rarely traveled stretch of road. Get yourself some good heavy duty chains or ropes. figure out a way to harness and pad yourself so you can pull the car behind you. Also practice pushing the car. This is the SAME regimen we generally use in football and rugby when I played at the University of Alabama. You know--the SEC and BCS championship winningest athletic program in the south.

Don't forget to have someone in the car that you can trust to hit the brakes when you need them to.

Comment

Dirt poor. Like selling my plasma to pay my phone bill poor. Haha. But that's what I figured about the skating thing. I do have a beat to hell old Chevy, so ill definitely drag her around. Thanks again never would have thought of that!

Comment

If you don't have access to weights try a local park. You can usually use them for free.

Comment

Working...
                    X